Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Filthy, Nasty Zags

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,225

    Default Filthy, Nasty Zags

    Running up the score on the opponents' home courts and dunking all over their fan bases - I like it

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,233

    Default

    It’s a a low down dirty shame.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,239

    Default

    I really appreciate that we intentionally didn't shoot well from the FT line...this at least shows a weakness in our armor and gives teams hope that if they continually foul us, we won't score as any points...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    2,846

    Default

    Is the WCC more pathetic this year or we just even better than usual for Zags team?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    426

    Default

    I think the WCC is more slightly balanced this year, but not necessarily better as a whole. This is a special team and I hope they keep this up - continue to play defense regardless of the score, making plays on offense, never passing up a dunk. There should be no reason why they can't continue to score 90+ each night and hold their opponent to somewhere in the 60's or lower, while working on what they need to for the tournament.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,073

    Default

    my fav...subs extended the lead. Jones gets hammered across the arm on dunk and Coug ends up on the deck

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaZagFan View Post
    I think the WCC is more slightly balanced this year, but not necessarily better as a whole. This is a special team and I hope they keep this up - continue to play defense regardless of the score, making plays on offense, never passing up a dunk. There should be no reason why they can't continue to score 90+ each night and hold their opponent to somewhere in the 60's or lower, while working on what they need to for the tournament.
    I can see it now - spend an entire game playing zone defense just to work out kinks in case they ever need to switch to it for matchups

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    Is the WCC more pathetic this year or we just even better than usual for Zags team?
    More of the second than the first. The WCC is better overall, but there's less top-end competition for us. The larger thing though is that we're just that good.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,036

    Question

    Oh Yeah, we are good! So just “3 little things” shade my optimism:

    1. Rui at the line. Misses the second one too often?
    2. Tillie’s progress. A ways to go yet. Foul trouble?
    3. Norvell’s 3 Ball. Not as good as it was?

    Sure nothing to be too concerned with now, but anyone of these “little things” could matter against top flight, big dance competition.

    You think?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    Oh Yeah, we are good! So just “3 little things” shade my optomism.

    1. Rui at the line. Misses the second one too often?
    2. Tillie’s progress. A ways to go yet. Foul trouble?
    3. Norvell’s 3 Ball. Not as good as it was?

    Sure nothing to be too concerned with now, but anyone of these “little things” could matter against top flight, big dance competition.

    You think?
    like golf....always room for improvement even when your a 0 handicap )

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,868

    Default

    I’d like to know what happened to Ruis 90% ft success which is now 73%. We will need those points come tourney time when games are decided by just a point or two.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that the coaches are telling our guys to play every game as if the opponent were Tennessee in order to build their edge. At least we haven’t been complaining about how the Zags play down to the conference level. So, of course, we are going see a few games look like the Sack of Rome.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,073

    Default

    Coaches have challenged players. think it started after the Portland game on the defensive side. Santa Clara didn't score in the first 6 min.

    Wanna get respect and take game to next level focus on details and don't let up. bury every team because we can and should with this talent level in this conference. we are the competition

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,092

    Default

    Is this the best 2nd team Gonzaga has ever had?? The past two games Few has put Crandall, Jones, Tillie, Foster/Joel A. and Petrusev into the game, and there has been little drop off, even when playing against the opponent's 1st team. Like I said after SCU, the only choice Few seems to have is to run the shot clock out on offense and let the other team score. I'm joking of course

    I'm not sure any team has a better player than Petrusev with where he stands in the rotation right now. You stick him out there in WCC games, and he looks like an all-WCC talent. They immediately toss the ball into him in the low block, and all that experience of battling BCS bigs and top 15 teams comes out. I kind of wish Few could find a way to get him more run. I don't want to see him lose what he's got right now. I guarantee there is going to be a game in the NCAA tourney where his services will be needed. Someone is going to foul out early with another big man in serious foul trouble. Filip will need to step in.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    Is the WCC more pathetic this year or we just even better than usual for Zags team?
    For perspective on that, I checked Kenpom's free page going back as far as it goes, 2002. In that time, two teams have finished w/ an offensive rating over 125, Wisconsin in 2015 at 129.0 and Nova last yr at 127.8.

