• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheBigDawg
    Redshirt
    • Jan 2019

Imagine

Have you seen Melo Ball lately? Unbelievable talent!

Wonder what the coaching staff thinks about him?

Despite the prognosis being that he will not qualify as a student-athlete because of his stint in Lithuania and being the face of the family company, a lot of Zag recruits played for pro clubs growing up in Europe.

Mathis Moerninghoff played for a club with a pro team before being recruited. Elias & Domas did, too; I bet Ronny did the same while in France as a teenager. They do not have high school teams in Europe. It is all about club teams. The top 1 or 2 teams of any modest to bigger city club, whether Division 1, 2, or 3 will usually be completely pro or consist of some pro players.

What is the young fellow's crime? He was not being paid apparently. Yes, when it comes to his dad, there may be some opposition. But the dad only wants the best for his sons and family.

If we got someone like Melo Ball, with his confidence and innate skills that cannot be taught, it would be arguably the most exciting time in Zagland since 05/06.

My breakdown of him is that his passing/dribbling are off the charts. Unbelievable body control. Still growing into body but seems a legit 6'6". Underrated athlete, he gets a lot of dunks. Defense will be solid in team system and he has great hands and knack for getting into passing lanes. Shot is solid.

He is so good that he doesn't even seem to try hard.

What do you think?
  • Birddog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

JMO but he has more baggage than a Skycap.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• Irish_eliZAG
      Kennel Club Alum
      • Aug 2018

No, thank you
      Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Comment

• IowaSERE
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Oct 2008

Nice 1st post Mr Ball.

Comment

• strikenowhere
          Zag for Life
          • Sep 2009

Why the hell would you ever, ever, ever want to deal with that headache of a family?

Comment

• adoptedzag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TheBigDawg View Post
            Have you seen Melo Ball lately? Unbelievable talent!

Wonder what the coaching staff thinks about him?

Despite the prognosis being that he will not qualify as a student-athlete because of his stint in Lithuania and being the face of the family company, a lot of Zag recruits played for pro clubs growing up in Europe.

Mathis Moerninghoff played for a club with a pro team before being recruited. Elias & Domas did, too; I bet Ronny did the same while in France as a teenager. They do not have high school teams in Europe. It is all about club teams. The top 1 or 2 teams of any modest to bigger city club, whether Division 1, 2, or 3 will usually be completely pro or consist of some pro players.

What is the young fellow's crime? He was not being paid apparently. Yes, when it comes to his dad, there may be some opposition. But the dad only wants the best for his sons and family.

If we got someone like Melo Ball, with his confidence and innate skills that cannot be taught, it would be arguably the most exciting time in Zagland since 05/06.

My breakdown of him is that his passing/dribbling are off the charts. Unbelievable body control. Still growing into body but seems a legit 6'6". Underrated athlete, he gets a lot of dunks. Defense will be solid in team system and he has great hands and knack for getting into passing lanes. Shot is solid.

He is so good that he doesn't even seem to try hard.

What do you think?
            Hard pass.

Comment

• 77Zag
              Zag for Life
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by IowaSERE View Post
              Nice 1st post Mr Ball.
              “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                • Feb 2007

The hardest of hard passes possible.
                You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• gueastcoast
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

LaVar Ball is to Few as oil is to water
                  Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Comment

• LTownZag
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2017

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Comment

• TheBigDawg
                        Redshirt
                        • Jan 2019

Harsh

Wow, I cannot be the only one open to this idea.

Lavar is a nuisance--yes--but he is calming down. Few and Lavar are not all that different. They are both great family men who deeply care about the sport. Obviously they show it in different ways.

Lamelo on his own accord seems like a great kid. You should never base recruiting decisions on a family member. If we do that, it becomes a slippery slope. Let's not forget that both Meech's dad and also a certain former Portland area walk-on's dad had a very colorful past. Lavar may be a loud mouth but he is not an embezzler (unless you consider charging $495 for a pair of sneakers embezzlement).

Lamelo--if you take away the media circus--is a top 5 recruit; a lottery pick. It really confounds my mental clarity why anyone would be opposed to bringing in such a fun to watch, super talented player. He may be the smoothest point guard we ever had.

Oh and I did see a clip of him scoring on Pangos with ease several months ago. This was from last season when Melo was 15 or 16 and both were playing in the same country. The reason I mention this is because I think he will be better than Pangos. More consistent than Santangelo, much better size than Dickau.

Yet, all of you say no. Don't forget before the harsh, one sided commentary continues, Lamelo is only 17. Most reasonable people would at least give a young kid like that a chance to prove himself before passing judgment.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by IowaSERE View Post
                          Nice 1st post Mr Ball.
                          Exactly. Best of luck to the lad but not in Zags best interest to bring Big Baller Brand to Spokane.
                          Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• Bogozags
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by TheBigDawg View Post
                            Wow, I cannot be the only one open to this idea.

Lavar is a nuisance--yes--but he is calming down. Few and Lavar are not all that different. They are both great family men who deeply care about the sport. Obviously they show it in different ways.

Lamelo on his own accord seems like a great kid. You should never base recruiting decisions on a family member. If we do that, it becomes a slippery slope. Let's not forget that both Meech's dad and also a certain former Portland area walk-on's dad had a very colorful past. Lavar may be a loud mouth but he is not an embezzler (unless you consider charging $495 for a pair of sneakers embezzlement).

Lamelo--if you take away the media circus--is a top 5 recruit; a lottery pick. It really confounds my mental clarity why anyone would be opposed to bringing in such a fun to watch, super talented player. He may be the smoothest point guard we ever had.

Oh and I did see a clip of him scoring on Pangos with ease several months ago. This was from last season when Melo was 15 or 16 and both were playing in the same country. The reason I mention this is because I think he will be better than Pangos. More consistent than Santangelo, much better size than Dickau.

Yet, all of you say no. Don't forget before the harsh, one sided commentary continues, Lamelo is only 17. Most reasonable people would at least give a young kid like that a chance to prove himself before passing judgment.
                            This isn't about the young man but rather the baggage, intentional or not, that "he" brings with him...

His father is toxic and GU doesn't need anything that disrupts its family atmosphere, which has made it so successful...

I really can't imagine any coach wanting to deal with that family regardless of the talent...

Comment

• coolhandzag
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Feb 2007

I'm not sure how you did it BigDawg, but you evenhandedly forced me to close the office this afternoon to go Mountain Biking. Post more often, please. Double Black / Double Down is calling.

Comment

Working...
                              X