Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: SLC or San Jose?

98% it’ll be Salt Lake City. Maybe higher (or so I’ve been told).

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Wow.

Few would pick SLC if given the choice?

I watched them beat X and Indiana in 2006
    and
    SD State and Northwestern in 2017

I wasn't able to attend in 2013

I guess you could also count the 2 times I've seen them beat BYU in Provo which takes me to 6-0 in the state of Utah

I have been told by people in the know that the ONLY school in the whole tournament who is allowed to choose their subregional site is the number one overall seed. Since Gonzaga likely won't be the number one overall seed this season, they won't get that choice. However, teams are allowed to contact their league offices who then can reach out to the NCAA committee to indicate their preference. There is no guarantee, but it does plant a seed. Somehow I think Gonzaga has done this But first of all, in order for GU to get San Jose, they need to win out. They need to win their next four games. First things first.

I tend to be cynical regarding the NCAA because they are so concerned about the geography thing that they will literally give the number one overall seed (say from the east) the best overall two and best overall four just because the two and four are east coast teams. There is the classic example of Ohio State from earlier this decade who got stuck with the best overall two (UNC) and the best overall four (UK) even though they were the number 1 overall seed. Even worse, those UNC and UK teams were flooded with NBA prospects.

Gonzaga may have had success in winning games in SLC, but ever since BYU has entered the league, they have faced hostile road crowds from the opening tip. As Coach Few was right to say in 2017, a number seed one doesn't deserve that sort of treatment. Not from the opening tip. If it's close with 3 minutes left in the game, it's totally understandable why the locals would pull for the underdog.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I hope you are wrong for the first time
    Bring back the OCC

Virginia is probably going to lose...if Gonzaga wins out, they will probably be the #1 overall seed ….
    Last edited by bartruff1; 02-26-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I hope you are wrong for the first time
    Let’s hope Gonzaga gets the overall #1 so they can pick their venue.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Wow.

Few would pick SLC if given the choice?
    I don’t think Few would pick SLC, but I also don’t think Few will get the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I have been told by people in the know that the ONLY school in the whole tournament who is allowed to choose their subregional site is the number one overall seed.
    You are correct on that part... from the NCAA page about how the tournament is seeded:

The overall No. 1 seed has the opportunity to select its preferred first- and second-round site and preferred region.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I tend to be cynical regarding the NCAA because they are so concerned about the geography thing...
    This too... it had always been my understanding that ever since the NCAA changed to the pod format, that geography was moved up to paramount importance when selecting first round sites. The language from the NCAA link above says "Teams will remain in or as close to their areas of natural interest as possible." But I couldn't find the exact definition of area of natural interest. The NCAA link also says "the committee shall not place teams seeded on the first four lines at a potential “home-crowd disadvantage” in the first round." I don't know how close SLC comes to that, but it certainly isn't friendly at this point.

Finally, this USA today article from last year has this quote from NCAA media coordinator David Worlock:

When there is minimal relative distance between sites, the committee may exercise discretion when assigning teams to a site,” Worlock said. “The reasons could relate to ease and flexibility of travel options, competitive balance and natural geographic region.
    So I guess it's at the NCAA's discretion on where they put us. I really hope they give us a shot at San Jose, but as GoZags indicated, everything is pointing to the NCAA not giving us that break and sending us to SLC unless we can somehow nab the #1 overall seed.

HOnestly ,odd things can happen between now and 3 weeks ( selection Sunday) but I cannot see us losing a game. This said, We'll go in as a top seed ( probably overall no 1 seed) and a no 1 ranking across the board. We get to chose. SLC or San Jose are the two choices. We do travel well with a large crowd. I don't know why SLC wouldn't embrace the Zags except for the BYU fans not like getting beaten by the Zags. San Jose is fine too. We come as a crowd! lol. Either should be fine.

Does anyone know, how many times (last 20 years) Gonzaga has played on Thursday in March Madness? I can only remember a few times they played Friday, in the opening round.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNation View Post
    Does anyone know, how many times (last 20 years) Gonzaga has played on Thursday in March Madness? I can only remember a few times they played Friday, in the opening round.
    The Zags are (all rounds) 15-6 on a Thursday in the Tournament.

They are 5-4 on a Friday (and 9-7 on a Saturday, and 2-3 on a Sunday).

Oh, and 0-1 on a friggin' Monday (when the whole nation is watching).

Those are the only days the tournament is played.

By the way...........the team is 6-3 in Salt Lake City, and 2-0 in San Jose. BUT, 6-3 in the state of Utah, and 3-4 in California overall.

