Thread: Lady Zags Stay at #13 in the AP Poll - 2/11/2019

Default Lady Zags Stay at #13 in the AP Poll - 2/11/2019

The latest AP Poll shows the lady zags staying at #13, which is not entirely unexpected. Some of the poll makes absolutely no sense.

Stanford gets blown out at home by 40 and moves up 1?? Conversely, Oregon State who lost to Stanford on the farm but beat Cal in Berkley falls two (2) spots?? ND loses to #25 Miami by 7 in Miami then destroys #24 Florida State by 27 at home and they fall 2 spots. Who did Stanford pay off to get to move up 1 spot after the debacle they put on yesterday?

Florida State beats a good #9 NCST team by 5, but gets their laundry handed to them by 27 at ND and they move up 3? Texas A&M beats Mississippi and loses in OT to a good Missouri team in Columbia and they drop 4?

NCST loses twice in a week to an unranked, but very good UNC team and to #24 Florida State and they only drop 3 spots.

Consistency is certainly not very prevalent in the AP Poll.

Better keep winning Ladies, lord knows what the AP writers would do with a loss.

AP Poll Link: http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

ZagDad

I think understanding what the pollsters are thinking is impossible. It really doesn't make sense from week to week which teams go up and which go down, or how much they move.

I thought you'd be happy ZagDad that South Dakota entered the poll, so GU isn't the only mid major. All it took was a 22-3 record and a 9 game winning streak (coupled w/ Utah's 4 straight losses to drop them out of the top 25).

You are correct, that I am glad another mid-major final got in. Remember it was only 2 weeks ago that BYU was in and then they laid an egg. Let's hope SD fairs better than BYU did.

Expected SD would get in this week because they were 26 last week and as you said, Utah had four losses.

Congrats to SD for their very first listing in the AP Poll. Long overdue for a very good program that has been very good for many years.

ZagDad

I'm convinced the pollsters don't always watch the games, at least not the west coast games........there is no reason for Stanford to move up a game after a horrible loss.....

but its an old record...........

Dennis Patchin the radio sports guy has stated a few times now that he doesn't always watch the games.....and we know that newspaper gets things massively wrong....oh how I remember Hester calling Eli a seldom used senior when we played EWU when she was a very active soph as I remember...

Yeah, I was re-watching the Portland game and the male, play-by-play announcer kept calling JT "Tau"son instead of Townsend.

Most of the schools provide a pronunciation sheet to the announcers so they can get it right. Guess GU forgot or, more likely, the announcer forgot to look at it.

ZagDad

Gonzaga ranked #12 (Unchanged from last week):

USA Today/Coaches Poll - Week 15