Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Newest Next Gonzaga

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Part of why there will never be another Gonzaga is that you can't have a Gonzaga without Gonzaga Univ.

It's not just the Athletic Department that pulls the program along. The "special place" plays a role, too.

Few said as much, saying it doesn't matter if you're in chemistry or education, you know right away stepping on campus that there was a higher calling there, that one is involved in something bigger.
    100% agree. It's part Mark Few, part Gonzaga University, and part the amazing and dedicated fanbase.
    "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

I’m going with Mike Roth and new logo.

The geographical location of Spokane helps - along with a filled McCarthey for every game. It’s a synergy of Few, Lloyd, Roth, home grown talent, GU, foreign kids welcomed warmly, Canooks now and again, Spokane’s big town-ness (as opposed to being a city), low # of neckties ...... and there’s no end in sight
    Go Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by HillZag View Post
    100% agree. It's part Mark Few, part Gonzaga University, and part the amazing and dedicated fanbase.
    Fitz hiring Monson, Few and Grier ... the three roommates who sought to change the paradigm of Gonzaga Basketball.

I've told the story of what Few told The Pontiff and I in '00 or '01 (after his first season or two as h.c.). Few said when he first arrived as a Grad Assistant he was pulled aside by the Campus Elders and told "You will never win this league and that's okay. Just don't finish last. Last place isn't tolerated around here." Those were his marching orders.

He, Munse and Grier worked hard to change that ... and when Fitz left and Monson took over ... they immediately changed their scheduling (and recruiting) philosophy .... going to the Top of the World Tourney (and winning it ... beating Tulsa, Mississippi State and Clemson) ... they played at Kansas, at Purdue, at Michigan State under Monson. It truly was "Anyone, anytime, anywhere". And ... they started going after Pac 10 type guys.

Sure ... some of the things (including Spitzer) that have been mentioned "helped" ... but it was the three roommates ... Few, Grier and Monson that were the impetus of what we are enjoying now ... Gonzaga Basketball ... a program firmly ensconced among the nation's powerhouses.

As I recall from my Logic classes...there are a plethora of causes … immediate causes...ultimate causes....secondary causes ….apparent causes....effective causes ...yada....yada...yada......there is only one constant in this journey.....FEW....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    As I recall from my Logic classes...there are a plethora of causes … immediate causes...ultimate causes....secondary causes ….apparent causes....effective causes ...yada....yada...yada......there is only one constant in this journey.....FEW....
    I think this summarizes what most posters are saying, namely, Coach Few is the primary cause and without him, no one would have imagined the MBB program ever achieving the same level of sustained success. And he's increased the value of a GU degree for all of us alums while allowing the University to attract greater numbers of highly qualified students! We can't thank him enough. But there are a lot of other lucky/contributing causes including the players, Tommy Lloyd's recruiting, the nearly unparalleled home environment led by the KC, the number of alums who show up for road games and have given us a rep for "traveling well, etc.

There are lots of nominees for "best supporting _____" in this epic story. And, I still go back to Dixie's point about Gonzaga University itself being a key COG (pun intended for old timers). I think the culture is the glue that has nurtured and sustained the program from making it comfortable for Coach Few to stay and other coaches to make GU their "home" to the ability to attract the type of team-first players that fit MF's style to the bonding between players and their fellow students that brings so many of them back to campus to work out with the next generation, etc. The culture is critical. Witness the list of other small, mid-major schools referenced in this string who had streaks of success but coaches moved on, recruits lost interest, and their MBB programs slipped off the radar (occasionally resurfacing, but then slipping back). If you heard Zach Collins interviewed during last night's ROOT telecast, you heard him say that one of the coolest things that has happened in his basketball "career" is playing in the Kennel with the KC rocking and the social interaction with fellow students on campus. Gotta credit the University in its many dimensions for being great supporters of a gem of a coach and making us the gold standard for every mid-major college that aspires to have a great MBB program.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Fitz hiring Monson, Few and Grier ... the three roommates who sought to change the paradigm of Gonzaga Basketball.

I've told the story of what Few told The Pontiff and I in '00 or '01 (after his first season or two as h.c.). Few said when he first arrived as a Grad Assistant he was pulled aside by the Campus Elders and told "You will never win this league and that's okay. Just don't finish last. Last place isn't tolerated around here." Those were his marching orders.

He, Munse and Grier worked hard to change that ... and when Fitz left and Monson took over ... they immediately changed their scheduling (and recruiting) philosophy .... going to the Top of the World Tourney (and winning it ... beating Tulsa, Mississippi State and Clemson) ... they played at Kansas, at Purdue, at Michigan State under Monson. It truly was "Anyone, anytime, anywhere". And ... they started going after Pac 10 type guys.

Sure ... some of the things (including Spitzer) that have been mentioned "helped" ... but it was the three roommates ... Few, Grier and Monson that were the impetus of what we are enjoying now ... Gonzaga Basketball ... a program firmly ensconced among the nation's powerhouses.
    Good read
    I am working on being a more all around square.