Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Other Games - 01/07 to 01/13/2019

I'm sure this won't hold up, but a completely injury depleted South Florida team is totally outplaying UConn in Storrs. Up 14-6. Geno got disgusted and pulled all 5 starters. Bench isn't doing an worse than the starters did.

Wow, that was just a putrid half of basketball. USF sucks, they turned the ball over almost every possession in the 2nd quarter, yet they are only trailing 26-20 at halftime AT UCONN! Geno's team has a ton of talent but something is just not right with them this year. They've struggled against not very good teams multiple times this year--St. John's, Oklahoma, USF. Cal is quickly sinking in the Pac 12 standings, I don't think they're all that good either despite still being ranked. Could the 11 year Final 4 streak get broken this year?

I switched over to Arizona-Stanford (Card are rolling 31-16), but USF is only shooting 32% from the floor, has 18 turnovers, yet still within 10 of UConn in Storrs late in Q4. Unbelievable.

#16 Kentucky on upset alert, trailing 50-46 against unranked Ole Miss w/ about 30 seconds left.

Stanford putting on a clinic, crushing Arizona 44-16 at halftime, bombing away from 3. Alanna Smith might get a triple double--10 points 9 rebounds 7 blocks at this point.

Wouldn't it be something if Stanford won the Pac-12 and Rutgers won the Big-Ten?
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

78-48 final, and Arizona narrowed the gap a little in Q4. Stanford really made life hard for Aari McDonald. Lexie Hull looks like she's starting to shake the rust off after missing quite a few games w/ injury. 8 points on 3-4 shooting off the bench today.

#13 Tennessee in trouble again. Playing Georgia in Georgia where Georgia has not lost yet there this year.

Just starting the 4th and Tennessee is trailing 53-49.

ZagDad

#22 Florida St. lost to Clemson today.

This would be 3 losses in a row for Tennessee, pretty close to unprecedented I would think.

Rutgers up 5 on Nebraska inside 2 minutes left.

Last year the LA road swing was a nightmare for Oregon St. This year they went 2-0. Ran away in the 2nd half and beat USC by 24 despite 20 turnovers. Shooting 55% from the floor and holding your opponent to 25% goes a long way.

Down goes Tennessee. Wow. Nobody, NOBODY does less w/ more than Holly Warlick.

Washington St. bounces back with an easy 74-48 win over Colorado. Buffs' starting PG and leading scorer has missed the last 2 games, they look like toast without her (weren't winning even with her, but now they have no chance).

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Down goes Tennessee. Wow. Nobody, NOBODY does less w/ more than Holly Warlick.
    Some interesting information. The previous two teams to beat Tennessee last week (Missouri) and earlier this week (Kentucky) both were beaten in upsets today.

Looks like nobody is safe in the SEC this year.

ZagDad

Washington St. bounces back with an easy 74-48 win over Colorado. Buffs' starting PG and leading scorer has missed the last 2 games, they look like toast without her (weren't winning even with her, but now they have no chance).
    Pressure on the Huskies to take down Utah or only be one game ahead of the winless Buffalos for the race to the Pac-12 basement with the Cougs now 2 games clear of Colorado.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Wouldn't it be something if Stanford won the Pac-12 and Rutgers won the Big-Ten?
    Stanford has a big advantage in that they only play the Ducks and Beavers once this year and they play both teams on the farm. While certainly not easy, Stanford has the inside track to the Pac-12 title.

With their victory today Rutgers remains on top the Big-10 standings, one game clear of #25 Indiana (who will fall out of the Top 25 this week), #9 Maryland, and unranked Purdue. They are two games ahead of #17 Iowa and #23 Michigan State and 3 games clear of #18 Minnesota. A long way to go for the Scarlett Knights but it certainly has been making the Lady Zags look good.

Keep it up Coach Stringer,

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Pressure on the Huskies to take down Utah or only be one game ahead of the winless Buffalos for the race to the Pac-12 basement with the Cougs now 2 games clear of Colorado.

ZagDad
    Utah jumped out to a quick double digit lead. UW trying to hang around but uphill battle.

Barring their collapse in the last minute against ASU, Utah could still be undefeated on the season and tied for Pac 12 lead. They get some of the "yeah but they haven't beaten anybody" knocks against them, but I do think they are much improved from previous seasons since joining the conference. They started well last year but went downhill fast after Megan Huff got injured. She's back and playing at a high level for them. Interesting story, from Federal Way, WA, went to Hawaii to play volleyball, then ended up in SLC playing hoops.

Utah stretched a 7 point lead out to 15 at halftime. Melgoza is a nice player but she doesn't get nearly enough help. It's unbelievable how little talent Neighbors had on hand to replace Plum/Osahor. Although they would look a lot different if Aari McDonald hadn't transferred to Arizona.

SoCal has so much high school talent. USC and UCLA are puzzling to me.

I wonder how Sabrina's stats will look alongside Vandersloot's stats at the same point in careers.

