Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I The Only One Who Thinks UVA...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Ok, I don't normally do this but I'll take the 5pts and UVA...loser has to give up their house at a time of their choosing!

If you win, you could have a great winter home and when I win, I'll have a great summer home...lol

IMO UVA has an exceptional coach and very intelligent players...they will figure out how to play THE DEFENCE that will stymie those two freshman (Zion & Barnett)...
    5 points? I’ll take that.
    I actually think Duke wins this straight up.
    I’m not a Duke hater. And outside of Gonzaga, there’s no team I enjoy watching more than Duke this year. Zion has far exceeded my expectations. I thought he was a just YouTube star. I was wrong. He’s the best player in college and the most entertaining.

I'll take Clarke over Zion and Rui over Barrett every day of the week.

Go Zags!!! Yes Zion is entertaining, and Barrett is as smooth as silk. But there's nothing like Rui and Clarke defending the rim and knocking down Duke players who try to win a game by going to the basket. The game with Duke and Gonzaga is etched in my mind and there's no doubt in me about who's the best.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

UVa should absolutely win this. However I have a fair amount of trepidation about that pick mainly overlapping from UVa football expectations. UVa football relentlessly loses marquee games, crushing the hopes and souls of Cavalier fans.

UVa's loss to UMBC proved that the football cloud hangs over it's basketball team as well.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

The metrics for UVA are great, but I am somewhat skeptical about how good they are against elite talent. They lost to Duke-- at their place, granted-- who was without their starting point guard. They did it by allowing more points than usual. They didn't look like they matched up much down low and let Duke get too many garbage buckets. I am hoping it was just the Cameron Indoor Effect, but this game is going to tell me a lot about whether UVA just beats up on average and very good teams, or if it can be effective against Top-5 length, skill and athleticism. Right now, they seem like a team that can get to the Final 4, but I'm not confident they could win it all.
    Last edited by JPtheBeasta; 02-09-2019 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    ...will beat Duke on Saturday?

Duke is young and feeds on home court crowd. UVa played poorly and barely lost at Duke.

Now it's at UVa.
    No sir you are not. I don't see duke beating Bennet's team again, they were lucky to beat them last time.

I don’t feel confident that UVA will win today. I just don’t think it is a good matchup for them and Duke will ultimately win by 3. That’s my prediction.

Duke will lead until the end, then UVA will make a comeback and win with a buzzer beater.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    5 points? I’ll take that.
    I actually think Duke wins this straight up.
    I’m not a Duke hater. And outside of Gonzaga, there’s no team I enjoy watching more than Duke this year. Zion has far exceeded my expectations. I thought he was a just YouTube star. I was wrong. He’s the best player in college and the most entertaining.
    Ok, lets put a beverage of your choice on the out come...you're taking Duke giving 5pts...if you are going to the WCC tournament, then we can settle there...lol

I respect your opinion but IMO Zion is pretty one dimensional...both him, Barrett and Jones are just horrible from 3pt land...Rui can shoot it from anywhere on the court, plays decent "D" and will have a longer NBA career...again just my opinion

They're shooting really well from 3 today, Bogo!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

I get the Duke hate...but Duke winning out is best for GU
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Deal but I’m getting 5 points right? Virginia was favored by Kenpom by 5

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    I get the Duke hate...but Duke winning out is best for GU
    Agree.

Zag fan first

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Deal but I’m getting 5 points right? Virginia was favored by Kenpom by 5
    Well, I seemed to screw this up and it's my fault...yes, I gave you Duke and 5...i thought UVA was favored...just can't read with my glasses on...lol

Anyone hear Bilas throw some serious shade at Dan Shulman right after the Ralph Sampson interview? Maria Taylor asked Sampson if he remembered blocking Bilas and Sampson said, "I don't, but I'm sure Jay does" and then Shulman started giving Bilas some jazz about it and you could tell that Bilas didn't want to have the conversation and he finally said, "I'm not playing in this game Dan" and just ignored Shulman and went back to talking about the game. It was actually pretty uncomfortable.

I’ve always sensed Bilas is a jerk in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Anyone hear Bilas throw some serious shade at Dan Shulman right after the Ralph Sampson interview? Maria Taylor asked Sampson if he remembered blocking Bilas and Sampson said, "I don't, but I'm sure Jay does" and then Shulman started giving Bilas some jazz about it and you could tell that Bilas didn't want to have the conversation and he finally said, "I'm not playing in this game Dan" and just ignored Shulman and went back to talking about the game. It was actually pretty uncomfortable.

I hope Virginia wins this one. In the end, I'd rather beat Duke but if we lose along the way, I'd rather lose to Virginia. Overall though, I d rather beat both for a NC!. We have our 1 seed. I'd also like a no 1 ranking for the last month of the season. We do that by both of these teams losing a few. So that's MY shade!!

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    They're shooting really well from 3 today, Bogo!
    You do realize that the baskets at which Duke is shooting are wider...don’t think that’s fair!

It's not looking good. Especially at the pace UVA plays at.

Virginia May have had a better chance but both Reddish and Barrett were on fire from outside. There’s not many games you can expect that from those two since they are both sub 35% guys.

Pretty obtuse, Doc. We beat Vols no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I hope Virginia wins this one. In the end, I'd rather beat Duke but if we lose along the way, I'd rather lose to Virginia. Overall though, I d rather beat both for a NC!. We have our 1 seed. I'd also like a no 1 ranking for the last month of the season. We do that by both of these teams losing a few. So that's MY shade!!

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    It's not looking good. Especially at the pace UVA plays at.
    Virginia isn't making that "extra" pass needed to beat Duke offensively. Duke also has been getting too many free looks on offense.

Whoooaaaaaaa. The talent differential is stark.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Needless to say, Duke going an unusual 13-21 from three made all the difference.

I said this in another post. When I saw Duke beat Texas Tech, a team with a GREAT defense who plays a slowed down style like UVA does, I felt Duke would sweep UVA. The reason is because players like Zion and RJ can hit tough shots, regardless of how tough a defense is. It's why teams who win the national title usually have 3 NBA first round picks, and why talent tends to win out over the course of 6 games in the NCAA's. There have been exceptions (like UConn). Somewhere along the line Zion can hit a shot you cannot defend. Duke is just more talented than UVA, plus they have a top 5 defensive team themselves. They can play at the slowest pace against an elite team and win, and they can play at a fast pace and win. It's why I feel, despite the NBA hype, they remain the favorites to win it all. Or at least until this year's GU team proves it can beat a team like UVA.

And if they start making threes like they did today, go to Vegas and invest everything you got. Although I still feel they're the favorites, even if they are the worst 3 pt. shooting team in the land. Those guys are so athletic, agile and quick they can invade and evade anything standing in the lane.

But yes, unless what they did today is something they continue to do, they will likely see quite a bit of zone. But it better be a good one. Especially if Tre Jones is playing.

Zag games are the only games I sit and watch but had this one on for a while working around the house.

Reminded me of just how much I hate “one and done” (should be banned) and dislike the 3 ball (just getting too easy and diminishes other aspects of the game.................move the arc back, except maybe in the corners).

Think I heard that Duke’s 3 Freshman (I believe all one and done’s) scored ALL but about 13 of Duke’s 81.
    I rest my case!

Without our 1 and done we don’t get to Championship game against UNC.

just saying