Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TV tonite?

Almost given up. Thanks for the Link! Working fine here in greater Phoenix area

Working well in Palm Desert, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    The incompetence of the streamers from near the center of the hi tech world is unbelievable!!!!!
    Picture quality is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I'm watching on NBC Sports Bay Area and it's just fine, an HD picture and no lags. Now only if the refs would stop calling silly fouls..............
    Finally was able to watch thanks to someone’s NBC link. That said Richard, Dan, and Heister your audio equipment sucks. I’ll donate 20k if you guys can update that crap your broadcasting with. Tonight was a disgrace.

So if I am reading this right.... Zags are on ESPN the rest of the way out?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    The incompetence of the streamers from near the center of the hi tech world is unbelievable!!!!!
    And to have it come back right at halftime... smdh... thank the man upstairs that the remainder of the games are mostly (may be all) on ESPN.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    So if I am reading this right.... Zags are on ESPN the rest of the way out?
    One more ROOT broadcast on Feb 21 vs Pepp. Heister and Co always bid farewell for the season on last broadcast.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

In all seriousness, it’s a freaking disgrace that the premier CBB program in the whole western part of the US, cant seem to find its arsehole and get all its games on some sort of tv, even paid, even an app. The lost opportunity for raising freshman, funds and friends is staggering and AD Roth really needs to appoint a task force -- maybe including our Beezer and GoZags -- to rectify this problem for seasons to come....utter nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    In all seriousness, it’s a freaking disgrace that the premier CBB program in the whole western part of the US, cant seem to find its arsehole and get all its games on some sort of tv, even paid, even an app. The lost opportunity for raising freshman, funds and friends is staggering and AD Roth really needs to appoint a task force -- maybe including our Beezer and GoZags -- to rectify this problem for seasons to come....utter nonsense.
    If you want to have a national program, you need to have national media. QED
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    If you want to have a national program, you need to have national media. QED
    And INTERNATIONAL media. I think Zag games are aired in Japan. Kansas/Duke/Syracuse games are routinely aired in Canada. Zags have a pretty good following throughout Canada given all of the prior Canadian players. Would love to see Gonzaga's media people get our ESPN schedule figured out and improved and then try to take some of those northern TV spots from the blue bloods. Would be great for recruiting.

That’s a bridge too far. Can’t we scale down this request with just enabling fans throughout the US to gain live video access to every game? Can’t expect espn to carry all our games. Only one school gets that. What about an app or link with a reasonable subscription fee. Silicon Valley Zags, step up? AD Roth, listen up.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    And INTERNATIONAL media. I think Zag games are aired in Japan. Kansas/Duke/Syracuse games are routinely aired in Canada. Zags have a pretty good following throughout Canada given all of the prior Canadian players. Would love to see Gonzaga's media people get our ESPN schedule figured out and improved and then try to take some of those northern TV spots from the blue bloods. Would be great for recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I live over 1000 miles from Spokane, don't get ROOT in any capacity, and yet have no trouble finding every Zag game. The only hiccup was that nonsense last month on the WCC website. Since then, no problems.

I have access to the ratings for Zag games on ESPN (from my other sports forum) and they are laughable (unfortunately). The games start so late on the east coast that no one is staying up to see them. But ESPN insists on putting the Zags last as part of a double or tripleheader of hoops, so what do they expect?
    WE HAVE A GOAL -- WE HAVE A MISSION -- SPOKANE, STAPLES, ATLANTA