I feel for JR Payne.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

SoCal has so much high school talent. USC and UCLA are puzzling to me.

I wonder how Sabrina's stats will look alongside Vandersloot's stats at the same point in careers.

I feel for JR Payne.
    LA, seems like most sports is the same story. Tons of home grown talent, they keep plenty of it, but on field/court results rarely measure up to what it should be. I think Close is in the bottom half of Pac 12 coaches and Trakh isn't really impressing me either. He had a nice run at New Mexico St., but was not noteworthy in his first stint at USC. This time around is actually looking worse.

Sabrina vs. Sloot, interesting. I would guess Courtney a little ahead in assists at this point of her career, Ionescu ahead in scoring and rebounding.

Nope, CV is not ahead of Sabrina in assists. Here is the comparison through both of their sophomore years:

Total Points: SI=1229, CV=883
    Total Assists: SI=481, CV=430
    Total Rebounds: SI=474, CV=262
    Total Turnovers: SI=209, CV=223
    Total Blocks: SI=19, CV=15
    Total Steals: SI=107, CV=131

Sabrina had a huge year last year with 748 points and 298 assists. In her sophomore year CV had 524 points and 239 assists. Sabrina is slightly ahead of last year's pace in most categories so far this year. Sabrina has scored significantly more points, is a much more prolific rebounder and has slightly more than 10% more assists than Courtney. Turnovers and blocks are statistically, essentially equal. Courtney has significantly more steals than Sabrina through their sophomore years.

Sabrina could, theoretically, pass the 2,000 point barrier this year if she continues at this pace and goes several games in the NCAA tournament. Barring an injury, she should rather easily pass the 1,000 assist mark in her Senior year, so she and CV would both have more than 2,000 points and 1,000 assists with Sabrina having more in both categories and significantly more assists. This assumes no major injury and that she stays for her 4th year in school. She would be a top pick if she elected to come out this year.

ZagDad

This would be 3 losses in a row for Tennessee, pretty close to unprecedented I would think.
    The last time Tennessee last 3 in a row was in 1986.

Before today, Tennessee has never lost three conference games in a row.

ZagDad

now that would be wonderful!

go Stanford...go Rutgers...go ND.....

Lots of games today, here is the summary of the Top 25:

Sunday - 01/13/2019
    #1 Notre Dame has no trouble with unranked Wake Forest 78-48
    #2 Louisville cruised by unranked Georgia Tech 61-44
    #3 UConn, in an ugly game beat a very depleted South Florida team 63-46
    #5 Oregon had little trouble with unranked UCLA 72-52.
    #6 Stanford showed their strength in manhandling Arizona 78-48.
    #8 NC State had their way with Virginia 66-38
    #10 Oregon State dismantled USC 76-52.
    #12 Syracuse took care of business against North Carolina 90-77
    #13 Tennessee lost for the 3rd straight time to unranked Georgia 66-62
    #15 Marquette came back from a tie at half to handle Georgetown 72-62.
    #16 Kentucky follows up its victory at Tennessee with a home loss to a very mediocre Old Miss team 55-49.
    #19 ASU turned a 1 pt deficit at halftime into a narrow victory over #24 California 62-61
    #21 South Carolina had no trouble with unranked LSU 76-53
    #22 Florida State laid an egg at home against Clemson 57-45. (45 points at home!!)
    #25 Indiana got back on the winning track by beating Wisconsin 75-68.

With Tennessee losing twice this week, they will fall behind the lady zags in both polls. I fully expected Kentucky to jump the Zags with their victory at Tennessee, but a home loss to Old Miss will also have them falling in the polls. I expect the Lady Zags to move up one space tomorrow to #13 in the AP Poll.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 01-13-2019 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Forgot to add in California vs ASU

Some good games next week, but very few that will likely help the Lady Zags in their climb up the polls.

Tomorrow (Monday), #7 Mississippi St will likely overwhelm Auburn but it is played at Auburn and Auburn is 14-2 overall and 2-1 in the SEC. Also you have #17 Iowa (11-4, 2-2) playing at #18 Minnesota (12-3, 1-3).

Stay tuned for a new thread for next week's games.

ZagDad

Maybe Cal already fell out of the polls but they were still ranked in at least one of them. That should change. Lost for the 4th time in their last 5 games, fell to 1-3 in conference w/ a 1 point setback at Arizona St. Cal had the last possession but couldn't get a bucket. ASU has been dodging some bullets but moved to 3-2 in conference, not out of touch w/ the leaders yet. Stanford and the Oregon schools are all 4-0, Utah is 4-1, the Arizona schools are 3-2. USC is in an 0-5 hole already w/ 3 straight road games coming up (UCLA, Arizona schools), could easily be 0-8 before they get a conference win.

Thanks SeaCat your right, I just missed the #19 ASU vs #24 Cal game.

I went back and fixed it.

ZagDad