Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TV tonite?

Understood -- I have the ability to stream, and would have done so last night if I had known the game was going to get bounced into digital oblivion at the 11th hour. But my underlying, main point concerns the lack of exposure for the program nationally. Again, I get that streaming is the future. But something like 70% of the existing national sports audience watches on traditional platforms. That will change. But in the interim, the program and the WCC needs to step-up its presence on networks that are more easily accessible and readily visible. Maybe when the the ACC launches its network, and if the Big10 stops charging a subscription fee for its network, slots will open up on ESPN, and CBS.

You can watch replays on wcc tv too.

As for getting this game on a better channel, I'm sure GU's making an honest and competent effort. It's probably more of a network decision anyway. There's just not a huge audience on the east coast for 30-point blowouts that start at 10 p.m.

Thank the lord FIOS carries BYU network. Rest of the games are either on the Death Star or BYU network.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by PeninsulaDog View Post
    Understood -- I have the ability to stream, and would have done so last night if I had known the game was going to get bounced into digital oblivion at the 11th hour. But my underlying, main point concerns the lack of exposure for the program nationally. Again, I get that streaming is the future. But something like 70% of the existing national sports audience watches on traditional platforms. That will change. But in the interim, the program and the WCC needs to step-up its presence on networks that are more easily accessible and readily visible. Maybe when the the ACC launches its network, and if the Big10 stops charging a subscription fee for its network, slots will open up on ESPN, and CBS.
    I doubt that there are more than 10 programs in the country from any conference, at most, who have better overall national exposure than Gonzaga. ESPN always broadcasts about half of our games and many of the marquee games we play. They broadcast our conference tournament.

I get that we should always strive for better, but I think we should also not lose perspective on what we have. We have a better deal than 2/3 of the schools in the P5 conferences I am sure. Our TV deal may not be ideal, but it is far superior to most schools.

Here in the Palm Springs area (CA) we have Spectrum. You would think that they would cover the LA and/or San Diego colleges into this area. No dice. Lakers, Lakers, Lakers is all they think about. Once in a while they show the Clippers. Spectrum has three and sometimes four dedicated channels to show local sports. Once in a great while they pick up the feed from Root and show the S. California WCC games. But not often. No Pepperdine coverage last night. Last night the W. feed and Stadium was not working in my area. I called out for help and someone on this forum provided me with a link that worked for me. Thanks for stocking the pond for us who do not have access except for an online feed.

Quote Originally Posted by v13311 View Post
    Here in the Palm Springs area (CA) we have Spectrum. You would think that they would cover the LA and/or San Diego colleges into this area. No dice. Lakers, Lakers, Lakers is all they think about. Once in a while they show the Clippers. Spectrum has three and sometimes four dedicated channels to show local sports. Once in a great while they pick up the feed from Root and show the S. California WCC games. But not often. No Pepperdine coverage last night. Last night the W. feed and Stadium was not working in my area. I called out for help and someone on this forum provided me with a link that worked for me. Thanks for stocking the pond for us who do not have access except for an online feed.
    Spectrum formerly Time Warner Cable

On February 14, 2011, the Lakers and Time Warner Cable signed a $3 billion, 20-year cable television agreement which took effect in the fall of 2012.[6]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectr..._(Los_Angeles)