Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Other Games for the Week of 2/4 - 2/10

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Congrats to your daughter and the team CG3!
    Thanks! I'll be up to Spokane to meet some more great ZAG fans!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saturday Summary:

Saturday - 2/9/2019
    #1 Baylor broke open a tight game in the 3rd quarter to beat a game TCU team 89-71.
    #5 UConn as expected had little trouble with a 0.333 Temple team 109-74.
    #13 Gonzaga had no trouble with Portland 93-62.
    #14 Texas used a big 1st quarter to put away Kansas 91-73.
    #22 Iowa State played a great first 3 quarters to put away a decent West Virginia team 77-61.

WCC Results - 2/9/2019
    Gonzaga puts away Portland 93-62.
    LMU holds serve at San Francisco 73-66.
    BYU throttles Pacific 75-49.
    Pepperdine needed a 28 pt 4th quarter to nip Santa Clara 76-74.
    St. Mary's had no trouble with San Diego 80-49.

Sunday has some good games on the schedule and some which could impact the lady zags poll standing. #4 Notre Dame continues their Florida trip with a game against #24 Florida State. Unranked Tennessee goes into Starkville to try and see if they can beat #6 Mississippi State. #10 Maryland travels to New Jersey to play #20 Rutgers. #3 Oregon travels to the farm to play #11 Stanford. #7 Oregon State tries to right the ship by playing at California.

ZagDad

Maryland got revenge on Rutgers 62-48. Scarlet Knights were down by 20 for a good chunk of the second half. Got knocked out of first place in the Big 10.

Utah dropped their 4th game in a row 100-90 at home to UCLA. Bruins are money on the road, 6-1 in conference games away from Pauley.

Colorado got their first conference win today, over USC. Now the battle for the cellar is really on between the Buffs and UW.

Oregon is crushing Stanford at Maples, up 24 at halftime. They weren't quite there yet last year, but maybe UO has taken the next step and is truly a National Championship contender this season.

Oregon is up 74-40 in the 4th quarter against Stanford. There's no way anybody predicted a beat down like that. Ducks seem to be figuring out how to play some defense this year. Ionescu is closing in on yet another triple double.

Cal was up 10 in Q2 but Beavs have surged and are up 8 now at the end of Q3. Anigwe is having another monster game but getting no help. Pivec and Goodman woke up in the second half to give Slocum some help.

Iowa is cruising against Ohio St. and will knock Rutgers down to 3rd in the Big 10 standings. Gustafson w/ another double double 27 points 15 rebounds 13-18 FG. Her consistency is amazing.

88-48 final Oregon. Ionescu didn't get a triple double but scored 27. Read elsewhere that is THE WORST home less for Stanford during Tara's tenure there.

Oregon St. hangs on 82-74. Hit FTs down the stretch. Anigwe had a monster game w/ 31 points and 18 rebounds, that's been nearly par for the course for her lately. Slocum had 26 for OSU, Goodman 17 and Pivec 16.

Weird game for Cal. Started out hitting 3's, were 4-7, then they slumped to 5-18, hit I think 5 in a row in the 4th quarter, then missed their last 5. Finished 11-33. OSU is usually dependent on their 3 point shooting but they were only 5-17, proving they can win w/out the 3 ball. Big task coming up w/ back to back games against the red hot Ducks next weekend.

[QUOTE=seacatfan Read elsewhere that is THE WORST home less for Stanford during Tara's tenure there.[/QUOTE]

Lotta' worst losses goin' around the last few hours.
    This ain't rocket surgery!

The Oregon Ducks crushed Stanford beat them by 40 points were up by 20 at half time. Coach Kelly Graves team looks very powerful, didn't they make the final four the last two years, sure they will be their again.

It looked like a college team playing a high school team such a mismatch. They have 5 of their top scorers shooting over 80% free throws, 4 players shooting over 40% 3s, and Hebard shooting 71% FG.

They are shooting 52.6% FG and 43% 3s as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    didn't they make the final four the last two years, sure they will be their again.
    Elite 8 two years in a row. The first time was a huge surprise, last year was maybe slightly disappointing they didn't make it to the Final 4. They certainly look like 1 of the 4 best teams in the country at this point.

Thanks SeaCat for keeping us up to date on today's Wbb games.

While we have all had fun poll watching and guessing the upward and downward movement of the Lady Zags, tomorrow, at halftime of the UConn-South Carolina game, the NCAA tournament committee will release their list of the top-16 seeds. With BYU's recent troubles (yesterday excluded), the Lady Zags really don't have much chance to enhance their resume the rest of this year. They likely will need help from the teams seeded ahead of them to move up to a Top-16 seed and to host. One thing to keep in mind is that conference championships and tournament championships do enhance a team's resume. Gonzaga will be favored to win both the season and WCC tourney championships. The teams immediately above them on the seed lines will not be favored to win their tourney's.

