Thread: Other games - Illinois Just Beat Sparty

Default Other games - Illinois Just Beat Sparty

"The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Spartans out of the 1-seed conversation.

Kentucky (with a diminished Michigan lurking) is the threat to bump Zags from the 1 to the 2 line.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Kentucky (with a diminished Michigan lurking) is the threat to bump Zags from the 1 to the 2 line.
    I’m really hoping that Coach Barnes, Admiral Schofield and Co. can hang a couple of losses on Kentucky before Selection Sunday.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    uhh, loses to Alabama and Seton Hall not nearly as good as losing to Tennessee and UNC. Plus, Kentucky has to face Tennessee at least 2 more times this season. If they can sweep Tennessee 3 times including a conference tourney, I'm thinking that Kentucky replaces Tennessee but not Gonzaga.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

No one will pass Gonzaga unless the Zags lose.....it is all about winning and moving up.....as Duke, Virginia, and Tennessee lose...and they will...obviously...Duke and Virginia will play each other and Tennessee has to play Kentucky twice....I like our chances...
    Last edited by bartruff1; 02-05-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    uhh, loses to Alabama and Seton Hall not nearly as good as losing to Tennessee and UNC. Plus, Kentucky has to face Tennessee at least 2 more times this season. If they can sweep Tennessee 3 times including a conference tourney, I'm thinking that Kentucky replaces Tennessee but not Gonzaga.
    Not necessarily disagreeing with you but you have to consider the amount of top wins as well. I believe Kentucky has significantly more than zags - especially if they beat Tennessee a couple times in the scenario you lay out.

It would be great if Illinois could become another top 100 win.

If it gets down to a real analysis as to whether we're a 1 or a 2 seed, I prefer the 1-4 game over the 2-3, and want that one seed. On close calls, every little metric can matter.

Nice to see the Illini win, I respect that coach a lot.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    It would be great if Illinois could become another top 100 win.

If it gets down to a real analysis as to whether we're a 1 or a 2 seed, I prefer the 1-4 game over the 2-3, and want that one seed. On close calls, every little metric can matter.

Nice to see the Illini win, I respect that coach a lot.
    Amazingly enough the are currently sitting at 68 in Kenpom, with an 8-15 record!

Currently 88 in the NCAA "NET" list.

Is that the official list used to determine top 100 or top50 wins?

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Not necessarily disagreeing with you but you have to consider the amount of top wins as well. I believe Kentucky has significantly more than zags - especially if they beat Tennessee a couple times in the scenario you lay out.
    agree with you. most on this board focus on the losses.
    RK TEAM CONF W-L SOR RK SEED SOR S-CURVE QUAL W-L SOS RK NON-CONF SOS RK
    T1 Virginia ACC 20-1 1 1 1 6-1 35 145
    T1 Duke ACC 20-2 2 1 2 8-2 18 11
    T1 Michigan Big Ten 21-2 3 1 3 6-2 33 191
    T1 Tennessee SEC 21-1 4 1 4 4-1 64 83
    T5 North Carolina ACC 18-4 5 2 5 6-4 5 8
    T5 Kentucky SEC 19-3 6 2 6 6-2 34 31
    T5 Gonzaga WCC 21-2 7 2 7 4-2 82 33
    T5 Michigan State Big Ten 18-5 8 2 8 8-4 3 24

GLOSSARY

• SOR RK: Rank of Strength of Record (SOR) among all Division I teams. SOR reflects the chance a typical 25th ranked team would have team's record or better, given the schedule on a 0 to 100 scale, where 100 is best.
    • Seed: Seed in the NCAA Tournament.
    • SOR S-Curve: A team's spot on the NCAA Tournament S-Curve based on current SOR.
    • Qual W-L: Number of wins and losses against current top 50 BPI teams.
    • SOS RK: Strength of Schedule (SOS) rank among all Division I teams based on how a typical 25th ranked team would do against each team's schedule to date. SOS accounts for the game location, day's rest, travel distance, and high altitude in addition to opponent strength.
    • Non-Conf SOS RK: SOS rank for non-conference games to date among all Division I teams.

OK...LETS DO IT!..

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Spartans out of the 1-seed conversation.
    Mich St hasn't been the same team since losing Josh Langford (15 ppg, 4 rpg, 2 apg) for the season.

A big loss on the court and a big time leader too.

Too much forced pressure on Winston to score in bunches. Their frontcourt is really good, atheltic, strong, but wouldn't call them offensive machines. They have been struggling to put points on the board.

They will eventually adapt yet notice how impactful losing ONE integral player is to a team, esp at college level. Just ask Kansas too.

Last yrs GU team had a decent shot at Final 4 if not for Tillie's somewhat last min injury.

MSU is really missing Josh Langford. Losing to Illinois is worrisome. I thought that the Indiana loss, as shocking as it was, was understandable because the team had just received the news that Langford was done for the season. But to have two let downs in a row to two of the worst teams in the B-10......Izzo has some work to do.

Illinois seems like a gimmicky team that could sneak up on you if you’re not careful. They beat us in the second half and forced 22 turnovers in Maui.