Once again a television debacle last night: In the Bay Area, home of the WCC offices and "the W", the GU game was all but impossible to find. Originally scheduled for one of the NBC sports networks, it got reshuffled to something called the "Sports Overflow" channel, lodged anonymously between B-movie channels, infomericials, and other video dreck. So obscure was the timing and placement of the game, that the Xfinity network couldn't identity a digital profile of the game to record on my DVR. (The games are theoretically all set to record, but not this one.) So when at 7:30 I sat down to play my recording of the game, it of course wasn't there. But I was able to watch the last 9 minutes after finding the live broadcast. Great. The likely top-ranked team in the country on the Sports Overflow channel. Last night was the admittedly a perfect storm for Bay Area scheduling conflicts: Sharks, Warriors and Kings (all carried by NBC sports) were playing at the same time. But this arrangement with Root is not working for anyone outside of the northwest. Most Root games are available here in the the Bay Area on NBC sports networks, but sometimes the broadcasts are delayed (even by a day), and effectively preempted like last night. And what was on some of the others networks at the same time? The ESPN networks were carrying SMU-UConn and Campbell-High Point. The Pac 12 even managed to have the stellar match-up of USC-Oregon on FS1. At the 8:00 hour (PST) the ESPN networks were carrying absolutely nothing in the way of live events. So why the 6:00 tip in Spokane if essentially no one outside of the northwest could watch the game? I really believe the media coverage for Gonzaga is heading in the wrong direction. Can you imagine any other perennially top 5 team being televised on the Overflow Sports channel? This is insane. The WCC and the GU Athletic Department need to get real. Ever wonder why Gonzaga has never had any luck recruiting in the eastern time zone, and only slightly better results in the central time zone? Rant over . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by PeninsulaDog View Post
    Once again a television debacle last night: In the Bay Area, home of the WCC offices and "the W", the GU game was all but impossible to find. Originally scheduled for one of the NBC sports networks, it got reshuffled to something called the "Sports Overflow" channel, lodged anonymously between B-movie channels, infomericials, and other video dreck. So obscure was the timing and placement of the game, that the Xfinity network couldn't identity a digital profile of the game to record on my DVR. (The games are theoretically all set to record, but not this one.) So when at 7:30 I sat down to play my recording of the game, it of course wasn't there. But I was able to watch the last 9 minutes after finding the live broadcast. Great. The likely top-ranked team in the country on the Sports Overflow channel. Last night was the admittedly a perfect storm for Bay Area scheduling conflicts: Sharks, Warriors and Kings (all carried by NBC sports) were playing at the same time. But this arrangement with Root is not working for anyone outside of the northwest. Most Root games are available here in the the Bay Area on NBC sports networks, but sometimes the broadcasts are delayed (even by a day), and effectively preempted like last night. And what was on some of the others networks at the same time? The ESPN networks were carrying SMU-UConn and Campbell-High Point. The Pac 12 even managed to have the stellar match-up of USC-Oregon on FS1. At the 8:00 hour (PST) the ESPN networks were carrying absolutely nothing in the way of live events. So why the 6:00 tip in Spokane if essentially no one outside of the northwest could watch the game? I really believe the media coverage for Gonzaga is heading in the wrong direction. Can you imagine any other perennially top 5 team being televised on the Overflow Sports channel? This is insane. The WCC and the GU Athletic Department need to get real. Ever wonder why Gonzaga has never had any luck recruiting in the eastern time zone, and only slightly better results in the central time zone? Rant over . . . .
    I watched it online through Stadium, which carries the non ESPN games, and am in the Bay Area. Stadium conveniently has a Roku app (and the other ones), so I streamed it right to my TV.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I understand that it's technically possible to get games, like last night's, though other applications/platforms -- but should a top 5 program be relegated to that? And I understand that streaming (not over traditional networks/providers) is the future. But it isn't yet broadly the present, and the current state of affairs is an embarrassment.

Streaming is unreliable and whack. I get Directv and ROOT and have zero complaints. Costs a fortune but I’d pay whatever to have no problems watching. Unfortunately internet streaming is so unrealiable and wonky out here in Missouri that internet is NOT a legit option for superfans such as myself
    Last edited by gonzagafan62; 02-22-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

I understand that it's technically possible to get games, like last night's, though other applications/platforms -- but should a top 5 program be relegated to that? And I understand that streaming (not over traditional networks/providers) is the future. But it isn't yet broadly the present, and the current state of affairs is an embarrassment.
    Is DirecTv not an option for you?

I couldn't agree more.

The part of this I don't understand (I'm sure someone here does) has to do with league arrangements/media rights....I assume this is an area where the WCC holds us back. The power conferences all have comprehensive deals and in many cases their own channel. Is this an area where we can chart our own course, a la Notre Dame football, while not officially being an independent?
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

I am a very late adopter ….a very successful CEO told me that you don't want to be the first or the last to adopt technology...but be as close to the last as practical because by then it will be dependable and less expensive....

