Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Athletic: Interesting Take On Zags

Default The Athletic: Interesting Take On Zags

Kendra Andrews of The Athletic (and current Gonzaga student) posted an article last Friday about Tillie. In reply to a comment there she said:
    Kendra Andrews
    I think it’s very likable that Few plays Rui Clark and Tillie as starters and moves Corey Kispert to the bench. I think Killian is fully healed however he’s not back to his old self as far as playing. Once he’s got his quickness back and is has his legs under him a bit more I think you’ll see him start. I would predict he is back starting by the end of the month/beginning of February.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

yep

In terms of raw firepower to put points on the board, I doubt we've ever had 5 players like that on the floor all at once. They might give-up 95 in a game, but if you score 115, you still win by 20.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Kendra Andrews of The Athletic (and current Gonzaga student) posted an article last Friday about Tillie. In reply to a comment there she said:
    I can see that. I think Krispert is a pistol off the bench. Also with all things being equal Tillie has limited time to get recognized to move to the next level. Offensive rebounds.

Not worried about Killian getting noticed. I think we all want the title. I do anyway. I have doubts Killian goes to the NBA with such limited play this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Not worried about Killian getting noticed. I think we all want the title. I do anyway. I have doubts Killian goes to the NBA with such limited play this year.
    There will be substantial buzz about Killian before the Dance is done. I feel that Killian was known pretty well by NBA scouts. He'll just have to show that he's back and that shouldn't take too long. I also feel that Killian will be a starter soon. Maybe not against BYU this evening. More likely @ home against San Diego on Saturday.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Too late in season to change what is working and risk potential upset of the apple cart
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Too late in season to change what is working and risk potential upset of the apple cart
    This thought has been in my mind as well.

The core team that beat Duke was able to gel quite nicely from a chemistry standpoint. KT does change the mix, however I do believe him to be a superior player and this is no slight on him at all, he's terrific and talented. Now we have an adjustment situation with both KT and Geno in the mix. It has to be a challenge for MF.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

I like that lineup in smaller doses. Rui can hit the three, but he is far more valuable working in the paint. And keeping our bigs out of foul trouble is the key for us anyway.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

makes sense to me. KT fouls a lot too, so off the bench a nice role for him. He can still get 25+ minutes, play a key role, be a difference maker or even the best player on the floor any given night, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    "likeable"? Um....doesn't she mean likely?

Quote Originally Posted by Outraged View Post
    I can see that. I think Krispert is a pistol off the bench. Also with all things being equal Tillie has limited time to get recognized to move to the next level. Offensive rebounds.
    Quick question, you always add an "r" to Corey's last name. Is that a nickname that you've given him? Just curious 'cause I notice that you always do it.

The team is definitely better on D with Tillie in the game instead of Petrusev. And the team will be better on D with Rui playing the wing instead of Kispert. I am looking forward to seeing Tillie start and moving Rui to the wing. Not playing a game on Saturday helped Few and the assistants develop some plays for Rui when he's playing at the wing. One thing I have noticed when Tillie is playing at the high post is that he is really good at passing down into the low post. When Rui is at the high post he's going to be looking to score. Rui has been almost unstoppable when he played the high post, and it will be interesting to see if he is equally unstoppable at the wing. I think Rui has been improving defensively each game. IMO I believe he's ready to defend the player who's playing the wing. This could also be a team that could play zone.

The Zags have 12 or 13 games left before the NCAA Tournament in March. I think this gives the team plenty of time to adjust to what could be the new starting lineup. The Zags will also be playing the toughest teams in the conference which will help prepare them for the national tournament. Accept for the game against San Francisco the conference games have been pretty boring and one sided. That should change. I know that BYU just beat St Mary's and San Diego just beat USF so the two games this weekend should be pretty good. I'm looking forward to them.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

It will be interesting to see the starting lineup tonight, to see if Tillie starts over Kispert.

I am in the camp that having the three most productive bigs start put a defensive nightmare on opponents, but the gamble is that the Zags lose a big off the bench. I expect to see Kispert start, but would not be too surprised if Tillie starts soon.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I anticipated Tillie to return to starting lineup yet highly doubt at this point in the season.

Coach Few has played Tillie, Rui, & Clarke together for past couple games in spot minutes. Quite frankly, he didn't seem comfortable with it all, and subbed asap both games.

It is our most talented lineup but not most effective, at least offensively. Tillie seems fine, passing along the hi post, looking to spread floor, yet when he rotates inside, Rui and/or Clarke look lost -- the only times they seem lost on offense all season. Spacing gets weird and off balance.

Maybe they are still getting comfortable yet with Kispert staying wide right or left, and only going inside to crash the boards, our spacing is more fluid and open.

