Thread: Gonzaga ranked #13 in latest AP Poll - February 4th

Post Gonzaga ranked #13 in latest AP Poll - February 4th

Gonzaga ranked #13:

Zags move up 2 spots this week...

Women's College Basketball Rankings - Week 14

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

Stanford has plenty of room to move up again IF they can manage to beat the Oregon schools...big if. NC st is facing the brutal part of their schedule. so there will be other movement....lets hope we do our part.

Stanford has plenty of room to move up again IF they can manage to beat the Oregon schools..
    Or move down if they lose to the Oregon Schools and ASU.

Oregon State also has this same issue as they play at Cal and Stanford, then play Oregon twice in a home and home next week and finish up at #20 ASU.

These games are all regular season games and do not reflect the various conference tournaments which will add a loss to all teams but the eventual winner.

ZagDad

Right back where they started before the loss.

Onwards and upwards!
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Gonzaga WBB @ZagWBB 3h hours ago

That feeling when you return to your program-best No. 13 ranking ������ #ZagUp #UnitedWeZag

Gonzaga Twitter Link

I'm surprised. I thought we would only move up 1. We are getting some respect.

Well, here was a correct prognostication from an astute and conscientious supporter of women's college basketball as well as an enthusiastic Lady Zag fan...

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    ...I say the Lady Zags move past #12 Texas, #13 Iowa and #14 Utah but the pundits move South Carolina above Gonzaga.

3 up and 1 down leaves the Lady Zags at #13 this week.

What say you?

ZagDad

Everyone have a "Zagnificent" week and enjoy the Lady Zags efforts...

Quote Originally Posted by TerpZag View Post
    Well, here was a correct prognostication from an astute and conscientious supporter of women's college basketball as well as an enthusiastic Lady Zag fan...

Everyone have a "Zagnificent" week and enjoy the Lady Zags efforts...
    Let's see, one week right out of two.

Reminds me of college.

Thanks TerpZag

ZagDad

Nice! Go Zags!

The Lady Zags up to #12 in the AP Coach's Poll () the highest rating ever for the GU Wbb team.

Difference between the polls this week is the Pundits voted to put South Carolina in front of the Lady Zags and the Coach's put South Carolina immediately behind Gonzaga. In both cases, the difference in points between GU and USC is quite a bit.

The other interesting item is that the Coach's have voted to put Maryland all the way up to #8 and have Stanford (#11), Oregon State (#10) and NC State (#9) directly in front of us. The biggest difference being Oregon State at #7 in the AP poll and at #10 in the Coach's poll and Maryland at #10 in the AP poll and at #8 in the coach's poll. In any case, with two, Pac-12 teams and NC State relatively close to us, if the lady zags keep winning, their is potential for further upwards movement.

Way to go ladies, nice job.

Let's finish off the conference schedule with a flurry.

GoZags Announcement Link: https://gozags.com/news/2019/2/5/wom...ches-poll.aspx

Poll Comparison Link: http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

ZagDad

Marquette at #7 in the coaches poll? Looking at their schedule, that seems way too high. Best wins are South Dakota St. (5 losses OOC), mediocre Michigan and mediocre DePaul X2. I'm not seeing it. They are ahead of Stanford and Oregon St. who have the same or very similar record and both have better wins than MU does.

BYU sure wilted under the pressure of being ranked. So sad.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Gonzaga ranked #12 (up 1 place from last week):

USA Today/Coaches Poll - Week 14

Congratulations Gonzaga Lady Zags!

Gonzaga WBB @ZagWBB

Movin' on up!

We're a program-record No. 12 in this week's USA Today/WBCA Coaches Poll 👏👏👏

Full release ➡️ https://goza.gs/2I2ggA2 #UnitedWeZag

Gonzaga Twitter Link

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    BYU sure wilted under the pressure of being ranked. So sad.
    BYU has been living on borrowed time for much of the season, both at home and away, last week it caught up with them. Fail to play a complete game against a quality opponent who wants to beat you and it is easy to lose a game in the WCC.

Gonzaga had about 3-4 things go poorly and still had a shot to beat BYU in Provo.

That is what makes what the Lady Zags did last year (excluding the debacle against St. Mary's) and what they have done this year so impressive. The wins have not necessarily been all that pretty, but they are wins and usually double digit wins. They really have not had a bad "let down" in conference (once again excluding last year's St. Mary's at the Kennel) in almost 2 years. They have had the best team, and for the vast majority of games, have shown just that.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Marquette at #7 in the coaches poll? Looking at their schedule, that seems way too high. Best wins are South Dakota St. (5 losses OOC), mediocre Michigan and mediocre DePaul X2. I'm not seeing it. They are ahead of Stanford and Oregon St. who have the same or very similar record and both have better wins than MU does.
    What is more important, good wins or lack of bad loses? While I continue to refer to the P-6 conferences in Bb discussions, in Wbb, I don't really feel that the Big East is on par with the traditional P-5 conferences. After watching numerous Wbb Big East games, I am not sure that I would put the Big East significantly above the WCC overall for conference strength. Obviously, the voters, in both polls, are treating Marquette as if they belonged to a P-5 conference.

That being said, what is considered more important to the voters, good wins against traditional P-5 conferences, winning records against P-5 conference teams and/or the lack of any bad loses? Marquette has three (3) losses; to #24 Miami in Miami (by 8 pts), to #6 Mississippi State in Starksville (by 5 points) and to #5 Notre Dame in Milwaukee (by 24 pts). Their only wins against traditional P-5 conference teams include beating Michigan (by 11 in Milwaukee) and beating Northwestern (by 19 points in Evanston). Their only other "good" wins are against Mid-major powers South Dakota State and Green Bay (both at home in Milwaukee) and conference foe Depaul (who has been ranked on and off this year) by 33 at home and by 6 on the road.

