• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GonzagasaurusFlex
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

The Athletic: Interesting Take On Zags

Kendra Andrews of The Athletic (and current Gonzaga student) posted an article last Friday about Tillie. In reply to a comment there she said:
    Kendra Andrews
    I think it’s very likable that Few plays Rui Clark and Tillie as starters and moves Corey Kispert to the bench. I think Killian is fully healed however he’s not back to his old self as far as playing. Once he’s got his quickness back and is has his legs under him a bit more I think you’ll see him start. I would predict he is back starting by the end of the month/beginning of February.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags
  • Zagceo
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

yep

Comment

• DZ
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2007

In terms of raw firepower to put points on the board, I doubt we've ever had 5 players like that on the floor all at once. They might give-up 95 in a game, but if you score 115, you still win by 20.
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
      Mark Twain.

Comment

• Outraged
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
        Kendra Andrews of The Athletic (and current Gonzaga student) posted an article last Friday about Tillie. In reply to a comment there she said:
        I can see that. I think Krispert is a pistol off the bench. Also with all things being equal Tillie has limited time to get recognized to move to the next level. Offensive rebounds.

Comment

• MDABE80
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Not worried about Killian getting noticed. I think we all want the title. I do anyway. I have doubts Killian goes to the NBA with such limited play this year.

Comment

• Zagger
            Banned
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
            Not worried about Killian getting noticed. I think we all want the title. I do anyway. I have doubts Killian goes to the NBA with such limited play this year.
            There will be substantial buzz about Killian before the Dance is done. I feel that Killian was known pretty well by NBA scouts. He'll just have to show that he's back and that shouldn't take too long. I also feel that Killian will be a starter soon. Maybe not against BYU this evening. More likely @ home against San Diego on Saturday.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
              • Mar 2008

Too late in season to change what is working and risk potential upset of the apple cart
              The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• GrizZAG
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                Too late in season to change what is working and risk potential upset of the apple cart
                This thought has been in my mind as well.

The core team that beat Duke was able to gel quite nicely from a chemistry standpoint. KT does change the mix, however I do believe him to be a superior player and this is no slight on him at all, he's terrific and talented. Now we have an adjustment situation with both KT and Geno in the mix. It has to be a challenge for MF.
                One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• NotoriousZ
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2008

I like that lineup in smaller doses. Rui can hit the three, but he is far more valuable working in the paint. And keeping our bigs out of foul trouble is the key for us anyway.
                  It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                    Zag for Life
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                    makes sense to me. KT fouls a lot too, so off the bench a nice role for him. He can still get 25+ minutes, play a key role, be a difference maker or even the best player on the floor any given night, etc.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
                      "likeable"? Um....doesn't she mean likely?

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Outraged View Post
                        I can see that. I think Krispert is a pistol off the bench. Also with all things being equal Tillie has limited time to get recognized to move to the next level. Offensive rebounds.
                        Quick question, you always add an "r" to Corey's last name. Is that a nickname that you've given him? Just curious 'cause I notice that you always do it.

Comment

• Reborn
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2007

The team is definitely better on D with Tillie in the game instead of Petrusev. And the team will be better on D with Rui playing the wing instead of Kispert. I am looking forward to seeing Tillie start and moving Rui to the wing. Not playing a game on Saturday helped Few and the assistants develop some plays for Rui when he's playing at the wing. One thing I have noticed when Tillie is playing at the high post is that he is really good at passing down into the low post. When Rui is at the high post he's going to be looking to score. Rui has been almost unstoppable when he played the high post, and it will be interesting to see if he is equally unstoppable at the wing. I think Rui has been improving defensively each game. IMO I believe he's ready to defend the player who's playing the wing. This could also be a team that could play zone.

The Zags have 12 or 13 games left before the NCAA Tournament in March. I think this gives the team plenty of time to adjust to what could be the new starting lineup. The Zags will also be playing the toughest teams in the conference which will help prepare them for the national tournament. Accept for the game against San Francisco the conference games have been pretty boring and one sided. That should change. I know that BYU just beat St Mary's and San Diego just beat USF so the two games this weekend should be pretty good. I'm looking forward to them.

Go Zags!!!
                          Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• willandi
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2007

It will be interesting to see the starting lineup tonight, to see if Tillie starts over Kispert.

I am in the camp that having the three most productive bigs start put a defensive nightmare on opponents, but the gamble is that the Zags lose a big off the bench. I expect to see Kispert start, but would not be too surprised if Tillie starts soon.
                            Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• raise the zag
                              Zag for Life
                              • May 2011

I anticipated Tillie to return to starting lineup yet highly doubt at this point in the season.

Coach Few has played Tillie, Rui, & Clarke together for past couple games in spot minutes. Quite frankly, he didn't seem comfortable with it all, and subbed asap both games.

It is our most talented lineup but not most effective, at least offensively. Tillie seems fine, passing along the hi post, looking to spread floor, yet when he rotates inside, Rui and/or Clarke look lost -- the only times they seem lost on offense all season. Spacing gets weird and off balance.

Maybe they are still getting comfortable yet with Kispert staying wide right or left, and only going inside to crash the boards, our spacing is more fluid and open.

The lineup simply hasn't worked well...yet.

Our defense is likely better, yet hasn't been noticeable vs WCC teams. Kispert is consistently exposed, even picked on, vs Top-25 teams, yet seems ok in Conference play. Still gets lost often, but that is a wart we and the coaching staff are ok with as his hustle, determination, and toughness makes up for it....most of the time.

I honestly do not think Coach Few changes the lineup the rest of the season. He also seems to love playing Geno and Tillie together in spurts, both create havoc on defense, esp Geno, and Tillie just superb when he's locked in.

Oddly enough, I like Tillie, Clarke, and Petrusev playing together on offense, it works well. Rebounding, size, spacing, etc. Its been a better lineup since Tillie's return; however, can't really take Rui off the floor. I'm just saying when Tillie is playing. Then again, its not as good on defense with Petrusev. Give and take.

I digress. Point is, I have a feeling the starting lineup remains the same til our last game this season, and Kispert has been on fire lately. Although he gives up 1 for 1 on defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X