Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filthy, Nasty Zags

Default Filthy, Nasty Zags

Running up the score on the opponents' home courts and dunking all over their fan bases - I like it

It’s a a low down dirty shame.

I really appreciate that we intentionally didn't shoot well from the FT line...this at least shows a weakness in our armor and gives teams hope that if they continually foul us, we won't score as any points...

Is the WCC more pathetic this year or we just even better than usual for Zags team?

I think the WCC is more slightly balanced this year, but not necessarily better as a whole. This is a special team and I hope they keep this up - continue to play defense regardless of the score, making plays on offense, never passing up a dunk. There should be no reason why they can't continue to score 90+ each night and hold their opponent to somewhere in the 60's or lower, while working on what they need to for the tournament.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

my fav...subs extended the lead. Jones gets hammered across the arm on dunk and Coug ends up on the deck

Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaZagFan View Post
    I think the WCC is more slightly balanced this year, but not necessarily better as a whole. This is a special team and I hope they keep this up - continue to play defense regardless of the score, making plays on offense, never passing up a dunk. There should be no reason why they can't continue to score 90+ each night and hold their opponent to somewhere in the 60's or lower, while working on what they need to for the tournament.
    I can see it now - spend an entire game playing zone defense just to work out kinks in case they ever need to switch to it for matchups

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    Is the WCC more pathetic this year or we just even better than usual for Zags team?
    More of the second than the first. The WCC is better overall, but there's less top-end competition for us. The larger thing though is that we're just that good.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Question

Oh Yeah, we are good! So just “3 little things” shade my optimism:

1. Rui at the line. Misses the second one too often?
    2. Tillie’s progress. A ways to go yet. Foul trouble?
    3. Norvell’s 3 Ball. Not as good as it was?

Sure nothing to be too concerned with now, but anyone of these “little things” could matter against top flight, big dance competition.

You think?

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    Oh Yeah, we are good! So just “3 little things” shade my optomism.

1. Rui at the line. Misses the second one too often?
    2. Tillie’s progress. A ways to go yet. Foul trouble?
    3. Norvell’s 3 Ball. Not as good as it was?

Sure nothing to be too concerned with now, but anyone of these “little things” could matter against top flight, big dance competition.

You think?
    like golf....always room for improvement even when your a 0 handicap )

I’d like to know what happened to Ruis 90% ft success which is now 73%. We will need those points come tourney time when games are decided by just a point or two.

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that the coaches are telling our guys to play every game as if the opponent were Tennessee in order to build their edge. At least we haven’t been complaining about how the Zags play down to the conference level. So, of course, we are going see a few games look like the Sack of Rome.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Coaches have challenged players. think it started after the Portland game on the defensive side. Santa Clara didn't score in the first 6 min.

Wanna get respect and take game to next level focus on details and don't let up. bury every team because we can and should with this talent level in this conference. we are the competition

Is this the best 2nd team Gonzaga has ever had?? The past two games Few has put Crandall, Jones, Tillie, Foster/Joel A. and Petrusev into the game, and there has been little drop off, even when playing against the opponent's 1st team. Like I said after SCU, the only choice Few seems to have is to run the shot clock out on offense and let the other team score. I'm joking of course

I'm not sure any team has a better player than Petrusev with where he stands in the rotation right now. You stick him out there in WCC games, and he looks like an all-WCC talent. They immediately toss the ball into him in the low block, and all that experience of battling BCS bigs and top 15 teams comes out. I kind of wish Few could find a way to get him more run. I don't want to see him lose what he's got right now. I guarantee there is going to be a game in the NCAA tourney where his services will be needed. Someone is going to foul out early with another big man in serious foul trouble. Filip will need to step in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    For perspective on that, I checked Kenpom's free page going back as far as it goes, 2002. In that time, two teams have finished w/ an offensive rating over 125, Wisconsin in 2015 at 129.0 and Nova last yr at 127.8.

So far the Zags are at 127.1 Typical # 1 offensive teams have been in the 121-123 range.

I think the consensus is that the WCC overall is better than most years.

JMHO... it is that this team is just that good. You have 7-8 or so players that can ding you for double digits. That means they have 2-3 players on the BENCH that you have to worry about... not just the starters. That is a tough battle on the defensive side of things for just about any team in D1. That's just the offense. The D is constantly improving making this team outrageously deep and dangerous. Honestly, this may be the best Zag team ever.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Mark Few wasn't being flippant when he expressed annoyance with the effort of several teams in the conference. Mad as hell and he is not going take it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by zag944 View Post
    Mark Few wasn't being flippant when he expressed annoyance with the effort of several teams in the conference. Mad as hell and he is not going take it anymore.
    I think that is part of what is behind the drubbings too. He has the talent on both sides of the ball and he is just letting them do what they are capable of for a majority of the game until the other team's soul is crushed... Then he goes to the bench and they continue to inflict the pain.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

On the dunk at the end of the USF game the announcers were talking about our program's class and that not typically being what we were about and that "Mark Few would have a talk with them". Cut to Few and he looked a lot more ticked off with the obvious foul that occurred.

We just feel a little bit more salty this year and I kind of love it.

Forget the dunk. Josh tossed it up and Clarke nearly broke his arm to grab it and stuff it. The degree of difficulty erases any snowflake remorse. lolol.. What we have this is a collection of really upper echelon kids who are now 5 star players who are very coachable and they love each other. They play for each other. Lots of joy on those faces.
    We're killin it in the WCC because we are what we are: Superior.

Zags are just this good.
    Love the zags for life

Reading between the lines, perhaps overly so, Coach Few mentioned this team in the same breath as the 2017 team when he mentioned how this team was somewhat stagnant developmentally early on but is now getting better every game —like the 2017 team did. It is nice to hear the comparison and gives me high hopes for March.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Is this the best 2nd team Gonzaga has ever had?? The past two games Few has put Crandall, Jones, Tillie, Foster/Joel A. and Petrusev into the game, and there has been little drop off, even when playing against the opponent's 1st team. Like I said after SCU, the only choice Few seems to have is to run the shot clock out on offense and let the other team score. I'm joking of course

I'm not sure any team has a better player than Petrusev with where he stands in the rotation right now. You stick him out there in WCC games, and he looks like an all-WCC talent. They immediately toss the ball into him in the low block, and all that experience of battling BCS bigs and top 15 teams comes out. I kind of wish Few could find a way to get him more run. I don't want to see him lose what he's got right now. I guarantee there is going to be a game in the NCAA tourney where his services will be needed. Someone is going to foul out early with another big man in serious foul trouble. Filip will need to step in.
    same thoughts here re. there will be a time when he's needed come March. the Charlie Bell factor, all that experience and belief he gained with others out (and Zag depth in general now), could be big. He's getting some minutes, albeit in garbage time with that 2nd unit

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Running up the score on the opponents' home courts and dunking all over their fan bases - I like it
    They are like Hobbits
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I’d like to know what happened to Ruis 90% ft success. . .
    It was a figment of your imagination
    YR FT FTA %
    16-17 13 24 54.2%
    17-18 105 132 79.5%
    18-19 99 134 73.9%
    Career 217 290 74.8%

Doesn't make your point about needing those charity stripe points in tight tournament games less valid, Doc. Clarke's FT shooting has been worrisome also. . .he's at 65% YTD

Stats source: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...chimura-1.html
    Last edited by RenoZag; 02-02-2019 at 05:56 AM.