Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next man up: Filip Petrusev

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    And I believe Killian will help win a big game in March ... or perhaps April.
    maybe so....if you read what Petrusev said about Tillie’s return and how it’s help his game..Tillie might have already made impact.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    His time is literally now.

Will Coach Few trust our freshman big in March? We will need him BIG time.

Or should we expect Rui and Clarke to play tight or limit defensive aggression to avoid fouls or fatigue? Or play 40 mins?

A collective gasp and sigh after the 2nd foul call in 1st half, or a 3rd in 2nd half?

Coach Few will need to loosen up on Petrusev's leash the rest of the season.

Get him 20+ mins per game from here on out. If it costs us a few points, say a 20 point win instead of 35, who cares. Get him comfortable, confident, & ready to contribute at the highest level!
    Exactly! If he’s ready, and I think he will be if he gets your suggested 20+ minutes a game, he has the chance to be a true difference maker at the dance. What’s a difference maker? For me it’s a player that gets you no less than one and possibly more wins at the dance that you wouldn’t have won without him.
    I think Petrol could be just that important.

I think Petrusev has the potential to be this team's best on-ball defender against traditional post-up bigs. Rui is strong and is that guy right now. If Petrusev gets tougher his length gives him the ability to challenge shots that Rui can't. Rui can play good, strong positional post defense but a 7 footer can get his shot up over Rui. Clarke is very gifted as a shot blocker, obviously, but it becomes really hard to challenge a shot if his man knows how to throw his body into him because for Clarke it requires jumping to challenge the shot.

I feel just as confident with Petrusev coming in off the bench as I do with Tillie coming off the bench. In fact I feel a little more confident. I think the Zags play better with Filip in because Tillie has played so little this year. Tillie has not been shooting well at all this year from the outside, and Petrusev has been. Petrusev did get 11 points against Duke, CDC, and played great, imo. He's really good offensively. As has been said, Jones will play more now, and I definitely feel that that is something very good. I really feel good when Jeremy is in the game.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Good point reborn. Jones is a very very good player! Adds a new slant to our game. Both of these players will carry us a long way while Tills is getting patched up. Jones is so reliable and consistent. Filip looks much improve over the past month.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I think Petrusev has the potential to be this team's best on-ball defender against traditional post-up bigs. Rui is strong and is that guy right now. If Petrusev gets tougher his length gives him the ability to challenge shots that Rui can't. Rui can play good, strong positional post defense but a 7 footer can get his shot up over Rui. Clarke is very gifted as a shot blocker, obviously, but it becomes really hard to challenge a shot if his man knows how to throw his body into him because for Clarke it requires jumping to challenge the shot.
    I saw several moments last night where he really bodied up a guy trying to post up. He's not there yet, but I like what I see. Potential for a bit of Przem style defense inside, with more mobility outside.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Good point reborn. Jones is a very very good player! Adds a new slant to our game. Both of these players will carry us a long way while Tills is getting patched up. Jones is so reliable and consistent. Filip looks much improve over the past month.
    Someone has to make a movie out of his story, ideally ending in an NCAA championship, even just a FF. He attends a regional final Zag game as an otherwise normal fan, decides he loves what he sees and feels compelled to try to join that team, and then works to actually do everything necessary to realize the dream. And now making the most of it.

The fact that he transferred from Rice means he takes his academics dead seriously, too.

Amazing.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I’d watch it
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    I saw several moments last night where he really bodied up a guy trying to post up. He's not there yet, but I like what I see. Potential for a bit of Przem style defense inside, with more mobility outside.
    He looks ready to take advantage of the opportunity. Collins looked overwhelmed physically at the beginning of the year, too, and we all know how that ended up.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    He looks ready to take advantage of the opportunity. Collins looked overwhelmed physically at the beginning of the year, too, and we all know how that ended up.
    petrusev isn't on the same level as collins as an athlete and might not have his motor either, but he is every bit as skilled as collins...maybe even more skilled in certain aspects. he goes to his left better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    luckily??????? he practices every day against two very different and very dynamic big men that is where players are made

he responded well yesterday and will be important to maintain that similar approach
    Hoop - Practice is not the same as playing in real games with extreme pressure whose outcome desperately matters to people. There are no do overs in a real game as in practice, and real game pressure gets to players who aren't used to it.. Come on man, you know better than that as the knowledgeable basketball person you are. He can practice against the best two players in the NBA at his position everyday, and it's not the same as going under the lights, in front of 18,000 people in a pressure packed NCAA tournament game whose outcome desperately matters to people. If he were to sit too long and not get enough meaningful run in enough games, I am 100% certain, despite these elite practices you talk about (which no doubt help him), that we would see a decline in his game in REAL games. I'd bet a thousand bucks on it. The best possible outcome would have been to have Filip playing more minutes than he was playing since Tillie's return, and have him also practicing against the guys he does. But I firmly believe that the main reason why Filip remains sharp is largely because it wasn't that long ago that he was playing good minutes against great teams in pressured packed situations. And yes, having to go up against Brandon and Rui lessened the length of his inevitable decline, but it doesn't substitute for playing in real games. And I felt he needed more minutes than he was getting while Tillie was healthy or we seriously would see him not perform as well in games if needed due to injury or whatever. The real game environment is so different. The crowds, the pressure, the importance of winning and losing.....it's as essential to remaining sharp as battling great guys in practice. And going 2.5 months with hardly any PT but in garbage time would've made him rusty, not adjusted to game speed, out of game shape, etc. Practice can't give those things to players. Only games. Fortunately it is not an issue now, but I would've rather have seen him get some more meaningful PT with Tillie still being healthy. Few was seriously messing with fire, and I had been warning about it for weeks on this board. Players must have time to apply the lessons taught in practice against players who are half way decent. And it wasn't happening enough with Filip.......until now.

