Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Newest Next Gonzaga

Default The Newest Next Gonzaga

FTR, I really like this Buffalo team. I just get a slight chuckle out of the headline. How many times has that phrase been used in print for different teams?
    I’d guess maybe as high as a dozen.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ege-basketball

More like dozens.......and AD's thinking that their coach could make their program into the next Gonzaga has led to hundreds of firings.

There will never be another Gonzaga because so much of what made Gonzaga was luck, a special personality like Few and as even Evan Daniels said, Gonzaga's geographic position on the map. Plus being in a league were they could stick out.

Nate Oats, just like everyone else, is going to be working at a BCS school in the next few years. It is impossible to stick out in the MAC. It is the most competitive league in division one basketball. All the teams are located in the same geographic area, they recruit from the same pool of players (Michigan, Ohio and Illinois), and they all have the same resources. It is almost impossible to be consistently great in that league. It is very common for teams in that league to be great for a couple of years and come way down to earth. There have been many teams like Buffalo in that conference over the years. They come down to earth.

Part of why there will never be another Gonzaga is that you can't have a Gonzaga without Gonzaga Univ.

It's not just the Athletic Department that pulls the program along. The "special place" plays a role, too.

Few said as much, saying it doesn't matter if you're in chemistry or education, you know right away stepping on campus that there was a higher calling there, that one is involved in something bigger.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

But We want to be the next Gonzaga,” Cal State Northridge athletics director Brandon Martin told reporters when he introduced Reggie Theus as his new basketball coach in 2013. (Theus is 47-81 in the four years since.)

“We want to be the next Gonzaga,” Oakland coach Greg Kampe told the New York Times in 2010 when the Grizzlies made the NCAA tournament for the second time. (They’ve returned just once in the six years since.)

We can be the next Gonzaga,” Kellen Winslow, Sr., told the San Diego Union Tribune three years ago when he became athletics director at Florida A&M. (He resigned from the job months later after a short but disastrous tenure.)

Wichita State has the resources to keep their coach and has the community support....it could happen..

Honestly it all starts with Coach Few and his presence of mind to stay where he is instead of chasing the "big program with the big name." Every year there's a coach who turns a mid major program into a NCAA tournament team that over excels beyond their talent. Then that coach gets poached by an underperforming Power 5 conference team and the program sinks. Coach Few didn't do that, but if you recall Dan Monson did. We are unbelievably lucky, not only to have Monson leave but Few stay. Not trying to bash Monson, but today I'm thinking it goes beyond saying that today we'd rather have Few than Monson.

After that, GU had the good sense to turn that success into amazing success for the university. GU is amazingly supportive; I just believe it started with the coach.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Wichita State has the resources to keep their coach and has the community support....it could happen..
    They've been to 7 dances in a row but looks like they'll miss out this year (8-8, 1-3) unless they win their conference tourney. Hard to see them getting by Houston & Cincy.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Already listed. I might stop at 12.

UT-Arlington. Even after Cross led UTA to the best season in program history last season the coach's end-of-year meeting with Baker didn't go well. Voices were raised amid Baker telling Cross he wanted UTA to be the "next Gonzaga

Speaking of Cincinnati. http://www.newsrecord.org/sports/opi...dab94fcd6.html

Butler. All the talk has been about Butler becoming the next Gonzaga, but no one truly felt as though the small school just blocks from downtown Indianapolis would be able to sustain its success in the same manner that the ’Zags have done in Spokane, Wash.

Just think if Few liked surfing instead of fishing....Cal Poly San Luis Obispo could have been the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Just think if Few liked surfing instead of fishing....Cal Poly San Luis Obispo could have been the original.
    The only way for a mid-major school to reach success remotely like GU in this day and age would require an outside the box recruiting (all grad transfers or a pipeline to a specific country or countries) and a coach with a personality that might not be lured to the brighter stage. Seriously, I think there is still hope for Saint Mary's. Although they don't have the exclusive stage GU has in Spokane, they still could do it. Randy needs a few better Aussies and maybe a hidden gem to get back into the top 25 consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Already listed. I might stop at 12.

UT-Arlington. Even after Cross led UTA to the best season in program history last season the coach's end-of-year meeting with Baker didn't go well. Voices were raised amid Baker telling Cross he wanted UTA to be the "next Gonzaga

Speaking of Cincinnati. http://www.newsrecord.org/sports/opi...dab94fcd6.html

Butler. All the talk has been about Butler becoming the next Gonzaga, but no one truly felt as though the small school just blocks from downtown Indianapolis would be able to sustain its success in the same manner that the ’Zags have done in Spokane, Wash.
    It's a great effort. But, this thread will be 10 pages long if you continue with the dedication.

Had Butler kept their coach, I have little doubt they would have sustained their success. He is very good.

What is funny is that the closest one is probably SMC, nowhere near our success but again sustaining it a long time.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    They've been to 7 dances in a row but looks like they'll miss out this year (8-8, 1-3) unless they win their conference tourney. Hard to see them getting by Houston & Cincy.
    If going to 20 straight (plus) NCAA's is the standard....well.....gee....high bar...but they could dominate their Conference and be a power for decades....kinda Gonzaga like....or lite....

Creighton also has the resources and the community support but it is hard to imagine they could dominate the Big East.

Hard to imagine anyone will exactly equal what has been accomplished at Gonzaga....the trick is to be a Elite Program in a non Power Conference...over a long period of time...
    Last edited by bartruff1; 01-18-2019 at 12:38 PM.

It's been so long, I don't even remember. Was there a Gonzaga before Gonzaga? Who were the Zags going to be "The Next... " one of?
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

UNLV....Bradley.....Texas Western.....reached national power status but not for 20 years....

Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaZagFan View Post
    It's been so long, I don't even remember. Was there a Gonzaga before Gonzaga? Who were the Zags going to be "The Next... " one of?
    maybe Rollie's Villanova little engine that could...1985

Gotta be a CBB graveyard somewhere filled with would-be Gonzagas.

Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaZagFan View Post
    Saint Joe’s was the first. After Dr. Jack left, not so much. But the hawk will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    Honestly it all starts with Coach Few and his presence of mind to stay where he is instead of chasing the "big program with the big name." Every year there's a coach who turns a mid major program into a NCAA tournament team that over excels beyond their talent. Then that coach gets poached by an underperforming Power 5 conference team and the program sinks. Coach Few didn't do that, but if you recall Dan Monson did. We are unbelievably lucky, not only to have Monson leave but Few stay. Not trying to bash Monson, but today I'm thinking it goes beyond saying that today we'd rather have Few than Monson.

After that, GU had the good sense to turn that success into amazing success for the university. GU is amazingly supportive; I just believe it started with the coach.
    Good post

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post

well stated

Few acknowledges Monson brought him to Spokane so it did start with a coach )

BZ mentioned this last week. Lotsa talkers but nobody sustains. For many reasons.

Default Highly Unlikely Gonzaga Gets Cloned

I thought CDC nailed it (and agree with Krozman that Coach Few's decision to remain at Gonzaga deserves underscoring); we are a unicorn. But then I read Dixie's comment and realized I was leaving out the "secret sauce." The University itself is what brings everything together and makes the sum greater than the parts (Coach Few, luck, geographic location, the Calvary tip, membership in WCC, etc.). The Gonzaga culture has enabled the MBB program (and now the WBB program) to grow, flourish, and renew itself year after year. Sustained excellence, forged by that institutional quality we call "being a Zag," is what makes Gonzaga basketball unreplicatable.