The lineup simply hasn't worked well...yet.

Our defense is likely better, yet hasn't been noticeable vs WCC teams. Kispert is consistently exposed, even picked on, vs Top-25 teams, yet seems ok in Conference play. Still gets lost often, but that is a wart we and the coaching staff are ok with as his hustle, determination, and toughness makes up for it....most of the time.

I honestly do not think Coach Few changes the lineup the rest of the season. He also seems to love playing Geno and Tillie together in spurts, both create havoc on defense, esp Geno, and Tillie just superb when he's locked in.

Oddly enough, I like Tillie, Clarke, and Petrusev playing together on offense, it works well. Rebounding, size, spacing, etc. Its been a better lineup since Tillie's return; however, can't really take Rui off the floor. I'm just saying when Tillie is playing. Then again, its not as good on defense with Petrusev. Give and take.

I digress. Point is, I have a feeling the starting lineup remains the same til our last game this season, and Kispert has been on fire lately. Although he gives up 1 for 1 on defense.

Tillie needs to play 25 to 30 minutes with starters come tourney time. He will be our best disrupter...a big that passes well and shoots three well.

I predict Tillie has a breakout game sooner rather than later.

I have no inside information but I do wonder if we worry way more about chemistry than the kids do. Few recruits high-character athletes who want to win and who I assume trust him completely to make decisions in furtherance of that goal.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

If anyone takes the starting position away from Kispert, it would be Geno in my opinion, not Tillie. As much as I love Rui, I just don't see him being effective at the 3 for long stretches

I'd like to see Rui at PF and Clark at C just like we have now, but have Tillie play the SF and be a sniper on the outside, keep the spacing, play inside out, attach the boards, and then he matches up with the PF on def.

If the team is better with Tillie coming off the bench then that's the direction it should go. Rui was often the best Zag last season as a sixth man and Few can still give Killian starter type minutes in a reserve role.

The last couple games I've noticed Kispert being a lot more aggressive. He's playing much better defense and he's driving more to the basket. Whether the coaches have had words with him or he saw Tillie waiting to take over his starting role, I like what I have seen lately. His three point shooting alone isn't good enough to keep him on the floor but if he keeps playing like he has then I think Tillie comes off the bench the rest of the season and post season.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    If anyone takes the starting position away from Kispert, it would be Geno in my opinion, not Tillie. As much as I love Rui, I just don't see him being effective at the 3 for long stretches
    This is the correct answer. I think the lineup that will be on the floor the most come tourney time will be Josh, Geno, Zach, Rui, and BC. This is the most defense we can have on the floor without sacrificing too much on the offensive side.

Tillie is a foul magnet. Kispert and Petrusev aren't much better so having more than 1 of these 3 players on the floor together is a problem.

Jeremy is a solid sub but has a lower offensive ceiling.

All that said, it's a fantastic bench.
    Quit social media. You'll be better for it.

Hoop - Never too late in the season to keep improving. Luckily, the WCC season provides ample opportunity to experiment with different line-ups and personnel groups. As we all know, it's all about March (and April) for the ZAGS, and has been for going on 20 years.

This is a great thread, good points on both sides. I am least enamored of the 3-guard lineup, comfortable with the current starting 5, and intrigued with the possibilities of the Rui/BC/Tillie/Josh/Zach grouping. Ultimately, it's a good problem to have...............

I am confident Coach will pull the right strings, at the right times.

Enjoy the ride.

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    I have no inside information but I do wonder if we worry way more about chemistry than the kids do. Few recruits high-character athletes who want to win and who I assume trust him completely to make decisions in furtherance of that goal.
    I don't think so, east. In fact, I would lean the other way. These kids are ultra competitive at this level and they are 18-22 year olds. I agree that they are high character, but mess with playing time, rotations, prestige of being a starter, etc. and it has the potential of putting mentos in a coke bottle. Few is the best judge of whose ego needs to be stroked and also of the upside even if he does ruffle some feathers. Will be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I don't think so, east. In fact, I would lean the other way. These kids are ultra competitive at this level and they are 18-22 year olds. I agree that they are high character, but mess with playing time, rotations, prestige of being a starter, etc. and it has the potential of putting mentos in a coke bottle. Few is the best judge of whose ego needs to be stroked and also of the upside even if he does ruffle some feathers. Will be interesting to see.
    forgot girlfriends or maybe that is too PC?
    roles and expectations and then sudden change to that is difficult and requires adjustment period and end of year is not good time to start that IMO

chemistry (of which you so elegantly described some of the factors that create chemistry) is a real issue that has to be balanced and I agree that Coach Few is the best judge of chemistry for success
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few