Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 151 to 162 of 162

Thread: 2020 - Daishen Nix

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    How do you cool off on a top 15 recruit?!
    Because Jalen Suggs is a top 5 recruit in the country and in the argument for top player in the class.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    How do you cool off on a top 15 recruit?!
    Plus recruiting is more than just being a top 15 in the country, they have to fit what the team is doing, and Suggs fits it better than Nix. Nix will be a great player, but not one that fit perfectly into our plans (aka Suggs).

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Plus recruiting is more than just being a top 15 in the country, they have to fit what the team is doing, and Suggs fits it better than Nix. Nix will be a great player, but not one that fit perfectly into our plans (aka Suggs).
    Are we sure that Nix is not better than Suggs? He was an absolute monster this summer.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    Are we sure that Nix is not better than Suggs? He was an absolute monster this summer.
    Did you see Suggs highlight reel from this summer? He may have had the best summer out of anyone in all of 2020 and 2021 classes. Their skill set is different and both are good, Suggs is what GU wants and needs in a PG.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Don't get me wrong Caldwell, I will be pumped to Jalen here if he ends up committing. My head still spins with some of the names we are attached to. Good times.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Did you see Suggs highlight reel from this summer? He may have had the best summer out of anyone in all of 2020 and 2021 classes. Their skill set is different and both are good, Suggs is what GU wants and needs in a PG.
    I'm clearly no expect as to whether Nix or Suggs is a "better" player - they both seem great (and their class rankings reflect that). It does seem like coach Few has wanted an athletic and tough PG for quite some time. I recall him coaching Marcus Smart at some team USA event and singing his praises an unusually high amount, especially for a player that was never even really recruited to GU. I could see Few focusing more on that type of all-around, football mentality player if he had the choice. Just watching some Suggs highlight videos you can see the different type of demeanor he brings to the court. I see Timme bringing that kind of attitude as well.

    Besides, once Harris and Strawther committed, it was clear that they were also pushing for their friend Suggs to commit. It has to be a nice to have your two other prized recruits do some of the work for you as well. From what Harris and Strawther have said, they are relatively close with Suggs presumably it would make integrating him with some of his teammates an quite an easy process.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane/Phoenix
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Well that was quick. After announcing his final 5 yesterday, Nix commits to UCLA today.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    How do you cool off on a top 15 recruit?!
    Everyone: at some point with top recruits who both play the same position, a decision has to be made. These kids don’t want to play second fiddle to anyone on the court or during the recruiting process. As Caldwell said, once the staff felt comfortable with Suggs, they had a choice to make as Nix was nowhere near as close to confirming a very strong Gonzaga interest. He was literally starting to sort through the process but he did want to feel like the priority of. With Suggs strong interest, we couldn’t provide that in good faith. So, as Caldwell said, we cooled on that recruit and focused 100% on the guy who is extremely interested.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    These kids don’t want to play second fiddle to anyone on the court or during the recruiting process.
    This is a extremely incorrect generalization. If this were true teams like the Blue bloods wouldn't exist in fact usually top players try to team up and recruit each other much like you see with Dom and Julian. Us backing off had to do more with number of scholarships left and the pieces that mark few wanted.
    Last edited by ZagRecruitWatch; 08-21-2019 at 08:41 AM.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    This is a extremely incorrect generalization. If this were true teams like the Blue bloods wouldn't exist in fact usually top players try to team up and recruit each other much like you see with Dom and Harris.
    This is not usually the case when they play the same position.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    This is not usually the case when they play the same position.
    Julian and Suggs are listed at the same position (even tho I think Straw will end up playing the 3). Nix was listed as PG and Suggs is listed as a SG/CG depending on which source you prefer so this still wouldn't have been a problem. But it happens often where two five star recruits commit to the same position UW for example this year, Duke last year, Kentucky last year and almost every year before that. I'm sorry but the argument that schools "back off a player" because they are both high level recruits and demand the ball just doesn't hold any water.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,631

    Default

    Both players have said -- this school made it clear that I am their priority ----Suggs knows he is our priority ---- UCLA made Nix their priority --- if you are watching them play --both are the alphas who run the their teams. Hoping both go on to have great college and then pro careers. UCLA got a very good player and we will have a very good player leading our team also.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •