Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2020 - Daishen Nix

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Plus, they're separate years if Nix is reclassifying. Suggs looks like a super star, Nix looks like a very, very good player, but if you could get Nix, but run the risk of losing Suggs, do you do it? That's the million dollar question.
    No. Because a 5th year Gilder is just as good as a freshman Nix. Gilder keeps suggs seats warm for a year and then Jalen steps in day one and runs the point. If we got Gilder and Jenkins, I think you are shortchanging the team by miles if you think the squad of

Gilder/Ravet
    Jenkins/Kispert
    Kispert/Watson/Arlauskas
    Timme/Watson
    Petrusev/Timme/Ballo

is just a round 32 team.

That is an elite 8 team in my opinion.

Plus, they're separate years if Nix is reclassifying. Suggs looks like a super star, Nix looks like a very, very good player, but if you could get Nix, but run the risk of losing Suggs, do you do it? That's the million dollar question.
    New to the board but long time reader. My simple answer to the above is "YES!" Take Nix in a heartbeat if he wants to come. You take the first of either of these two that wants to commit and be part of this. Everyone, keep in mind the following: Unless NBA rules change, I believe Nix cannot enter the NBA draft until 2021 because that is the year he will turn 19yrs old. So, if Nix reclassifies into 2019, I believe that means we would have him for a minimum of 2 years which means we would a more experienced Nix on that loaded 2020-2021 team. This fact, if accurate, makes Nix a no-brainer for 2019 if he is willing.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    It seems that the outcome of the Nix/Suggs comparison depends on what one needs in their PG. Nix is described as a very good passer and Suggs is described as a score-first guy who can distribute. I'd take either one, and the two could theoretically play together if they wanted to defer to each other a bit.

I'm not sure why most miss the obvious on this one. How many times has Mark Few had TWO point guards STARTING on his teams? Hall and Santangelo, Dickau and Stepp, Pargo and Raivio, Pargo and Bouldin, Goss and Perkins.... I'm probably missing a few combo's.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    New to the board but long time reader. My simple answer to the above is "YES!" Take Nix in a heartbeat if he wants to come. You take the first of either of these two that wants to commit and be part of this. Everyone, keep in mind the following: Unless NBA rules change, I believe Nix cannot enter the NBA draft until 2021 because that is the year he will turn 19yrs old. So, if Nix reclassifies into 2019, I believe that means we would have him for a minimum of 2 years which means we would a more experienced Nix on that loaded 2020-2021 team. This fact, if accurate, makes Nix a no-brainer for 2019 if he is willing.
    Welcome to the board! It's always great to have more Zags fans post here.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    I'm not sure why most miss the obvious on this one. How many times has Mark Few had TWO point guards STARTING on his teams? Hall and Santangelo, Dickau and Stepp, Pargo and Raivio, Pargo and Bouldin, Goss and Perkins.... I'm probably missing a few combo's.
    I agree 100%. My point was does getting Nix make Suggs think twice, especially once the Duke offer comes, and it will.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Pangos Stockton...

I think Nix, or anyone else committing would make Suggs pause for a moment, but thats life. Get em all!!!

I agree 100%. My point was does getting Nix make Suggs think twice, especially once the Duke offer comes, and it will.
    Do you think if Duke land Suggs they are going to stop recruiting 5* guards. If he goes to one of the schools that is recruiting him, he's going to have to tear it up to stay on the court. What if Joes and Boogie Ellis are never NBA guards? They could be there 4 years. This is big time college basketball.. no one is going to stop recruiting great players just because they land one. He's not going to be guaranteed playing time wherever he goes, going to have to earn it no matter the program or who else is on the team.

My perfect world...2 Damian Lillard's and 2 CJ McCollum's....platoon em run run run shoot shoot shoot no fatigue factor ....imagine )

Think of practices

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    No. Because a 5th year Gilder is just as good as a freshman Nix. Gilder keeps suggs seats warm for a year and then Jalen steps in day one and runs the point. If we got Gilder and Jenkins, I think you are shortchanging the team by miles if you think the squad of

Gilder/Ravet
    Jenkins/Kispert
    Kispert/Watson/Arlauskas
    Timme/Watson
    Petrusev/Timme/Ballo

is just a round 32 team.

