Thread: Rui named to midseason Wooden and Olson Award Lists / Clarke Unfairly Left Out

Default Rui named to midseason Wooden and Olson Award Lists / Clarke Unfairly Left Out

https://gozags.com/news/2019/1/9/men...ason-list.aspx

I think there is a legit argument that Clarke, in fact, deserves to be on these lists more than Rui. For one, Brandon Clarke is the best, most versatile defensive player in D-1 college basketball. A guy who can guard all 5 spots. Rui is a developing defender at best.

These are Brandon's stats as of today:

MPG: 27.5
    PPG: 17.0
    FG %: 68.9%
    BPG: 3.3
    RPG: 8.1

Rui as of today:

MPG: 29.9
    PPG: 21.4
    FG%: 59.5%
    BPG: 1.5
    RPG: 6.4

But Reid Travis over Clarke??? Please. The same can be said for a number of other dudes on those lists. But the key with Brandon is the absolute defensive force he has become within college basketball. That must be recognized.

Sophie’s Choice?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Sophie’s Choice?
    Seeing as how the Sophie I know is 6 1/2, probably not. She lives in Tucson and is into ballet, not basketball.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Congrats to Rui …..as the Most Outstanding Player at Maui...…... he has at least a chance to win over Zion....again...

Apparently Clarke is not eligible for the Olson award because it excludes for some reason all first-year transfers and freshmen

I think there is a mid season refresh on the Gilbert, er, Wooden thing. Maybe then.

The Wooden list is always pretty fluid CDC; am I correct on that? BC could still be a finalist, correct?
    This ain't rocket surgery!

Rui's got all the attention now and has from th preseason to present. He's got a great story which the media loves. He's deserving too but to leave Clarke off is really quite silly. As the season progresses and if he continues his ways ie 18 and 8 (ish) with his spectacular blocks, he'll find his way to thes lists soon enough. If you've been watching, Duke and Zion have the highest interest of the ESPN types. When we beat them (and we really were 10 plus points up most of the game.........it was no fluke...the love for Duke and Zion has mushroomed. Look at the game cast for that game. It's incredible! Those two losses took the attention away from us. We're not exactly playing teams that would fire up the scribes........so b it.
    Meanwhile, if we continue ferocious defense and a bigtime offense, we'll likely be 1 or 2 by seasons end. This sets up a "confrontation". I know some of the teams in front of us will lose. I also think we'll be a no 1 seed. Getting there is the issue. We simply must win games in high, noticeable fashion. It's the "dues" I guess.
    Whatta season.and we're only half done with the regular season. A title is in my mind with Crandall back and with Tillie's possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    The Wooden list is always pretty fluid CDC; am I correct on that? BC could still be a finalist, correct?
    Unless I am mistaken, if you are not on the midseason list, that is it. You're done. The fluidity comes at the beginning of the season. If a player is not on the preseason list, he can make the midseason list.

BTW = congrats to Rui. He is completely deserving of being on both lists, but I really felt Clarke got screwed over for the Wooden Award. But being that the Wooden Award has always been a fraudulent and shaming POY award, I suppose I shouldn't be too upset by Clarke's absence (if The Wooden Award is a true POY award, then anyone who qualifies academically to play D-1 basketball should be eligible to win it. If the Wooden folks want to include an academic element, that's okay, but they should say their award isn't a POY award, but a POY/scholar-athlete award, but they don't. But not doing so, they publicly shame players who don't make their academic standard, whatever that may be. See Carmelo Anthony, who was shamed and made to look like a stupid person even though he was fully academically qualified to play basketball according to the NCAA and Syracuse. He was eligible to be enrolled at Syracuse Univ. His grades were very similar to many of his colleagues at Syracuse Univ.).

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Apparently Clarke is not eligible for the Olson award because it excludes for some reason all first-year transfers and freshmen
    Well that's absolutely bizarre. Apparently it's the award for the best player, except for those other players who've been arbitrarily excluded?
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Postseason awards are bizarre. But the WCC takes the take with their 10 man first team in basketball. Basketball analysts through the country make fun of the league every single season for doing this because it completely diminishes the accomplishment. It comes from the "everyone deserves an award" mentality so that nobody's feelings get hurt.

Most of the media is back East...those guys are either in bed or drunk or both when Gonzaga plays....BUT....it must help to be in the WCC and play in the biggest media markets in the West....except for Seattle.....sigh...

It will matter when Rui or the others are trying to impress their grandchildren.....except of course ….the kids will have no idea who Wooden or Olson were....and would rather go to McDonalds than hear the same old stories again...

It just occurred to me that Rui probably has no idea who Wooden or Olson are...
    Last edited by bartruff1; 01-10-2019 at 07:40 PM.

The only player in more Top NCAA stats is Zion from Duke (if he actually is in more, going off memory). Why Brandon was left off is a head scratcher.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post

I think there is a legit argument that Clarke, in fact, deserves to be on these lists more than Rui. For one, Brandon Clarke is the best, most versatile defensive player in D-1 college basketball. A guy who can guard all 5 spots. Rui is a developing defender at best.

These are Brandon's stats as of today:

MPG: 27.5
    PPG: 17.0
    FG %: 68.9%
    BPG: 3.3
    RPG: 8.1

Rui as of today:

MPG: 29.9
    PPG: 21.4
    FG%: 59.5%
    BPG: 1.5
    RPG: 6.4

But Reid Travis over Clarke??? Please. The same can be said for a number of other dudes on those lists. But the key with Brandon is the absolute defensive force he has become within college basketball. That must be recognized.
    If he needs to score more, I hope he obliges.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote from the ESPN article.....The Wooden Award watch lists are published throughout the season. Players not on the current list are eligible for inclusion in later lists.

Looks like there is still a chance to at least get on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    ...those guys are either in bed or drunk or both when Gonzaga plays....
    Alas, my lot in life summarized in brief, elegant prose
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    Alas, my lot in life summarized in brief, elegant prose
    Well...don't drive home....call Uber...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Well...don't drive home....call Uber...
    I don't think Uber has been around the forum for awhile now, 2 months or more I think.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Clarke's GOOD. As the season goes on his name will show up on the 'radar' more and more. For me Clarke is the #1 bonus for this season. I knew he was good but really did not figure him in as being GOOD. His performance this season is icing on the cake for me as I just did not factor him with all the other 'known' Zags from last season returning. Zags, IMHO, have 8 starters: Josh, Geno, Rui, Brandon, Killian, Zach, Corey and Jeremy - with a heck of a decent supporting cast: Filip, Greg and Joel. I feel the best is yet to come with Zags from this group getting national/regional recognition. Few too for that matter.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png