But yes - I am thankful he has those dudes to practice against. It's made him a better player.
    Last edited by CDC84; 02-11-2019 at 02:13 AM.

I am pretty sure Filip is used the crowds, he performed in FIBA games, and went to finals where the title game was against Latvian team, at their home. That place was packed, all seats taken and 95% by Latvian fans. Serbia won. I realize it is not the same, but please take that into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Hoop - Practice is not the same as playing in real games with extreme pressure whose outcome desperately matters to people. There are no do overs in a real game as in practice, and real game pressure gets to players who aren't used to it.. Come on man, you know better than that as the knowledgeable basketball person you are. He can practice against the best two players in the NBA at his position everyday, and it's not the same as going under the lights, in front of 18,000 people in a pressure packed NCAA tournament game whose outcome desperately matters to people. If he were to sit too long and not get enough meaningful run in enough games, I am 100% certain, despite these elite practices you talk about (which no doubt help him), that we would see a decline in his game in REAL games. I'd bet a thousand bucks on it. The best possible outcome would have been to have Filip playing more minutes than he was playing since Tillie's return, and have him also practicing against the guys he does. But I firmly believe that the main reason why Filip remains sharp is largely because it wasn't that long ago that he was playing good minutes against great teams in pressured packed situations. And yes, having to go up against Brandon and Rui lessened the length of his inevitable decline, but it doesn't substitute for playing in real games. And I felt he needed more minutes than he was getting while Tillie was healthy or we seriously would see him not perform as well in games if needed due to injury or whatever. The real game environment is so different. The crowds, the pressure, the importance of winning and losing.....it's as essential to remaining sharp as battling great guys in practice. And going 2.5 months with hardly any PT but in garbage time would've made him rusty, not adjusted to game speed, out of game shape, etc. Practice can't give those things to players. Only games. Fortunately it is not an issue now, but I would've rather have seen him get some more meaningful PT with Tillie still being healthy. Few was seriously messing with fire, and I had been warning about it for weeks on this board. Players must have time to apply the lessons taught in practice against players who are half way decent. And it wasn't happening enough with Filip.......until now.

But yes - I am thankful he has those dudes to practice against. It's made him a better player.
    CDC, The use of an occasional paragraph would make your post eminently more readable, at least for these old eyes.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Petrol was there, on the bench, the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    petrusev isn't on the same level as collins as an athlete and might not have his motor either, but he is every bit as skilled as collins...maybe even more skilled in certain aspects. he goes to his left better.
    Please, not close.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post

sure didnt look rusty the other day so your theory didnt hold much water for me
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I'm pleased folks are noticing Jeremy's talent and contributions more. Like Reborn, I feel good when he's in the game. He is not flashy and somehow looks half asleep at times but that is part of the intrigue of his persona. In reality he his controlled and safe with the ball and when he sees the opportunity his moves are incredibly fast and strong. On defense I've noticed how tough he is, the football player translates nicely. He's become a key component of this version of the Zags IMO. I trust him.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

If only we could have had a do-over in time; Tills could have red-shirted this year and Pet would have gotten major playing minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    I'm pleased folks are noticing Jeremy's talent and contributions more. Like Reborn, I feel good when he's in the game. He is not flashy and somehow looks half asleep at times but that is part of the intrigue of his persona. In reality he his controlled and safe with the ball and when he sees the opportunity his moves are incredibly fast and strong. On defense I've noticed how tough he is, the football player translates nicely. He's become a key component of this version of the Zags IMO. I trust him.
    As you should.

a couple fun stats for Jones this year:

28/42 FG (67%)
    20/28 2pt FG (71%)
    8/14 3pt FG (57%)
    28/36 FT (78%)

25 assists to 10 TO's.

Per 40 mins, he avgs 10 ppg, 10 rpg, 3 apg.

Jones and Filip are adequate for relief duty. Jones is especially valuable because of his calm demeanor. I like him in late game situations because he doesn't get rattled. I think this has a ripple effect on his teammates and calms them as well.

There is still room for growth for Kispert. He plays "rushed" at times. He can make plays by being decisive, but occasionally he drives recklessly and can't stop from running into defenders. With a tad more savvy, he could be drawing blocking fouls instead of getting called for charging. Needs to be under more control when driving to the basket.

This is why, in a tight game with under 1 minute to play, I would prefer Jones in the lineup and Kispert not on the floor.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    I agree that Collins was much more athletic, but pure athleticism isn't the only way to play post defense. I'm just saying that I saw some nice glimpses of some potential of becoming an above-average post defender.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V