Thread: BYU 3 PRONGED ATTACK

Default BYU 3 PRONGED ATTACK

BYU HAS ONLY 3 IMPACT PLAYERS. Their last game against St. Marys this is what their 3 impact players did.

#13 Johnson was 9-13 FG, 4-6 3 pointers, scored a total of 25 points. 36 minutes played

#2 Gonzales was 8-18 FG, 2-6 3 pointers, scored a total of 20 points. 34 minutes played

#1 Chase was 4-11 FG, 4-9 3 pointers, scored 12 points. 36 minutes played

Their two most dangerous players are #13 Johnson, and #2 Gonzales.

BYU does not have depth. Keys to beat them: 1. Play tight defense on their 3 impact players. 2. Get their 3 impact players tired with our depth. 3. Get some of their impact players in foul trouble. 4. Their 3 impact players play a lot of minutes, keep a fresh pair of legs on them. 5. Out hustle them they won't be able to keep up.

St. Mary's out rebounded them 36-33. Everybody needs to pitch in for rebounds just like last game. We really should be able to out rebound them.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 01-12-2019 at 08:49 PM.

I see you listed the only three players that score in double digits. Nobody else on the BYU team averages over 5.8 ppg but of course they never get in. Looking at today's stats mean nothing, so you have to look either at seasonal stats or certainly conference stats to get any kind of value out of the stats. For example, Zee scored 28 points on 11-13 for 84.6% today, is that what she shoots for every game? One game stats mean nothing.

Where you see three dominate players, I see three players who will be pooped out come halfway through the 4th quarter. Looking at their WCC stats, BYU falls off dramatically in the 4th quarter (tired) just like they did today and almost lost the game. BYU scored 9 points in the 4th quarter today. They had a 13 point lead in the 4th quarter and had to hold on to win by 1.

You might want to think about the other side of the ball. Particularly since we have been getting the majority of our points in the paint the last several weeks and Thursday we have to face Sara Hamson. Sara Hamson is not much offensively, but she is the NATIONAL!!! leader in blocked shots. Do think ZEE or the Wirth twins are going to be able to take it inside like they did against Portland against Hamson? Do you think they are going to get the opportunity for 2 and 3 tries under the basket? If they want to continue to score in the paint, they are going to have to get Hamson out to the free throw line where she cannot provide secondary help inside.

The biggest impediment to a Zag victory may not be any of the three girls you listed, butSara Hamson inside. If the Lady Zags can't shoot from outside on Thursday and have to take it inside to score, they are going to have to deal with all of 6'7" Hamson.

ZagDad

I was giving one of my friends a hard time prior to the game because they had no red to wear, I said they should buy some red pants. My friends and I got had huge kick that CLF wore red pants for the game. And CLF looked sharp in those red pants, way to go coach, thats setting the bar high for wearing the right color to the game (LOL). CLF looking fit as a fiddle I might add with 3 kids you go coach.

I believe we can work around 6'7" Sara Hamson even if she plays 20 minutes, thats a lot of time she is not on the court. According to her stats the only thing she does is make blocks, alter some shots if close enough to her also. On the other end she is big, slow and gets winded easily. Pass the ball around she can't keep up. Short jumpers still find the mark. Just having the size does not make a great player. In her case as in some tall players she battles injuries etc.. I believe she will not be much of a factor in the game we play BYU. Yes I'm sure she will still get her status quo of blocks. Other teams have contained Hamson no problem so I am sure CLF team will also. Hamson is averaging 2.8 points and 4.9 rebounds per game nothing to be scared of there. She has 23 blocks for the year. Oh yes and we will really be able to take advantage inside when Hamson is on the bench.

Of note Zykera Rice and Melody Kempton both have 16 blocks this season. Jenn & LeeAnne Wirth, & Chandler Smith all have 9 blocks this season.

I am very impressed by #2 Gonzales and #13 Johnson but am sure CLF will put up a good game plan to contain them. Yes we will be on BYU home court, but with our calm demeanor am quite confident we will chalk up another win.

Go Gett'em Lady Zags.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 01-13-2019 at 03:55 PM.

A well thought out and thorough response.

Well done ZAB,

ZagDad

ZAB......my brief impression of Hamson is that she is much more athletic than her sister......

however, she's the body type of Powell at UNLV....and we handled her.......

look our team is our team.....they complete each other......they will find a way....they've played bigs at ND and Stanford and St Mary's....

play Zag ball, do better at the FT's and get the turnovers.....

BYU has 16 players but if we could get one or two of their starters in foul trouble, we'll be okay...

don't know if they've replaced their flopper from last year, probably have since they teach that as an elective at BYU, but you never know....

don't know if they've replaced their flopper from last year, probably have since they teach that as an elective at BYU, but you never know....
    Come 'On Sylean, you got to know by now that every member of the BYU basketball team (Mbb & Wbb) are required to take flopping 101 as part of their standard curriculum.

Senior floppers graduate and new floppers are brought in. If you want to play at BYU you must have the ability and propensity to flop.

ZagDad

On paper, this looks to be the toughest WCC road game all season.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Player of the week this week is #13 Johnson BYU. She averaged 24.5 points in two games this week. 24 against Pacific and 25 against St. Mary's.

Of note she averaged 37 minutes played in those two games.

I listened to the CLF radio talk show....Coach says that BYU has high scoring guards but after the top 3, the scoring falls off dramatically. they have lots of bigs, and usually have one big post matched up with one athletic more skilled post....they get rebounds and blocks and create space for the guards to do their dirty work.....the guards play a lot of minutes.....I don't know how deep BYU's bench goes but they have lots of players...16 I think....it was mentioned that perhaps our team could wear them down....but I think we have to realize that they play at a higher elevation which we do not...so I hope we don't get worn down.......