    So far the Zags are at 127.1 Typical # 1 offensive teams have been in the 121-123 range.

    I think the consensus is that the WCC overall is better than most years.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,331

    Default

    JMHO... it is that this team is just that good. You have 7-8 or so players that can ding you for double digits. That means they have 2-3 players on the BENCH that you have to worry about... not just the starters. That is a tough battle on the defensive side of things for just about any team in D1. That's just the offense. The D is constantly improving making this team outrageously deep and dangerous. Honestly, this may be the best Zag team ever.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,355

    Default

    Mark Few wasn't being flippant when he expressed annoyance with the effort of several teams in the conference. Mad as hell and he is not going take it anymore.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zag944 View Post
    Mark Few wasn't being flippant when he expressed annoyance with the effort of several teams in the conference. Mad as hell and he is not going take it anymore.
    I think that is part of what is behind the drubbings too. He has the talent on both sides of the ball and he is just letting them do what they are capable of for a majority of the game until the other team's soul is crushed... Then he goes to the bench and they continue to inflict the pain.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,355

    Default

    On the dunk at the end of the USF game the announcers were talking about our program's class and that not typically being what we were about and that "Mark Few would have a talk with them". Cut to Few and he looked a lot more ticked off with the obvious foul that occurred.

    We just feel a little bit more salty this year and I kind of love it.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,868

    Default

    Forget the dunk. Josh tossed it up and Clarke nearly broke his arm to grab it and stuff it. The degree of difficulty erases any snowflake remorse. lolol.. What we have this is a collection of really upper echelon kids who are now 5 star players who are very coachable and they love each other. They play for each other. Lots of joy on those faces.
    We're killin it in the WCC because we are what we are: Superior.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    4,998

    Default

    Zags are just this good.
    Love the zags for life

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,233

    Default

    Reading between the lines, perhaps overly so, Coach Few mentioned this team in the same breath as the 2017 team when he mentioned how this team was somewhat stagnant developmentally early on but is now getting better every game —like the 2017 team did. It is nice to hear the comparison and gives me high hopes for March.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    sierra foothills
    Posts
    12,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Is this the best 2nd team Gonzaga has ever had?? The past two games Few has put Crandall, Jones, Tillie, Foster/Joel A. and Petrusev into the game, and there has been little drop off, even when playing against the opponent's 1st team. Like I said after SCU, the only choice Few seems to have is to run the shot clock out on offense and let the other team score. I'm joking of course

    I'm not sure any team has a better player than Petrusev with where he stands in the rotation right now. You stick him out there in WCC games, and he looks like an all-WCC talent. They immediately toss the ball into him in the low block, and all that experience of battling BCS bigs and top 15 teams comes out. I kind of wish Few could find a way to get him more run. I don't want to see him lose what he's got right now. I guarantee there is going to be a game in the NCAA tourney where his services will be needed. Someone is going to foul out early with another big man in serious foul trouble. Filip will need to step in.
    same thoughts here re. there will be a time when he's needed come March. the Charlie Bell factor, all that experience and belief he gained with others out (and Zag depth in general now), could be big. He's getting some minutes, albeit in garbage time with that 2nd unit

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Running up the score on the opponents' home courts and dunking all over their fan bases - I like it
    They are like Hobbits
    I am working on being a more all around square.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Down the street and around the corner
    Posts
    44,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I’d like to know what happened to Ruis 90% ft success. . .
    It was a figment of your imagination
    YR FT FTA %
    16-17 13 24 54.2%
    17-18 105 132 79.5%
    18-19 99 134 73.9%
    Career 217 290 74.8%

    Doesn't make your point about needing those charity stripe points in tight tournament games less valid, Doc. Clarke's FT shooting has been worrisome also. . .he's at 65% YTD

    Stats source: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...chimura-1.html
    Last edited by RenoZag; 02-02-2019 at 05:56 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •