Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Were there any recent recruiting "misses" you regret?

Default Were there any recent recruiting "misses" you regret?

Last off season there was a lot of speculation or wishing or even in some cases real progress made toward recruiting players who didn't end up at Gonzaga.

My anecdotal observations are that most of those players have not played very well and based on watching them, Gonzaga isn't missing much or in some cases dodged a bullet. A few that come to mind:

PG transfer Joe Cremo - went to Nova and isn't doing much.
    Freshman guaes Taeshon Cherry - character issues and underwhelming play at ASU.

Freshman big Kamaka Hepa from Alaska/Portland - sits on the bench in Texas with a few unproductive minutes.

Center/forward transfer Chase Jeter - went to UoA and doesn't look half as good as our 3 main bigs.
    Freshman guard Mac Mcclung - unimpressive on a bad Georgetown team

The only much discussed recruit that I think would have been a good "get" was Williams at Arizona, but that's primarily for next season. This season it's defense that we need, not more O.

I guess my overall takeaway is that many recruiting or transfer "misses" are overblown and assume a much higher level of production than pans out. Amazing job to the coaches and staff on recruiting the squad we have!

Jordan Farmar cost us a NC.....beat that!

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Last off season there was a lot of speculation or wishing or even in some cases real progress made toward recruiting players who didn't end up at Gonzaga.

My anecdotal observations are that most of those players have not played very well and based on watching them, Gonzaga isn't missing much or in some cases dodged a bullet. A few that come to mind:

Freshman big Kamaka Hepa from Alaska/Portland - sits on the bench in Texas with a few unproductive minutes.

Center/forward transfer Chase Jeter - went to UoA and doesn't look half as good as our 3 main bigs.

The only much discussed recruit that I think would have been a good "get" was Williams at Arizona, but that's primarily for next season. This season it's defense that we need, not more O.

I guess my overall takeaway is that many recruiting or transfer "misses" are overblown and assume a much higher level of production than pans out. Amazing job to the coaches and staff on recruiting the squad we have!
    Oh last year. The guard who played with Petrol at Montverde. Went to FLA

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Oh last year. The guard who played with Petrol at Montverde. Went to FLA
    Andrew Nembhard, yeah he would've been perfect for us, instead he'll play in the NIT with Florida. Also, the obvious answer to the op is Brandon Williams who is having a very good freshman year for Zona.

Is it arrogance or reality that I look at that list of players and think; "They missed a shot at great development here" - purely out of faith that IF a player can be developed, no one is better than our combined staff.

I don't think even Few would claim to be greatest X/O guy. But in terms of program management, getting everyone together to all buy-in, and getting most out of dozens and dozens of staff, I doubt anyone's better.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Andrew Nembhard, yeah he would've been perfect for us, instead he'll play in the NIT with Florida. Also, the obvious answer to the op is Brandon Williams who is having a very good freshman year for Zona.
    Maybe. Josh is having a better year, IMO. Kid's a talent though....

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Is it arrogance or reality that I look at that list of players and think; "They missed a shot at great development here" - purely out of faith that IF a player can be developed, no one is better than our combined staff.

I don't think even Few would claim to be greatest X/O guy. But in terms of program management, getting everyone together to all buy-in, and getting most out of dozens and dozens of staff, I doubt anyone's better.
    That's prob way down the list of kids who didn't come, if on the list at all. Many just feel they are all that already, witness Brandon and Hepa.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post

No, you're right . Fit is always a huge deal here. We chose wisely and develop the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post

Uh.....what? McClung has been phenomenal, 3rd on the team in scoring and broke Iversons freshman single game scoring record at Georgetown when he dropped 38 on UALR and just scored 24 vs Marquette the other night. He's lived up to the hype and then some. Only thing is, he's a 6'1 sg.

Maybe. Josh is having a better year, IMO. Kid's a talent though....
    Oh yes, I agree. But both AN and BW would've been perfect understudies for Perks.

Brandon. We'd be a final four lock with him. Geno's defense is starting to show its value though. Loved the line-up with him and Perkins in together, reminded me of Stockton/Pangos, and having two floor generals in at one time.

Joe Harris
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

LUKE

Matisse Thybulle.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    LUKE
    Ditto... to him and Farmar...

Go!! Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Joe Harris
    Isn't he different than the others though? We never officially offered him despite us being his dream school, isn't that correct? Supposedly he would've accepted on the spot but Tony Bennett knew of him from his time at Wazzu and snatched him up and brought to Virginia.

I was specifically thinking in regards to players who would have played or been on the team (RS year) this season.

In that regard, it seems like Brandon Williams and Andrew Nembhard are the two players who really would have been good in a GU uniform, though I have a suspicion that both wanted to be a guaranteed starter and play where they would be a major focus of the offense during their first year. At some point GU could have literally checked all the other boxes desired by those guys, but if the coaches didn't want to make a freshman PG into a focus of (what is now) the nation's #1 offense, the match just couldn't happen. Since it was a given that JP was going to run the point this year, perhaps having a backup PG who is the better defender (Crandall) isn't a major dropoff all things considered.

In 2 years at Duke Jeter averaged about 2 points and 2 rebounds per game. So far at Arizona this year he's averaging 13.4 points and 7.4 rebounds, shooting over 64% from the field. If you want to criticize lack of development, set your sites on K not Miller. He's doing fine. Could be he wouldn't even be getting minutes if he had chosen GU. With Tillie finally back he'd be fighting Petrusev for the last big in the rotation.

That hurts.

Crandall >>>> Cremo.

Williams would have been a good player but I’m really happy with the way that Geno is playing for Gonzaga since his return from injury.

Also, agree with Seacatfan about Jeter. He’s looking better as the season goes on.

I really felt that if Gonzaga had offered, he might have accepted. Otherwise LeBron James has had an OK career.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Isn't he different than the others though? We never officially offered him despite us being his dream school, isn't that correct? Supposedly he would've accepted on the spot but Tony Bennett knew of him from his time at Wazzu and snatched him up and brought to Virginia.
    Please read the zillions of past threads on Harris- especially the one with his Dad's comment. The Zags whiffed on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased View Post
    Please read the zillions of past threads on Harris- especially the one with his Dad's comment. The Zags whiffed on him.
    "whiffed on him" means they didn't offer. Unless it means something different to you.

I see your Jordan Farmar, and I raise you a Stephen Curry.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Bob Kong! Wait, that’s the answer to a different question....