Byu is a huge arena and the women don't get a ton of fans but the fans that do go are loud....they sit right behind our team and hassle CLF all the time....Lisa said that Mac will be there to support them.....

one of the guards played against the Twin Towers in Chandler and CLF actually recruited her....

CLF said that she is excited about the game.....

Good breakdown from the radio show thanks Sylean.

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post

LOL sylean! As a life long BYU opponent (grew up in a Utes household) I couldn’t agree more to the flopping sentiment. And that’s from a household where we regularly touted the “[John] Stockton school of flop.”

Thanks for the radio talk show summary, Sylean.

I still prefer to have 5-6 people to play the 3 guard positions than the 3 BYU players who have to play 37-40 minutes, no matter the elevation. You can always frequently sub, like separate hockey lines, but when you are the only scoring option, you can't come out of the game and you have to be on. I like our position a lot better.

BYU is averaging 792 fans in an 18,000 seat arena for their 7 home games. Personally, I think the ladies like a loud boisterous crowd much better than a silent arena. You can feed off the crowd enthusiasm (if it is good or bad) but with the crowd sitting on their hands, you have to self generate the energy. The louder the crowd the better I think the ladies would say.

We have three of the fastest, tallest and best guards in the WCC starting with the likes of JL, JT and LF coming off the bench. BYU has not seen a group of three guards with the skills and speed of the Lady Zags. BYU has faced One guard, maybe two guards, that are as skilled as they are at the same time but not at all three positions at the same time with equal replacements backing them up. There is a reason, Gonzaga has the best defense in the league and BYU has not faced it yet.

My biggest concern is the guards dropping off their coverage duty to help inside the key, which is done very frequently. You simply cannot leave the three BYU guards open or they will shoot you to death. If the BYU bigs are the leading scorers, GU wins easily. Don't leave your opponent open by sagging into the key. Make the BYU bigs beat you.

ZagDad

Women Zags on front upper sports page of Spokesman Review today. How about that!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    Women Zags on front upper sports page of Spokesman Review today. How about that!!!!!
    Must be a slow day in sports yesterday.

ZagDad

Yearwood of Santa Clara 6"4" has 41 blocks on the season, average 2.6 per game, and she is tied for 12th in the nation.

Sara Hamson of BYU did not even make the top 48 in blocked shots in the NCAA this year, was not even close.

For some reason some Zag fans or over hyping Sara Hamson just because of her height.

Yearwood of Santa Clara 6"4" has 41 blocks on the season, average 2.6 per game, and she is tied for 12th in the nation.

Sara Hamson of BYU did not even make the top 48 in blocked shots in the NCAA this year, was not even close.

For some reason some Zag fans or over hyping Sara Hamson just because of her height.
    Who on the BYU team has the capability of taking the Lady Zags out of their offensive game plan?

It certainly is not 3 guards, none of whom are over 5'10". Can they score, sure and we will see how much when they play against our defense. Can they take us out of our inside out game, no chance. The two (2) BYU players who, because of their physical presence and size, can (not that they will, but can) significantly impact our offense is Hamson (6'7") and Shalae Salmon (6'3"). They do not need to block shots to impact our offense. Just trying to shoot over 6'7" or drive through a stout 6'3" (think Megan McKay) Salmon forward will impact our offense. How much, we will see on Thursday.

Just looking at stats can give you a very miss leading idea on how the game will play out. Remember the hubbabaloo about 3 point shooting by Portland only to see Portland make all of (4) 3pt shots. Our defense took Portland out of what they wanted to do (for the most part). What is going to determine who wins this game is who can take the other team out of their game plan best, who has the fewest turnovers and who makes the most of the turnovers by the other team.

Only 24 hours till game time,

Go Zags,

ZagDad

Thought you might want to claim ownership of your statement ZD that Sara Hamson was the National leader in block shots. Would you care to clarify that statement ZD?

Thought you might want to claim ownership of your statement ZD that Sara Hamson was the National leader in block shots. Would you care to clarify that statement ZD?
    You are correct. Sara Hamson finished last year ranked #2 in the Nation in Blocked Shots per game. She started this year in the top 5 in blocked shots early in the season.

Obviously, she has dropped off significantly this year whether due to injury or lack of playing time or some other reason. She is currently tied for 87th nationally, but is only 4 blocks out of the top 50.

ZagDad

Zag Fans United lets go make a statement and beat BYU on their home court. Lets not just beat them lets crush them by 20.

Can you say Defense and Run Run Run....

With the minutes that BYU’s starting 5 put in, empty the tank.
    I had a chance to watch the Portland game... defense was not our best. The team will need to put in the same type of game they played against Stanford... and do it on the road.
    The BYU - SMC game had a total of 24 fouls called.... that’s right 24. That’s the same number that was called on GU alone against Portland.
    One thing that I thought BYU has always done well is set and use their screens... our players will need to work together on cover.
    The articles on the team have talked about attitude and confidence... remind them of the Stanford game and how good they can be. This is at the level of the WCC tournament. Might as well start right now!

Go get them Zags!!

I had a chance to watch the Portland game... defense was not our best.

ZagDad

From today's Spokesman-Review article on the GU-BYU Wbb.

Sophomore post Sara Hamson, who stands 6-foot-7, is the active Division I blocks leader.
    You might give Jim Allen at the Spokesman-Review a call and straighten him out on his information.

ZagDad