• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoko13
    Bulldog Fan
    • Apr 2018

ESPN hates Gonzaga

With Duke losing and Gonzaga in position to take over the spot as THE #1 TEAM IN AMERICA, I expected to see some mention of Gonzaga on the College Basketball page of espn.com. However, checking the page out a few minutes ago I found NOTHING!!

I know the level of National respect is generally up for our magnificent program but this disrespect by ESPN is almost more than I can handle!

Stepping off my soapbox now....
  • gonstu
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

A blowout win over Pepperdine is just not interesting to anyone but us zag fans unfortunately.

Comment

• krozman
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2008

Gonzaga taking over #1 isn't newsworthy anymore. We're one of those teams now.
      Krozman
      GU student 1996-2000
      Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• CdAZagFan
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2013

Watched Scott Van Pelt tonight after Sportscenter and he had a nice feature on the team - highlights of the game, talked about how the Zags weren’t getting the attention they deserve, and talked about how they can win it all this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• DZ
          Zag for Life
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by CdAZagFan View Post
          Watched Scott Van Pelt tonight after Sportscenter and he had a nice feature on the team - highlights of the game, talked about how the Zags weren’t getting the attention they deserve, and talked about how they can win it all this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Van Pelt has given us major respect on several occasions. My favorite is his segment "One Big Thing: The Zags Are Tougher than YOu Think " It was aired the night they beat West Virginia

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
          Mark Twain.

Comment

• rawkmandale
            Banned
            • Feb 2007

Neil Everett called us "America's Team" while showing Pepperdine highlights. They didn't mention Josh Perkins' new record, however, despite video of the 669 sign in the Kennel Club.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by rawkmandale View Post
              Neil Everett called us "America's Team" while showing Pepperdine highlights. They didn't mention Josh Perkins' new record, however, despite video of the 669 sign in the Kennel Club.

I think I recall digging around once upon a time ago and learning that he is from Spokane.

Comment

• bartruff1
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2010

ESPN loves Gonzaga....and the Davenport Hotel....they televise a half dozen games a year...even a occasional Game Day...

Gonzaga is just a great story almost to good to be true...cannot be ignored ...

Comment

• Spoko13
                  Bulldog Fan
                  • Apr 2018

I drink as much of the Zag Kool-Aid as the rest of you, but despite a few nice mentions on air, their NCAA men’s basketball web page had no mentions as of my post.....and no, a note in the Lunardi bracketology that they are the #1 seed in the West doesn’t count.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gonstu View Post
                    A blowout win over Pepperdine is just not interesting to anyone but us zag fans unfortunately.
                    Hmmm... .Scott Van Pelt talked about the Zags almost at the top of his broadcast. Whoever runs the website portion has been biased against the Zags way before this season. Zags never get a blip on the website.
                    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• former1dog
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                      ESPN loves Gonzaga....and the Davenport Hotel....they televise a half dozen games a year...even a occasional Game Day...

Gonzaga is just a great story almost to good to be true...cannot be ignored ...
                      Quoted for truth. I'm not sure individuals who think ESPN hates Gonzaga know or recognize the important part ESPN has played in the success of Gonzaga Men's Basketball. It isn't hard to figure it out, so I'm going to just let them try.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
                        Quoted for truth. I'm not sure individuals who think ESPN hates Gonzaga know or recognize the important part ESPN has played in the success of Gonzaga Men's Basketball. It isn't hard to figure it out, so I'm going to just let them try.
                        By the same token. Zags do basically get ignored by the website.
                        "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• former1dog
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                          By the same token. Zags do basically get ignored by the website.
                          I know you're using that language to express a frustrated sentiment, but they really don't get "ignored".

In fact, compared to the other 350+ Div I basketball schools I'm guessing Gonzaga gets a lot more stories, mentions and attention on the website than the vast majority.

In terms of $$, positive attention, PR and general love, ESPN in general has been fantastic to Gonzaga this year and for the better part of 15(?) years. I would argue that although most of the credit for this fantastic program we now enjoy goes to Mark Few, Mike Roth, Father Spitzer and the McCarthey Brothers; a solid chunk of credit should go ESPN's way as well.

Comment

• Reborn
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2007

This thread gives us fans a topic for good discussion and debate. However, the word hate is WAY to strong. I don't like that word at all, and maybe it could be changed. Maybe something like ESPN doesn't give the Zags the credit that they deserve. Rui being placed as the 14th best player in MBB this year. However, Clark was rated #3; and certainly is not a sign of hatred by ESPN. The lack of attention that Gonzaga gets is due to the fact that we play in the WCC, and as long as we play in that conference we will receive less attention than the Big 6 conferences. I agree that we are on ESPN a lot, and that this fact helps Gonzaga recruit some of the top players in the world. The problem is that few fans are able to watch the Zags on TV because by the time the game starts many people are already going to bed. I like ESPN a lot. I like their announcers most of the time. I don't like Jay Bilas all that much. I love Dickie V and Bill Walton, and they add to the level of entertainment during the games. Walton said he has seen Gonzaga play 3 times this year. Pretty cool. Could be because the Pac12 has been down this year.

Go Zags!!!
                            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Robzagnut
                              Zag for Life
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Spoko13 View Post
                              I drink as much of the Zag Kool-Aid as the rest of you, but despite a few nice mentions on air, their NCAA men’s basketball web page had no mentions as of my post.....and no, a note in the Lunardi bracketology that they are the #1 seed in the West doesn’t count.

GU gets plenty of love, especially during non-conference. The whole nation and ESPN ignores GU during conference play, because what can they say (over and over and over), "GU wins by 30, again." Once March Madness picks up GU is back in the spotlight. Happens every year.

Comment

Working...
                              X