When compared to Gonzaga, the Lady Zags have a worse loss (at BYU) but played Notre Dame much closer and at a neutral site. GU has two better wins (Rutgers & Stanford) than any win Marquette has come up with. Finally, GU has a better record against traditional P-5 conference foes at 3-1 versus Marquette's 2-3 record.

The only thing going for Marquette, is that they currently (as of today) have an RPI of 8 while Gonzaga has an RPI of 12. For reference, Oregon State only has an RPI of 31 which is tied with, of all teams, BYU.

RPI Link: https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...basketball-rpi

We all know the RPI sucks as a comparison tool, but it is what the NCAA selection committee uses. If they, and the pollsters used good wins and bad losses, GU should be ranked ahead of Marquette, but as we know, that will not happen until Marquette loses, which by looking at their schedule, probably won't happen.

ZagDad

According to the CollegeInsider, the Lady Zags have solidified their hold on 1st in the Top-25 mid-major poll with Gonzaga getting 29 of the 31 first place votes. The other first place votes when to South Dakota (1) and Florida Gulf Coast (1).

Perhaps most interesting was that BYU, despite losing twice last week, only dropped from #4 to #7.

Hmmmmm… I wonder if the fact that the BYU head coach (Jeff Judkins) is a voter had anything to do with it?

CollegeInsider Link: http://www.collegeinsider.com/womens...jor-top-25.php

ZagDad

I was wondering whether IF the Zags remain highly ranked, if its a MUST to win the Tourney?....if we go without a loss, very high possibility IMO, and get in the top 10 and then loose the tourney, would they kick us out of the top 16 teams with two games at home?

are we finally getting enough respect for the various polls/committees to keep us highly ranked even with a 3 rd loss?.....

Congrats to GU WBB... well earned.

The Polls and RPI are always interesting. I was looking at GU to be going down hill in the RPI just because of the WCC schedule. It appears the league has shown a stronger non league schedule. As for the Ladies...I can’t believe I’m saying this, but because of the GU men’s success, the University is a household name. Go to the west side of the state and you see more GU gear in the stores then our state universities.

I’m not taking anything away from the women... they are a great team that is determined to take on the challenge. GU is seen as a basketball University and the quality of their recruits is showing.
    We have talked about the strength of the bench... you just don’t see a let down in the rotation. Look at the numbers for the 4th quarter.

Wouldn’t it be fun to have two teams in the top 10...

Go Zags!!

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    I was wondering whether IF the Zags remain highly ranked, if its a MUST to win the Tourney?....if we go without a loss, very high possibility IMO, and get in the top 10 and then loose the tourney, would they kick us out of the top 16 teams with two games at home?

are we finally getting enough respect for the various polls/committees to keep us highly ranked even with a 3 rd loss?.....
    I don't think anything is ever guaranteed, even our attendance in the tournament at all. A loss or two in the regular season and another at the tournament and our NCAA tournament place could very well be in jeopardy. If we win out and win the conference title, we should be guaranteed a spot in the NCAA tourney, but any loss puts our chances at hosting to near 0%

Right now, even with our record and RPI rating, the Bracketology pundit has us as a #5 seed and Iowa State as the #4 seed in our section of the bracket. Even if we win out, we are going to need some help to get us up to a #4 seed. For example, Oregon State is a #3 seed and could easily lose 3 times (Oregon twice, Stanford once and ASU) in the next two weeks even without the Pac-12 tournament. Stanford is a #2 seed and they could equally lose to both Oregon schools and ASU. Syracuse is a #3 seed and could easily lose 2-3 more times (ND, Louisville, NCST, FSU) before the ACC tournament. NCST is currently a #2 seed but they could pile up the losses in bunches in the next 3 weeks. They play five (5) teams currently ranked in the Top-25 (including ND and Louisville) and also have to play UNC at UNC when UNC beat them at home by 13 this last week.

The problem is two-fold. First, since the lady zags are already a 5 seed and ranked #13, they absolutely cannot afford any loss, IMO, if they want to host. All they have left to boost their resume is BYU who laid an egg and dropped out of the polls, so we cannot help ourselves. Secondly, to keep from being runover by the P-6 teams immediately behind us, we need the Top-6 teams to continue to win and win out so that not only do the teams from 7-12 in the rankings pile up the losses but the teams from 14-20 don't get additional good wins and jump us. Thus, as much as I would like Stanford to beat both UO and OSU, I think it would be in GU's best interest to have the Ducks beat Stanford and Stanford beat OSU. Equally, we would want the Ducks to sweep next week's series with OSU and then beat ASU the week after and hope ASU beats the Beavers.

As much as it hurts to say it, it would probably be in GU's best interest to have BYU win all the rest of their games (except the one with GU) to make BYU look as good as possible.

Keep the faith Sylean, the lady zags need to win out, but it is likely that if we win out, we will move into the Top-10 in the rankings and it may be very difficult to keep the Lady Zags from hosting.

ZagDad

Just want to add, that I really don't mind our bracket. I think it lines up pretty good with a round 1 game against James Madison (winner of the CAA) and a second round game with Iowa State who does not have exceptional height. Their starters in the last game were 5'9", 6'0" 6'1" guards, 6'1" forward and 6'3" post and their starting 5 all played over 30 minutes in a 29 point victory. A pretty good match-up for a second round game to go to the sweet 16.

The only thing I see what would make it much better would be to play the games in the kennel.

ZagDad

Well ZagDad, I honestly don't know what criteria the pollsters use. I think it's highly variable.

New AP poll is out, no movement for GU. South Dakota entered the poll at #25 (22-3 record), so at least one other mid major is represented.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...9/seasontype/2