• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zagsfanforlife
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Yup....tea leaves say he's looking elsewhere.
    Explain? Just because the big boys are after him? Hes the #2 pg in the class.. he would have already known the big boys would be after him and so does GU. If they didnt think they had a chance, they wouldnt have tried. And FWIW, i follow suggs on social media... he is still liking posts about Gonzaga, Holmgrem is liking posts referencing the two together, and Suggs is screenshotting Strawther images that reference suggs coming to GU. In addition, Julian did a live video on IG and was asked about Suggs and he said he feels "fairly confident" he is coming to GU.

I am not saying it will happen and have no inside info... just based on his social media activity, i would not rule out the possibility at all.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
      Explain? Just because the big boys are after him? Hes the #2 pg in the class.. he would have already known the big boys would be after him and so does GU. If they didnt think they had a chance, they wouldnt have tried. And FWIW, i follow suggs on social media... he is still liking posts about Gonzaga, Holmgrem is liking posts referencing the two together, and Suggs is screenshotting Strawther images that reference suggs coming to GU. In addition, Julian did a live video on IG and was asked about Suggs and he said he feels "fairly confident" he is coming to GU.

I am not saying it will happen and have no inside info... just based on his social media activity, i would not rule out the possibility at all.
      Excellent post.

Comment

• cggonzaga
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
        this actually isn't true...opposite in fact (more highly ranked bigs start off careers as backups as many are still quite raw, not so with the guards)...elite pg's these days rarely go into situations where they might be a backup...it would be an exception to the norm as they are basically guaranteed starters even at the blue bloods. it might be possible to convince two guys to play together, but not likely unless they have a previously established relationship.

as an aside, if nix reclassifies and becomes a zag, he would be the highest rated recruit ever (though not first consensus 5 star...espn has him as the top 4 star and number 25 overall in 2020).

if nix does come next year, suggs most likely goes elsewhere or if he really absolutely loves gonzaga, waits to see if nix either struggles some in the coming year / or declares for the draft before making a decision...and yes, the current "plan b" at gonzaga is a potential one and done...chew on that.
        I’d like to see the numbers/facts that back this up? I’m not saying it doesn’t happen but I don’t think it’s as much as you think.

Comment

• Hooray4Daye&Gray
          Kennel Club Alum
          • Oct 2008

Correct. These are actual “tea leaves.”

And about 100x more telling than the random mood shifts of posters that have never logged into Twitter.

Comment

• Zagceo
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
            Correct. These are actual “tea leaves.”

And about 100x more telling than the random mood shifts of posters that have never logged into Twitter.
            very very true......but.....we are talking about high school kids and when blue bloods come sniffing its different. I'm thrilled to be at the table and have positive things said by recruits about Zags but when the decisions are made behind closed doors I won't be surprised if UK Dook UNC KU get the kid.....and I believe its because of WCC not Gonzaga Spokane or Coaches. its our achilles

Comment

• jazzdelmar
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
              very very true......but.....we are talking about high school kids and when blue bloods come sniffing its different. I'm thrilled to be at the table and have positive things said by recruits about Zags but when the decisions are made behind closed doors I won't be surprised if UK Dook UNC KU get the kid.....and I believe its because of WCC not Gonzaga Spokane or Coaches. its our achilles
              You’re killing their narrative, Cee..

Comment

• hooter73
                Zag for Life
                • Jun 2008

Wiltjer in high school was all but in the bag until Kentucky made one phone call...

Comment

• webspinnre
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
                  Wiltjer in high school was all but in the bag until Kentucky made one phone call...
                  This is what I keep thinking back to.
                  I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• strikenowhere
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2009

This...isn't exactly true, is it? This was the conventional board wisdom but I could swear that some board elders, after Wiltjer came aboard, noted that Wiltjer was looking to head to Berkeley.

Comment

• Hooray4Daye&Gray
                      Kennel Club Alum
                      • Oct 2008

And then the Zags made their 21st straight tournament. And their 5th straight Final Four. And the National Championship game. Things have drastically changed since then.

We ARE the big dog. If players want recent deep March runs, GONZAGA is the play more than Kentucky, more than Duke.

Now if a kid wants to get paid, or have his family put in a mansion, than fine. The cheaters will always get those guys.

What do you think fans of “blue bloods” like UCLA and Indiana say when Gonzaga gets involved with a player they are after? “Crap, why would he come to our school when he could play for Mark Few and an annual championship contender?”

I don’t see Suggs breaking Dom and Julian’s hearts to play for some late coming blue blood with players that aren’t his friends and recruiters that he doesn’t trust.

Comment

• bdmiller7
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jun 2017

And then the Zags made their 21st straight tournament. And their 5th straight Final Four. And the National Championship game. Things have drastically changed since then.

We ARE the big dog. If players want recent deep March runs, GONZAGA is the play more than Kentucky, more than Duke.

Now if a kid wants to get paid, or have his family put in a mansion, than fine. The cheaters will always get those guys.

What do you think fans of “blue bloods” like UCLA and Indiana say when Gonzaga gets involved with a player they are after? “Crap, why would he come to our school when he could play for Mark Few and an annual championship contender?”

I don’t see Suggs breaking Dom and Julian’s hearts to play for some late coming blue blood with players that aren’t his friends and recruiters that he doesn’t trust.
                        I must have missed 4 of those final fours.

Comment

• Ladyzag12
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Mar 2019

When they talk to him about the NBA and program tradition and all the links they have to shoe companies.

Comment

• Hooray4Daye&Gray
                            Kennel Club Alum
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post
                            I must have missed 4 of those final fours.
                            Typo. Sweet sixteen. The longest running streak of its kind.

For LadyZags’ “When they talk to him about the NBA and program tradition and all the links they have to shoe companies,” who has more early entry draft players than Gonzaga? And don’t act like we haven’t had recent lottery picks who were/are rotation players in the NBA playoffs. And what better tradition than making the tournament every year they’ve been alive. Kids could care less about John Wooden. And lastly, Gonzaga has a freaking Nike deal. Want to talk about our ESPN deal, too?

Gonzaga is just as synonymous with college basketball as any other program in the country. And for the 2020 and 2021 kids, Mark Few is the most stable, guaranteed top flight coach out there. Some of these guys could get nailed for cheating, and Coach K is going to retire some day. Not to mention he’s a fantastic coach to learn from without getting physically and verbally tormented by a guy like Izzo, who seems to be the biggest “competition” for Suggs.

Comment

• Ladyzag12
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Mar 2019

Social media is not a top indicator for me. This morning he said he wanted to be a package deal with rj Hampton and Jalen Green which definitely would not happen.
                              Last edited by Ladyzag12; 05-01-2019, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• bartruff1
                                Zag for Life
                                • Jan 2010

My family has promised to shoot me if I ever sign on to Twitter....

Comment

Working...
                                X