That is an elite 8 team in my opinion.
    I’m sorry, but that’s insane. Your starting backcourt doesn’t even average five assists per game combined. And your starting shooting guard is 6’1” tall. You’re starting small forward averaged eight points per game, you’re starting center averaged five points per game and your power forward is a true freshman, granted all of their numbers should go up with more minutes, but I just don’t think the team as you have constructed is very talented. If you think that’s an elite 8 team, I don’t know what to tell you. I don’t even think that team is a lock for the tourney, which is my whole point for going with the youth movement. If it’s going to be a rebuilding year anyway, why not let the young players play and gain experience? Having grad transfers only blocks their development for a team that will be lucky to make it out of the first round of March madness. But that is obviously where we disagree. Losing a five star, top 15 talent like Nix for one year of an OK player like Gilder is so detrimental to the team in the long run I don’t even know what to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    Do you think if Duke land Suggs they are going to stop recruiting 5* guards. If he goes to one of the schools that is recruiting him, he's going to have to tear it up to stay on the court. What if Joes and Boogie Ellis are never NBA guards? They could be there 4 years. This is big time college basketball.. no one is going to stop recruiting great players just because they land one. He's not going to be guaranteed playing time wherever he goes, going to have to earn it no matter the program or who else is on the team.
    I’m not sure that I understand your point. Now that RJ Hampton re-classified, Suggs is the number one point guard for 2020. He is a McDonald’s all American top five player. He’s not going to have to fight for playing time, he is a one and done

And your starting shooting guard is 6’1” tall.
    Swap Gilder and Jenkins and now your height "issue" is solved.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I’m sorry, but that’s insane. Your starting backcourt doesn’t even average five assists per game combined. And your starting shooting guard is 6’1” tall. You’re starting small forward averaged eight points per game, you’re starting center averaged five points per game and your power forward is a true freshman, granted all of their numbers should go up with more minutes, but I just don’t think the team as you have constructed is very talented. If you think that’s an elite 8 team, I don’t know what to tell you. I don’t even think that team is a lock for the tourney, which is my whole point for going with the youth movement. If it’s going to be a rebuilding year anyway, why not let the young players play and gain experience? Having grad transfers only blocks their development for a team that will be lucky to make it out of the first round of March madness. But that is obviously where we disagree. Losing a five star, top 15 talent like Nix for one year of an OK player like Gilder is so detrimental to the team in the long run I don’t even know what to say.
    You dont think that starting 5 is very talented? Is that what you just said? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

"Ok player" like Gilder? You're like a shock jock... outrageous takes that have no backing by people that know what they are talking about.

I’m not sure that I understand your point. Now that RJ Hampton re-classified, Suggs is the number one point guard for 2020. He is a McDonald’s all American top five player. He’s not going to have to fight for playing time, he is a one and done
    So then why would he be worried about who we sign? The question you asked is if any of this makes Suggs think twice. If he's a lock to be a one and done (which he's not - IMO), then why would he care? He's going to get recruited over no matter where he goes (ask Boogie Ellis).

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Fair enough. I still just don’t think that having these two good but not great veterans is worth risking on missing out on far superior younger players.

So then why would he be worried about who we sign? The question you asked is if any of this makes Suggs think twice. If he's a lock to be a one and done (which he's not - IMO), then why would he care? He's going to get recruited over no matter where he goes (ask Boogie Ellis).
    He’s not going to get recruited over, that’s my point. Boogie Ellis was in the mid 30s, Suggs is currently number nine or 10 and will be top five by the end of the season. My point is everything I’ve read and research is that he loves Gonzaga and the only school that he would leave us for his Duke. Trey Jones will be gone after this year who also happens to be from Minneapolis. Duke will offer Suggs. That is my point.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    You dont think that starting 5 is very talented? Is that what you just said? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

"Ok player" like Gilder? You're like a shock jock... outrageous takes that have no backing by people that know what they are talking about.
    OK, if you wish to just insult me, I will bow out of the conversation now. I have an opinion that differs from yours, You don’t appear to be interested in having a civil conversation just condesending emoji’s and insults.

Let's keep this forum about the recruits please and not about each other. We all have opinions, some we agree with and some we don't. I love seeing everyone's takes, no matter how different they are from mine.

He’s not going to get recruited over, that’s my point. Boogie Ellis was in the mid 30s, Suggs is currently number nine or 10 and will be top five by the end of the season. My point is everything I’ve read and research is that he loves Gonzaga and the only school that he would leave us for his Duke. Trey Jones will be gone after this year who also happens to be from Minneapolis. Duke will offer Suggs. That is my point.
    Everything here is hypothetical. We'll just agree to disagree.

Everything here is hypothetical. We'll just agree to disagree.
    True and fair enough

Default Kentucky Enters the Fray

"According to Ben Roberts of the Lexington Herald-Leader, [Kentucky] assistant coach Joel Justus paid a visit to five-star point guard Daishen Nix on Thursday."

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2019/5/4/...ansas-jayhawks
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Good chance both will be here.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Good chance both will be here.
    I'm saying that the way he had the lineup, the SG was "too small". All he had to do was move Gilder to SG and now the height is fine.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Bingo……..web. More to come.

caldwell - any updates on Nix? With Suggs recruitment trending in such a positive direction, is there any risk still pursuing Nix for 2019?

Gilder and Jenkins likely would not even play together, no?