Thread: just a little perspective on our offense...

Default just a little perspective on our offense...

kenpom currently has us with an adjusted offensive efficiency rating of 124.5. this controls for opponents and pace and effectively is the best existing answer to the question: "if this team played 100 offensive possessions against the average defense, how many points would they score?"

there are a couple of interesting things here:
    1) this is tied with '15 duke (okafor, winslow, jones... yeah, we all remember them) as the 6th best rating -- for any team/season -- since '02 (which is as far back as kenpom goes)
    2) if you consider gonzaga's offense since '02 to be a spectrum, with this team at one end and the lowest rated version ('11 at 112.1 -- the meech / marquise carter year) at the other, the '17 NC runner up team basically sits in the middle (118.1). so, yes, according to the numbers THIS team is as much better *offensively* than NWG's iteration as THAT team was better than meech's. '17's defense was exceptional, however, ending up 16th overall since kenpom started keeping track, including this season...
    3) 6 teams have ended with ratings of 125.0 or higher, the first being 2011 ohio state with craft/sullinger, etc
    4) there were only two teams with rankings of 123 or higher from '02 - '11: '04 wake forest (chris paul) and '09 unc (hansbrough, lawson, ellington -- another bad memory).

moreover, i think this number has the potential to continue to go up, as tillie and crandall settle in and the defense/rebounding improves (which obviously needs to happen).

enjoy it folks, we don't get to see offensive basketball like this very often.
    Last edited by soccerdud; 01-13-2019 at 03:14 PM.

- thanks for the history, really adds perspective.
    - I will do as you suggest, really try to savor this season, no matter the final outcome.

I agree about enjoying the journey of each GU team. I have been a ZAG since high school (59 - 63) and have to say that most of the years has been fun to follow. In 64-67 we used to have players like Sutter, Leach, Larry Brown, and Brodski. We lost a lot and won our share, but I have to say they were hustling in every game. Lately each year, people think we will be undefeated and when we lose 2 to 4 games, it is a terrible season. But that is not true. It just means that Few has to get down and work to make them better. This year is going to be fun to follow, and next year I think is going to be an experience in how Few, takes 6 new players and merges them with Zach (hopefully), Kispert, Fillip, Ayayi and Foster. They will be young and have growing pains, but hopefully by the end of the year they will be like many of our previous zag teams.

Soccerdud, thx for the trip down memory lane with your mentions of top ranked offenses in prior years, both for GU and nationally. I know it can take some time pulling that kind of data together. Appreciated!
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    Lately each year, people think we will be undefeated and when we lose 2 to 4 games, it is a terrible season. .
    To be somewhat fair, it's really only one or two people that every year talk about "undefeated." And anyone "disappointed" with a 2-4 loss year are pretty "out there" expectation-wise. Sometimes it's just "regret" about which particular games lost, more so than terrible season.

Great post, though.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Dixie. Thanks you are correct

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    To be somewhat fair, it's really only one or two people that every year talk about "undefeated." And anyone "disappointed" with a 2-4 loss year are pretty "out there" expectation-wise. Sometimes it's just "regret" about which particular games lost, more so than terrible season.

Great post, though.

PERSPECTIVE! Since 2000, NCAA basketball champions have AVERAGED just over 5 losses a season. High, Connecticut with 9. Low, Kentucky with 2. Bottom line, who’s best last finishes first. Pretty simple, really.
    Last edited by MontanaCoyote; 01-14-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Zags have scored less than 89 points in only 4 of 18 games so far. Remarkable.

Great post soccerdud, thanks!
    Every year Mark Few loses guys that you never heard of before they became a Zag and replaces them with guys you never heard of before they became a Zag. Jimmy Dykes-Maui Classic 2009