Thread: Clarke Free Throw Improvement Analysis

Default Clarke Free Throw Improvement Analysis

Clarke entered the season a 55% Free Throw shooter over two years with a pretty ugly looking shot from the line. His first 7 games here he shot 43%. That is especially costly considering the amount of contact and trips to the line he'd expect, and how we want to play him late in tight games, but can't justify someone missing half their FTs. He's 2nd on the team in free throw attempts, despite being 5th in minutes played.

I'm not sure which of the coaches most worked with him on his jump shot and free throw shot during his redshirt year and during the first part of this year, but he has massively improved and I'd love to see the newspaper do a story on his training and technique plan over the past 18 months. I've heard Morrison (self-admittedly) nitpick Clarke's FT mechanics (or maybe it was the single pre-shot dribble on his FTs?) as an area for improvement, but to me seeing how much Clarke has consciously changed and improved in this category speaks volumes to the work of the coaches and also to the work and focus of the player to pick apart and rebuild much of his own game, a game he'd been playing for years and years before coming to Gonzaga.

In BC's last 11 games, he has shot 71% from the line on 63 attempts.

In the five tightest and most critical games since Maui (@Creighton, @UNC, TENN, UW, @USF) he's shooting 77% (27/35) from the line. That's hard work paying off in team wins.

He’s picked it up quite a bit. One more thing added to his armamentarium assuring a presence n the NBA next season. I love his game and his steady improvement. And as much as I hate the thought. Likely we won’t have him roaming the rafters swatting shots next year. This kid has turned into a huge presence for us this year. Ruis got the story deservedly so but Clarke’s got the way more exciting game. He can guard 4 positions, shoots well and obviously can get off his feet better than most pros. His only shortcoming is from 10-14 ft out. Love the kid and and as we progress the next 2 months or so, I just don’t see how he’s not getting huge attention. Then again we’re not on the east coast and we’re not named Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    He’s picked it up quite a bit. One more thing added to his armamentarium assuring a presence n the NBA next season. I love his game and his steady improvement. And as much as I hate the thought. Likely we won’t have him roaming the rafters swatting shots next year. This kid has turned into a huge presence for us this year. Ruis got the story deservedly so but Clarke’s got the way more exciting game. He can guard 4 positions, shoots well and obviously can get off his feet better than most pros. His only shortcoming is from 10-14 ft out. Love the kid and and as we progress the next 2 months or so, I just don’t see how he’s not getting huge attention. Then again we’re not on the east coast and we’re not named Duke.
    Through the course of this season I think he's definitely the better player than Rui and does more overall for creating wins. His 18'-19' year at GU will be one of the best seasons ever for a bulldog, considering his impact and results on O and D and how stacked this team is, make individual stats hard to pad. It seems like there's a legitimate case that he's on pace for the greatest defensive season in the history of the university, while also scoring 24pts per 40mins and shooting 70% from 2pt land.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Through the course of this season I think he's definitely the better player than Rui and does more overall for creating wins. His 18'-19' year at GU will be one of the best seasons ever for a bulldog, considering his impact and results on O and D and how stacked this team is, make individual stats hard to pad. It seems like there's a legitimate case that he's on pace for the greatest defensive season in the history of the university, while also scoring 24pts per 40mins and shooting 70% from 2pt land.
    100%
    OK...LETS DO IT!..

With Clarke transfering from a team that struggled to win and sitting out a year I believe he's hungry to win. Rui has progressed, building his game while enjoying the emotions of being on a dominate winning program. Brandon is not going to let this season pass without doing everything possible to get the most out of his game. We are so fortunate to have both players this season. One player benefitting from the others game. This is only going to get better as the season passes and the team chemistry builds.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk