Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Pacific Postgame Thoughts & Anaysis

Default GU vs Pacific Postgame Thoughts & Anaysis

My favorite take aways from this game:
    - Shot distribution and sharing. Nobody took more than 8 shots. Only 12 assists on 25 made baskets but this team very clearly likes playing together and is all about WE not me.
    - Defensive focus and intensity.
    - Crandall just exudes confidence, joy and passion. So clear he is integrated into and has embraced the Zag family culture. His scoring will come; D is already arrived.
    - Rui and Clarke are total studs by any measure.
    - Glad to see Jones still in the top 8 rotation.
    - Crandall, Perkins, Norvell playing together is nice. Perks gets to be spot up shooter at times w this lineup and talk about surrounding your bigs w shooters! I expect we will see Crandall explode from 3 range in a game soon.

Cautionary notes?
    - Kispert’s confidence. 0-5 from 3 and couldn’t help but notice in 1st half when Crandall went to scorers table to sub in and CK promptly completely air balled a baseline 3. Not necessarily related but that’s where my mind went.
    - It will be at least 3-4 weeks before Tillie starts playing anywhere near the level he was at last season.
    - Hope Petrusev stays engaged and positive despite now being 9th man getting less pt.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

I would love to have seen the Zags trap that dribble weave that Pacific was doing above the 3 point line. Crandall was playing the middle and just tracking guys back and forth, for them most part. A few times, though, he jumped out on some guys as they got the hand of in the corner at the top of the three point line, which slowed his dribble. All that would need to happen after that is for the wing defender to read that, step up, and take away the sideline path.

The Zags looked rough on offense, but some of that was all of the ticky-tack offensive fouls for turnovers.

Zags' D looked good, and Pacific's handling of the pressure equally bad.

Norvell looked bored. I think he really likes to play the tougher competition.

Tillie is still a little rough, but he'll get there.

Love to see Petrusev step it up enough in practice to force more playing time. The kid is a banger that can shoot free throws.

Couldn’t agree more with Kispert and confidence statement.
    OK...LETS DO IT!..

Kispert and Tillie combining for 0 of 8 3PT shooting ...... that's not helping my score predictions!

When it comes to D though ..... I'm a happy camper. I also liked some of the offensive set changes and seeing Josh looking for and finding the hoop more. 3PT shooting % will get better. As D keeps improving and both Killian and Geno get comfy - bet we see triple digit scoring become common again. Few's a great coach and GU's lineup is awesome. Won't be too long and we'll see a well oiled and purring Zag machine cutting through the WCC - with gusto.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

We looked sloppy last night. Tillie very tentative understandably. Careless with the ball in first half. Level of play just lacking. Kind of a stinker to my eye for this team even though we win easily.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Perkins is still the best shooter on the team (46%, 40%)
    Norvell is still a chucker (43%, 37%)
    Crandall was totally engaged, can't say same for others
    Kispert is literally and figuratively a 5th wheel (42%, 37%)
    Tillie looks like a BB player.
    Petrol getting shunned
    Pacific is a sham
    Love the 3 guard lineup of JP, Geno, Norvell

Few was making a defensive statement last night. Zags pressed almost the entire game even when they were up by 30+. I can take a stinker on the O side if that is the D they are going to play.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Few was making a defensive statement last night. Zags pressed almost the entire game even when they were up by 30+. I can take a stinker on the O side if that is the D they are going to play.
    I think that is going to be the response to any team that tries to slow the game down.

Only allowing 36 points on 26% shooting... is one heck of a performance. A+ game from my eyes. We jumped a zillion spots on the Kenpom def ratings on just that performance.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagzKrak View Post
    I think that is going to be the response to any team that tries to slow the game down.
    maybe vs. USF we see the press like it was used vs. Pacific, maybe not. Zags adjusted and pressured more and more as the game wore on with Pacific after it became clear Damon was implementing the Wimp Sanderson vs. LMU delay game and Pacific was not interested in even trying to punish the pressure. First Few pressed after Zag makes, then it was whenever Pacific inbounded in the backcourt, for whatever reason.

Does Few go with it again with the USF matchup? Maybe at times, to see if it works, but I do not expect USF to milk the clock down to 10 before initiating offense, so pressing would be for different reasons, perhaps affecting effectiveness. we'll see. Still, the 1/2 court D was impressive as well

I'm interested to see how USF works the matchups to get Ferrari loose, and how the Zags counter that. I expect USF to try to get him 1v1 vs. CK and Tillie through screens and the Zags anticpated switching. we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post
    Only allowing 36 points on 26% shooting... is one heck of a performance. A+ game from my eyes. We jumped a zillion spots on the Kenpom def ratings on just that performance.
    12 FGs allowed vs. 22 takeaways...that is a WOW stat comparison of dominance, even against Pacific. Shows how dialed in the Zags were from soup to nuts in that game

Quote Originally Posted by ZagzKrak View Post
    Pacific avoided that trap, but that was offset by all those shot clock violations. Even when they were down by 20, they stuck with the game plan.

Jones - senior leader with the T and the message... "We're not going to stand for your thug ball."
    Tille - rusty, rusty, rusty...
    Crandell - can tell he didn't hurt one of his legs
    Gallinat - thug. "What?!?!? Who me?"
    Clarke - block, block, block...
    Kispert - miss, miss, miss...
    Perkins - dish

Caron Butler - love when he announces Zag games. He obviously likes them a lot.

Thank god for the 30 second shot clock...

I was pleasantly surprised that Pacific actually played a pretty clean game (by their standards) - not the usual hack-a-Zag job on every play that we've been accustomed to seeing in the past. They may not have the same talent, but their style of defense is along the lines of the type that the Zags have struggled against this year. Hopefully, we'll see some other teams in the conference games play defense to help get the team more tournament-ready.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

GU held Pacific to the lowest point total (36) of an opponent since GU beat USD in the 10/11 season 68/31. Interestingly, USD also had the next two lowest point totals meaning they hold 3 of the top 4 lowest outputs vs GU at least since the 10/11 season. I didn't go back further.
    Last edited by Birddog; 01-11-2019 at 09:38 AM.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

good practice...smc probably same slow down strategy with their lack of firepower this year...long possessions and shotclocks running down. usd plays similar style of physical defense as pacific.

What the hell was Stoudamire thinking? That had to be one of the least entertaining games I've ever watched the Zags play.

I get he was trying to limit possessions to slow Gonzaga's offense down. But, wasting twenty seconds of the shot clock before attempting to find a shot is the worst way to go about it. That stupid weave he employed didn't put any pressure on the defense. Several times Perkins or Crandall just kept switching above the top of the key and never had to move their feet. The other set Pacific used was a 1-4 with the four spread across the baseline while the one dribbled literally for twenty seconds before one of the four came up top to set a pick. What resulted was several shot clock violations and multiple contested shots that had no chance or were swatted into next week. They literally scored half of their season average.

Here's the thing. If I were a Pacific fan, I would be wondering if Damon miscalculated on a number of levels in this game. It's a given that Pacific had little chance to win last night. But, even if the Tigers had played their regular game and ended up losing 106-65 it would have been a net positive over losing by thirty in a sleep walk. The game was on national television. Stoudamire essentially conceded the game thinking he might be able to hold the final margin under twenty. No fun for the current players. Not a good commercial for potential recruits. Why not go playground a little bit and make it enjoyable for the kids he has and the ones that might be interested in playing for him in the future. A couple of highlights would have gone a long ways towards presenting a better front. Especially after falling behind by twenty. I was screaming for his players to just do something that would be considered an aggressive attempt at scoring.

Damon starts at a disadvantage being in Stockton. Unless he plays a free wheeling style that kids enjoy his chances of landing players that can compete at a high level are severely diminished. And any fans that they have now will become disinterested very quickly. C'mom Damon!! Let the kids play.

It's hard to tell if it's GU's defense or Pacific's offensive ineptitude. Zags need to score more than in the 60s, regardless of opposition's style.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

When the NBA and NCAA have (finally) changed the rules to move away from that slow-it-down type of play to increase pace, possessions, excitement, and scoring, Stoudamire has gone back to it. The game was a real snooozer thanks to that pathetic offensive strategy. He should be embarrassed bringing that game plan for the world to see on ESPN. Hard to maintain focus against that mess, but I think the press helped do that. Good practice for GU, but the slow pace took its toll on our pace and made it really hard to get any momentum, especially absent the Kennel Club. Hard to watch that slow motion grind. Wish I'd stayed home from the game and watched on TV. But it was a good practice session that got Tillie some more reps. Yawn and forget. Saturday will be a very different game.

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    especially absent the Kennel Club.

Now that you mention it, I wonder what kind of creative chants the KC could have come up with "on the fly?"
    This ain't rocket surgery!

Carom Butler Checklist:

• Calls Norvell "A shot maker not a shot taker"
    • References running into a painful screen set by John Stockton
    • Says "Day in and Day Out" 5+ times
    • Uses the phrase "Making Money moves"

Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Carom Butler Checklist:

• Calls Norvell "A shot maker not a shot taker"
    • References running into a painful screen set by John Stockton
    • Says "Day in and Day Out" 5+ times
    • Uses the phrase "Making Money moves"

Yup!
    Maybe it's just me. I think he's hilarious. I enjoy the heck out of him.

Much improved on defense. The defenders are using their feet more and relying less on using their hands to compensate for bad positioning (less reaching). You can see the positive results by both good positioning and lower foul accumulation rate of the "bad foul" variety. I'm all seeing a lot more communication.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    What the hell was Stoudamire thinking? That had to be one of the least entertaining games I've ever watched the Zags play.

I get he was trying to limit possessions to slow Gonzaga's offense down. But, wasting twenty seconds of the shot clock before attempting to find a shot is the worst way to go about it. That stupid weave he employed didn't put any pressure on the defense. Several times Perkins or Crandall just kept switching above the top of the key and never had to move their feet. The other set Pacific used was a 1-4 with the four spread across the baseline while the one dribbled literally for twenty seconds before one of the four came up top to set a pick. What resulted was several shot clock violations and multiple contested shots that had no chance or were swatted into next week. They literally scored half of their season average.

Here's the thing. If I were a Pacific fan, I would be wondering if Damon miscalculated on a number of levels in this game. It's a given that Pacific had little chance to win last night. But, even if the Tigers had played their regular game and ended up losing 106-65 it would have been a net positive over losing by thirty in a sleep walk. The game was on national television. Stoudamire essentially conceded the game thinking he might be able to hold the final margin under twenty. No fun for the current players. Not a good commercial for potential recruits. Why not go playground a little bit and make it enjoyable for the kids he has and the ones that might be interested in playing for him in the future. A couple of highlights would have gone a long ways towards presenting a better front. Especially after falling behind by twenty. I was screaming for his players to just do something that would be considered an aggressive attempt at scoring.

Damon starts at a disadvantage being in Stockton. Unless he plays a free wheeling style that kids enjoy his chances of landing players that can compete at a high level are severely diminished. And any fans that they have now will become disinterested very quickly. C'mom Damon!! Let the kids play.
    I have to say that this was my reaction as well to the offensive strategy being employed by Pacific. I thought that maybe after the Zags built up a 15-20 point lead that they would abandon it and try to make a competitive push but no. It was a really bad look in my opinion as they really made no attempt to actually try and win this game. You don't continue to kill the clock every possession when you are trying to make a legit comeback. I just don't get it.

The only other thing of significance that stood out to me was when the Pacific player undercut Rui on his break away dunk. He absolutely did this on purpose and he did receive a flagrant for it but I thought it was deserving of an ejection. There was no reaction from him or coach complaining about being assessed a flagrant either and if you watch the replay he tried to do it subtlety and turned his back but continued to stay under Rui even when Rui swung on the rim to give himself somewhere to land. Its not like the pacific player tackled him but it could have ended in a very serious injury if Rui lands wrong. I just cant stand that kind of stuff, especially when it looks like there is intent.