Thread: Duke Player Power Rankings

Default Duke Player Power Rankings

The lead article on ESPN's mens hoops webpage is an article about Duke Player Power Rankings where it proceeds to rank their players and discuss rankings. All I can do is laugh, what a friggin joke. Gross. I actually thought it was a joke before I opened it up and realized it's not. All time low for ESPN - I can't believe they actually create content like this.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...erious-awesome

ESPN just feeding beast. they know what people want and its more Duke more eyeballs more revenue. wouldn't do it if it wasn't working. not personal just business
    OK...LETS DO IT!..

It all ties in with their coverage of the NBA draft and the NBA itself. Everyone knows that those 3 guys are going to be the first 3 picks (unless one of the top 3 teams really needs a point guard, in which case they will draft the Murray State kid).

Along with the fact that they annually show more Duke games on ESPN than any other program.

But it is coverage like this that just makes people who are even middle of the road on Duke switch to just outright hating them. If I were Coach K, I'd be on the phone with ESPN and would be asking them to maybe tone down the hype machine a couple notches. Meanwhile ESPN is saying....
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

The funny thing is that I won't be in the least bit shocked if both RJ Barrett and Cam Reddish are only average pros. I would put money down that says the both Rui and Clarke will have better professional careers than those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    ESPN just feeding beast. they know what people want and its more Duke more eyeballs more revenue. wouldn't do it if it wasn't working. not personal just business
    I disagree, they're creating the narrative instead of letting it happen organically, which in turn makes people hate Puke.

I remember some remarks from scouts during Maui saying something to the effect that Zion needs to drop a considerable amount of weight before he can handle the grind of an NBA season. It was clear that he was getting gassed during Maui (as were others playing 3 games in 3 days) and I've seen him getting tired in a few other games.
    I guess that my point is that, yeah, he might win a dunk contest, but he's also very likely to have all that muscle be a detriment when it comes to playing 80 + games in a season, games that are at least 8 minutes longer btw

Right now Ethan Happ is a better college player than Zion. Zion will be a better pro and would dwarf Happ if he stuck around 5 years like Ethan but Happ knows how to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    The funny thing is that I won't be in the least bit shocked if both RJ Barrett and Cam Reddish are only average pros. I would put money down that says the both Rui and Clarke will have better professional careers than those guys.
    I like Barrett's potential.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

What Barrett has is the ability to break down defenses from the top of the key like very few players of his size have been able to. He does need to develop a more consistent deep range jumper.

The guy who I question is Reddish.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    I remember some remarks from scouts during Maui saying something to the effect that Zion needs to drop a considerable amount of weight before he can handle the grind of an NBA season. It was clear that he was getting gassed during Maui (as were others playing 3 games in 3 days) and I've seen him getting tired in a few other games.
    I guess that my point is that, yeah, he might win a dunk contest, but he's also very likely to have all that muscle be a detriment when it comes to playing 80 + games in a season, games that are at least 8 minutes longer btw
    I remember hearing that too, but the issue is that Zion has a very low percentage of body fat. What do you do?? It's going to be a real challenge for his trainers and the sports scientists.

Basketball really has never seen any other player like him. I am not talking about his talent. But to be that large and that powerful at 6-7 and yet be such an effective basketball player. He really belongs in football with that body.