I could not be more pleased with Charter (Spectrum) it comes to me by fiber optic high speed cable (whatever that means) that is buried 5' underground and is very very dependable with hundreds of high definition (whatever that means) quality....I never miss a Gonzaga game live and with all the ESPN options I see the entire game when there is a delay …..plus all of the Power 5+1 Conferences...

Used to have DirecTV -- changed to AT&T Uverse platform, and even though AT&T owns Root, inexplicably Uverse doesn't carry it. Uverse was absolutely horrible, so made the change to Xfinity which has been, for many reasons, fantastic -- with the exception of no Root. I think the WCC must have some arrangement with NBC to pick up most of the Root games, but it's unreliable. I'm done changing providers, and in any event, I see the real problem as being a lack of consistent presence for Gonzaga, and the WCC, in national media networks. For Gonzaga fans, it's not a big deal to find an app to stream the game. I get it. But what about non-Gonzaga diehards, not in the northwest, who are casually searching for sports content on their traditional provider of choice? How many sports bars use Roku? How many opportunities to expose the Gonzaga basketball to a wider audience are lost by virtue of its relatively obscure media presence? Incalculable.

I am not sure this is Gonzaga's fault. Sounds like your local provider has issues with juggling its content commitments. Gonzaga has set up a scenario where all games are broadcast on television. Many on ESPN, the vast majority of the remainder on ROOT sports NW in the Washington/Oregon/Idaho area where ROOT NW has its "footprint." That ROOT "feed" is apparently made available to providers in other areas where ROOT is not a channel in their lineup. One thing to remember is that ROOT is now owned by the Seattle Mariners--it is a Pacific Northwest channel and always will be as a result. I don't think it is realistic for ROOT to be expected to go out and negotiate nationally for carriage because its "product" is primarily geared toward a Pacific Northwest audience. (Also, it is prohibited from doing so with its main product, Mariners games, by MLB rules that protect each franchise's "home" turf.)

With this in mind, I am not sure what Gonzaga folks are supposed to do. The reality is that we ain't Duke yet and likely never will be. ESPN just is not ever going to want to broadcast all of our games--especially the likes of Portland and Pepperdine of the WCC, and the Cal State Bakersfield and Idaho State caliber games that we mysteriously insist on scheduling every year for reasons that baffle.

For that portion of our schedule that now falls on the ROOT network, I just don't see any carrier with a nationwide footprint being interested.

As a result, if you want to see all Zags games and you live outside of the ROOT NW footprint, I think the best course of action is to sign up for DirecTV (and perhaps Dish) or a cable provider that gives you access to the actual ROOT NW feed, and not some local "Sports Overflow" channel that simply acts as a conduit for that feed on an ad hoc, unpredictable basis. I have had DirecTV since 2003 and I can count on one hand the number of Zags games I have ever had to miss in that time frame.

They must have an app for that.

I went on vacation Feb 3rd. We went to New Orleans and then Alabama.

I watched the game on the 7th on my cell phone, on the WCC site. The first time doing that, and the picture was so crisp I could see it all.
    The next 3 games I watched on ESPN with no problem.
    I have Directtv here at home and see all the games on either KHQ, Root or ESPN.
    I understand the problem but I want to watch the Zags and the Mariners, so I pay to do so.

If you want to see the games, you may have to pay to get the right service to do so. If you don't want to spend the money, and don't want to do a different IP address or jump through all those other hoops...quit crying about it. YOU made your choice. Choose differently to get the result you want.

I am getting tired of the whining.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I went on vacation Feb 3rd. We went to New Orleans and then Alabama.

I watched the game on the 7th on my cell phone, on the WCC site. The first time doing that, and the picture was so crisp I could see it all.
    The next 3 games I watched on ESPN with no problem.
    I have Directtv here at home and see all the games on either KHQ, Root or ESPN.
    I understand the problem but I want to watch the Zags and the Mariners, so I pay to do so.

If you want to see the games, you may have to pay to get the right service to do so. If you don't want to spend the money, and don't want to do a different IP address or jump through all those other hoops...quit crying about it. YOU made your choice. Choose differently to get the result you want.

I am getting tired of the whining.
    To summarize: Be complacent, think small, and shut-up. Got it. Thank you!

It's pretty easy to watch all of the games online wherever you are.