Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Nate Bittle -- Offer - Official Visit 1/25

Let's say Bittle wants to commit before Chet and Paolo are ready. It seems like he's good enough where you just take him and worry about the other two later? Or are we prioritizing the other two at this point? Hard to imagine telling a top 10 recruit to hold off on a verbal (I understand we're probably not favorites for Bittle and this is an unlikely event and perhaps his hypothetical commitment wouldn't hurt the chances with Chet/Paolo either).

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Let's say Bittle wants to commit before Chet and Paolo are ready. It seems like he's good enough where you just take him and worry about the other two later? Or are we prioritizing the other two at this point? Hard to imagine telling a top 10 recruit to hold off on a verbal (I understand we're probably not favorites for Bittle and this is an unlikely event and perhaps his hypothetical commitment wouldn't hurt the chances with Chet/Paolo either).
    I would think they'd take his commitment and run with it. They could easily fit two and probably all three into rotation with their skill set. At least that's my opinion.

They would not say no that is for sure. These are all three top 15 talents, you take a commitment when you get it. I think we are current leaders in Paolo and Chet, but not in Bittle at this point. That said this visit is going to help.

Yeah, certainly makes sense. In your rankings you made it seem like our chances with Bittle would go up if we miss on Chet or Paolo which had me wondering.

Chet seeing himself as a hybrid wing, no matter his height, I think helps not clog up the table of big men. Get em all!

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Chet seeing himself as a hybrid wing, no matter his height, I think helps not clog up the table of big men. Get em all!
    Agree!

Welcome to Spokane this weekend Nate Bittle! Hope you have a fantastic visit and Zags put on a show for you tonight!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Agree!

Welcome to Spokane this weekend Nate Bittle! Hope you have a fantastic visit and Zags put on a show for you tonight!
    hope tillie puts on a show and lets bittle see what he could become...bittle probably more wiltjer than tillie though.

Default 2021 Nate Bittle -- Offer - Official Visit 1/25

He’s seemed very engage during the whole game. Clapping when we did well etc. He’s a good looking kid

Actually we’re there two recruits there tonight. I only noticed in kid so if there were two I’m not sure if it was bittle or the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fonebone View Post
    He’s seemed very engage during the whole game. Clapping when we did well etc. He’s a good looking kid

Actually we’re there two recruits there tonight. I only noticed in kid so if there were two I’m not sure if it was bittle or the other

Did the one you saw look tall or freakishly tall?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Did the one you saw look tall or freakishly tall?
    The other kid was Sallis. 6'5"? Got some Zag hair!
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

The one I saw was sitting right on the isle by our bench, with his,I assume parents, he was tall but sitting so not sure how tall but I’d guess 6 feet tall or more. African American his hair was long with dreds I think with a few of them a different color. When I said he looked good I was focused on his hair mostly, it looked good

Quote Originally Posted by Fonebone View Post
    The one I saw was sitting right on the isle by our bench, with his,I assume parents, he was tall but sitting so not sure how tall but I’d guess 6 feet tall or more. African American his hair was long with dreds I think with a few of them a different color. When I said he looked good I was focused on his hair mostly, it looked good

That was Sallis.

Any update on Bittle?

Any update on Bittle?
    It went well, staff was impressed with him. I do know at the game he didn't look nearly as into the game as Hunter, but that is such a hard thing to judge with kids these days. They are really pushing that he can be Tillie like and his fit to the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    LOL

He's not Mormon tho....

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    He's not Mormon tho....
    I think it's incorrect to assume only member of the Church will play there, but Bittle is a reach from a basketball perspective. I think Pope's argument is that he took a useless Lee and turned him into someone productive enough to limp along without Childs, but that's a far cry from showing him a string of nobodies-turned-lottery picks/starters in Olynyk, Sabonis, Collins, Rui, and Clarke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

I think it's incorrect to assume only member of the Church will play there,
    Why? I bet the number of starters there in the past 15 years that are non-LDS has to be in the low single digits. If you're good enough to go to play at BYU and non-LDS, you're always going somewhere else. Especially in basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    Why? I bet the number of starters there in the past 15 years that are non-LDS has to be in the low single digits. If you're good enough to go to play at BYU and non-LDS, you're always going somewhere else. Especially in basketball.
    Yeah, I mean even if they aren't Mormon don't they still need to adhere to the honor code? I'm guessing that has to be a dealbreaker for 95% of non-mormon recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Yeah, I mean even if they aren't Mormon don't they still need to adhere to the honor code? I'm guessing that has to be a dealbreaker for 95% of non-mormon recruits.
    Is yoeli childs LDS?

Quote Originally Posted by YankMyZAG View Post
    Is yoeli childs LDS?
    Yep. I was wondering myself since he didnt go on a mission. Found this.

https://universe.byu.edu/2016/10/20/...ecent-baptism/

I would find it fascinating to learn the rate at which BYU male athletes maintain (or not) their LDS beliefs at age 30 or 35 relative to the general student body or mormon population.

The degree of explicit (usually christian) religiosity in general in college and even pro sports seems to run counter to the generally socially liberal youth culture dominant in those areas.

Jayson Tatum (Duke/Celtics) just got a fairly prominent tattoo which could have benefited from a bit of punctuation unless he's a a closet polytheist.

Recruiting to BYU would be tough. Trying to get anybody outside of the church has got to be an uphill battle. I cant remember off the top of my head one of their better players since they've been in the WCC that wasnt LDS. Even though they have the advantage with the LDS kids the best ones in recent years (Jabari Parker, Frank Jackson, Isaac Johnson) have still gone elsewhere. The other difficulty would be the constant roster turnover with missions.

It's a bit off topic, but following a very very scary looking (and sounding) head injury in a recent game, the teams from Stanford and CU Boulder gathered to pray at midcourt. It struck me a profoundly beautiful and humanizing (transcendent even) but also somehow so out of place or unsustainable. These are groups of young males living in Boulder and the Bay Area. Public reactions or displays of this level of religiosity are probably few and far between on their respective campuses.