And to add to the trivia -- the Zags best win date in the Tournament is March 18, where they are 6-0, with an average score margin of 81 to 70.

The Bulldogs are 19-13 when playing in the West Region. Surprisingly, if you consider the other regions, the Zags are .500 or better in EVERY REGION they've been assigned.

East: .500
    Midwest: .500
    South: .700
    Southeast: .500
    West: .594

There's no region that they have a losing record.

Well, I learned a lot with a bit of research. That was fun.

Great work, Cad. Sweet 16 Fridays are rough.......

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post

By the way...........the team is 6-3 in Salt Lake City, and 2-0 in San Jose. BUT, 6-3 in the state of Utah, and 3-4 in California overall.

And to add to the trivia -- the Zags best win date in the Tournament is March 18, where they are 6-0, with an average score margin of 81 to 70.

The Bulldogs are 19-13 when playing in the West Region. Surprisingly, if you consider the other regions, the Zags are .500 or better in EVERY REGION they've been assigned.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    You are correct on that part... from the NCAA page about how the tournament is seeded:

This too... it had always been my understanding that ever since the NCAA changed to the pod format, that geography was moved up to paramount importance when selecting first round sites. The language from the NCAA link above says "Teams will remain in or as close to their areas of natural interest as possible." But I couldn't find the exact definition of area of natural interest. The NCAA link also says "the committee shall not place teams seeded on the first four lines at a potential “home-crowd disadvantage” in the first round." I don't know how close SLC comes to that, but it certainly isn't friendly at this point.

Finally, this USA today article from last year has this quote from NCAA media coordinator David Worlock:

So I guess it's at the NCAA's discretion on where they put us. I really hope they give us a shot at San Jose, but as GoZags indicated, everything is pointing to the NCAA not giving us that break and sending us to SLC unless we can somehow nab the #1 overall seed.
    I'd hope AD Roth has put in a friendly word to selection committee about fan friendly SLC for Fewie's preference for San Jose

Awesome research as usual Caduceus!

I was wondering if having the WCC tournament early was the reason we tended to end up playing in the Thursday/Saturday games (when we were not a protected seed)? It could also be another reason that the NCAA would favor us in SLC over San Jose.

Cad - great work, as always, with the numbers!

Thanks Cad. That was a ton of research.
    Do you have the info on how many times GU opened ( round 1 ) March Madness on a Thursday vs Friday?

Thanks Cad. That was a ton of research.
    Not Really (warning: very helpful .PDF I used for "research").

Do you have the info on how many times GU opened ( round 1 ) March Madness on a Thursday vs Friday?
    I'm afraid I don't. It probably wouldn't be hard to figure out from this page on Sports-Reference.com.

Not Really (warning: very helpful .PDF I used for "research").

I'm afraid I don't. It probably wouldn't be hard to figure out from this page on Sports-Reference.com.

Thanks for the link.

Since the 20 year run, Gonzaga has played in the opening round on Thursday 15 times and 5 times on Friday. Gonzaga also played Maryland on a Thursday back in 1995.

I do wonder if the Zags' success on Thursday/Saturday is in part related to the fact that WCC games are generally on those days. Routine probably makes a difference.

I do wonder if the Zags' success on Thursday/Saturday is in part related to the fact that WCC games are generally on those days. Routine probably makes a difference.

Hopefully Gonzaga goes 3-0 on Mondays and Tuesdays in 2019.

Default San Jose or ???

Is everyone assuming that the Bulldogs will be playing in San Jose? Are any of you hedging your bets by buying tickets elsewhere? Such as Salt Lake City?
    Tickets for the West Regional in Anaheim are pretty cheap right now.
    This should be an interesting year.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    Is everyone assuming that the Bulldogs will be playing in San Jose? Are any of you hedging your bets by buying tickets elsewhere? Such as Salt Lake City?
    Tickets for the West Regional in Anaheim are pretty cheap right now.
    This should be an interesting year.

Go Bulldogs!
    '75 ... I went ahead an merged your new thread with one that had been going strong a few days ago. I agree with you ... "should be an interesting year."

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Thanks for deleting - merging my thread. I have been paying too much attention to the cute women tennis players who are arriving here in Rancho Mirage, CA for the upcoming tennis tournament when I should have been paying more attention to GU basketball.

For what it is worth, it does seem like full-strip tickets for the West Regional are very affordable this year, but maybe I am missing something. And of course it will all come down to Selection Sunday - AKA Saint Patrick's Day.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I'm pretty sure I heard Coach Few say in an interview he would choose San Jose if he could but they will play wherever. (obviously ) I don't think for one minute that BYU fans will embrace us.