According to Charlie Crème (ESPN Wbb Bracketologist) he currently has the Lady Zags as a #5 seed. I think there is potential to move up. I think several of the teams seeded above GU will likely lose 2-3 games before their conference tournaments. Needless to say, it goes without saying that the lady zags must win out and hope the chips fall in the appropriate order so that they move up and do not get passed from behind.

Unfortunately, Sunday's results we only a minor help to the lady zags. Most of the higher seeded teams won and the teams that GU has victories over were beaten handily. Maybe next week will have better results.

Sunday's Results - 2/10/2019

#2 Louisville used a 6 pt 3rd quarter difference to pull away from a stubborn Virginia Tech 72-63.
    #3 Oregon absolutely destroyed #11 Stanford on the farm 88-48. Stanford probably drops below the Zags in the Polls and may drop to a #3 seed based on today's game.
    #4 Notre Dame had little trouble at home with #24 Florida State 97-70. The 27 point loss probably drops FSU out of the Poll and may drop them a seed line.

#6 Mississippi State had little trouble at home with Tennessee 91-63. According to Charlie Crème, the 28 point drops Tennessee out of the tournament. Tennessee is the only collegiate team to make every NCAA tournament. The Volunteers have chances to get back in but they are going to have to beat some ranked teams to do it.

#7 Oregon State made their free throws down the stretch to beat a good California team in Berkley 82-74. OSU needs to split or win both games against the Ducks next week if they want to hold onto their seed line.

#8 Marquette had no trouble with unranked Villanova 93-55. Crème has Marquette as a 3 seed, not sure why he has Marquette ranked so high above GU since GU has better wins and better losses, but I doubt Marquette loses the rest of the regular season or in the Big East tournament.

#10 Maryland took care of #20 Rutgers in New Jersey quite easily, 62-48, squaring up the season series with Rutgers.
    #15 Syracuse had little trouble taking down Boston College 96-69.
    #16 Iowa maybe had a relatively easy day against a 0.500 Ohio State team 78-52.
    #17 Utah continues their free-fall with their 4th straight loss, this time to UCLA 100-90.
    #25 Miami followed up their big win against ND with a relatively easy victory over a poor Pittsburg team 65-51.

Only three (3) games in the Top-25 on Monday. #5 UConn vs #12 South Carolina, #19 Kentucky travels to Tuscaloosa to play a 0.500 Alabama squad and #23 the jackal and hyde squad of Michigan State hosts a decent Indiana team.

See you tomorrow to discuss the committee's seedings.

ZagDad

I watched the Oregon-Stanford game.

The verdict is in: Kelly's team is by far the cream of the Pac-12, and Sabrina just might help him win a National Championship. It would not surprise me.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

its that extra coaching that violated ncaa rules and whatever else........

Default Graves

Kelly is a helluva coach who changed that program around. Wow.

Hey SeaCat,

I don't know if the weather was any better in Seattle on Sunday, but UCLA made it to UW for a Women's gymnastics meet and over 7200 attended (a record crowd for UW). The announcers kept referring to how bad the weather was, so was it better on Sunday in Seattle or was Saturday really that bad that they had to cancel the ASU-UW Wbb game?

For what it's worth, my wife flew out of Spokane to Phoenix Friday morning and the ASU Wbb team was on the flight. No charter, at least this week, for the Sun Devils.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Hey SeaCat,

I don't know if the weather was any better in Seattle on Sunday, but UCLA made it to UW for a Women's gymnastics meet and over 7200 attended (a record crowd for UW). The announcers kept referring to how bad the weather was, so was it better on Sunday in Seattle or was Saturday really that bad that they had to cancel the ASU-UW Wbb game?

For what it's worth, my wife flew out of Spokane to Phoenix Friday morning and the ASU Wbb team was on the flight. No charter, at least this week, for the Sun Devils.

ZagDad
    Yeah, that seemed really weird to me that the basketball game had to be cancelled on Saturday but the gymnastics meet went ahead as scheduled. Don't have a good explanation for you. It snowed Friday afternoon/night, no snow on Saturday, then started snowing again on Sunday. Some of it from last weekend hadn't melted off yet, so it's accumulated a decent amount. More than a foot at my house just north of Seattle (I know, doesn't seem like much, but we typically don't get much). I don't know if UW area has a similar amount. The first round of snow a week ago was a bit colder temps and we got lots of icy roads, doesn't seem as bad this weekend.

Question

If you want to get cynical, maybe they figured attendance for the women's hoops game wouldn't have been very good but they wanted to cash in on all the buzz Ohashi has been generating for the UCLA gymnastics team.

Well Ohashi (from Federal way, I think) did get a "10" for her floor routine and a 9.975 on Beam. Kayla Ross also had a "10" for the Bruins.

Bruins (ranked #3) won easily but UW (ranked #15) put up a good score and showed well.

ZagDad