Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: 2020 - Daishen Nix

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Interesting tidbit. The attitude that GU can't compete on the recruiting trail is the one Coach Fitzgerald subscribed to. Couple of guys that worked for him disagreed. Had they not... most of the people on this board... wouldn't be on this board.

Not saying Zags get Nix... but no reason to assume it is impossible either. You fail 100% of the times you don't try at all.
    You do realize Nix is the #1 pg and the #12 player all around in the class of '20, right? Love your optimism but a bit of a stretch IMO.

https://247sports.com/Player/Daishen-Nix-46050728/

I think that LIZF is saying that it is good to be on his list-- to be in consideration is the first step.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    You do realize Nix is the #1 pg and the #12 player all around in the class of '20, right? Love your optimism but a bit of a stretch IMO.

https://247sports.com/Player/Daishen-Nix-46050728/
    Again, if Few and Monson thought that certain players were out of reach, then this whole deal wouldn't have happened.

Just because he is #12 overall is no reason to give up, which you seem to be advocating. Each time the Zags nab higher and higher ranked players they inch forward in status.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    I think that LIZF is saying that it is good to be on his list-- to be in consideration is the first step.
    First step in the consideration is to actually make an effort and not think they are out of reach.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Interesting tidbit. The attitude that GU can't compete on the recruiting trail is the one Coach Fitzgerald subscribed to. Couple of guys that worked for him disagreed. Had they not... most of the people on this board... wouldn't be on this board.

Not saying Zags get Nix... but no reason to assume it is impossible either. You fail 100% of the times you don't try at all.

This.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    This.
    If Nix commits then Ravet takes the redshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post

So are you suggesting that Ravet plays this year & takes the RS next year bbz?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Last I heard, Nix is 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Last I heard, Nix is 2020.
    He absolutely is. Trawling for the bluest of the bloods. I think BBZ didn’t get that memo.

Nix gets his first crystal ball. For UCLA.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitut...rtPredictions/

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Nix gets his first crystal ball. For UCLA.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitut...rtPredictions/
    By announcing he is not reclassifying, Gonzaga has let up on is recruitment.

Daishen Nix has cut his list to Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Maryland, and Alabama, per his Twitter page

He was really high on Gonzaga at the beginning of his recruitment but with the interest of Suggs im not surprised we didn't make his final list

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Daishen Nix has cut his list to Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Maryland, and Alabama, per his Twitter page

He was really high on Gonzaga at the beginning of his recruitment but with the interest of Suggs im not surprised we didn't make his final list
    Never close. Just bad prognosticating.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post

We also cooled on him, Suggs was our main (only focus). Once we felt comfortable that Suggs was coming to GU we backed way off of Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Never close. Just bad prognosticating.
    Not bad prognosticating, just normal recruiting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    We also cooled on him, Suggs was our main (only focus). Once we felt comfortable that Suggs was coming to GU we backed way off of Nix.
    That makes a lot of sense and fits the narrative I’m forming in my head. I hope I’m not writing young adult fiction— if so, this recruitment season is going to need more werewolves (with the angsty teenager role played by Jazz*)

*I couldn’t resist. I hope that it is taken well)

Evan Daniels
    @EvanDaniels
    ·
    13m
    Daishen Nix, the nation's top point guard prospect, just verbally committed to UCLA, he tells
    @247Sports

"[Mick Cronin] prioritized me from the start."

https://247sports.com/college/basket...CLA-134611328/

How do you cool off on a top 15 recruit?!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Because Jalen Suggs is a top 5 recruit in the country and in the argument for top player in the class.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Plus recruiting is more than just being a top 15 in the country, they have to fit what the team is doing, and Suggs fits it better than Nix. Nix will be a great player, but not one that fit perfectly into our plans (aka Suggs).

Plus recruiting is more than just being a top 15 in the country, they have to fit what the team is doing, and Suggs fits it better than Nix. Nix will be a great player, but not one that fit perfectly into our plans (aka Suggs).
    Are we sure that Nix is not better than Suggs? He was an absolute monster this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    Are we sure that Nix is not better than Suggs? He was an absolute monster this summer.
    Did you see Suggs highlight reel from this summer? He may have had the best summer out of anyone in all of 2020 and 2021 classes. Their skill set is different and both are good, Suggs is what GU wants and needs in a PG.

Don't get me wrong Caldwell, I will be pumped to Jalen here if he ends up committing. My head still spins with some of the names we are attached to. Good times.

Did you see Suggs highlight reel from this summer? He may have had the best summer out of anyone in all of 2020 and 2021 classes. Their skill set is different and both are good, Suggs is what GU wants and needs in a PG.
    I'm clearly no expect as to whether Nix or Suggs is a "better" player - they both seem great (and their class rankings reflect that). It does seem like coach Few has wanted an athletic and tough PG for quite some time. I recall him coaching Marcus Smart at some team USA event and singing his praises an unusually high amount, especially for a player that was never even really recruited to GU. I could see Few focusing more on that type of all-around, football mentality player if he had the choice. Just watching some Suggs highlight videos you can see the different type of demeanor he brings to the court. I see Timme bringing that kind of attitude as well.

Besides, once Harris and Strawther committed, it was clear that they were also pushing for their friend Suggs to commit. It has to be a nice to have your two other prized recruits do some of the work for you as well. From what Harris and Strawther have said, they are relatively close with Suggs presumably it would make integrating him with some of his teammates an quite an easy process.