Thread: Lady Zags are Moving On Up - Now #14 in AP Poll

Default Lady Zags are Moving On Up - Now #14 in AP Poll

The latest AP Poll has the Lady Zags ranked #14, their highest ranking in school history according to ESPN.

Link: http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...n-huskies-loss

From ESPN:

"RISING DOGS: Gonzaga moved up three spots to 14th, the best ranking in school history. The Zags are 15-1, with the loss coming against Notre Dame in the Vancouver Showcase. Gonzaga has a win over No. 6 Stanford on its resume and is off to the best start in school history".
    Indiana did make the Top 25 as I predicted, but for some reason Missouri was voted 28th.

Of interest to the Lady Zag fans, Rutgers, who has not lost since Vancouver, is up to #27. Help'n that Lady Zag RPI.

ZagDad

This ain't rocket surgery!

From GoZags:

Women’s Basketball Earns Highest Ranking Ever in Latest AP Poll
    Zags jump three spots to #14

SPOKANE, Wash. – The Gonzaga women's basketball team reached new heights Monday morning as it jumped three spots in the latest AP Poll to No. 14. It's the highest ranking ever by a Bulldog squad, surpassing the previous high of No. 15 set back in March of 2010.

Last week, Gonzaga defeated both Saint Mary's and Pacific at home, besting the Gaels 74-62 on Jan. 3 followed by an 88-65 win over Pacific on Jan. 5 to remain undefeated in WCC play with a program-best 15-1 overall record.

Gonzaga continues conference play at home this week with a single game against Portland on Saturday, Jan. 12 at 2 p.m. at the McCarthey Athletic Center.
    ZagDad

Nice! And well deserved.

From the Spokesman-Review:

Gonzaga women ranked school-best 14th in AP Top-25 poll
    Mon., Jan. 7, 2019, 8:33 p.m.

By Jim Allen
    jima@spokesman.com
    (509) 459-5437

For the Gonzaga women’s basketball players, Monday morning was spent in sweaty, ignorant bliss.

After two hours of hard practice at the Kennel, the Zags were ready for lunch. They were also served up with the news that they moved up to 14th in this week’s Associated Press Top-25 poll. That’s the highest spot in program history. Then again, no other GU team has been 15-1. The Zags are also 4-0 in the West Coast Conference going into their lone game this week, Saturday against visiting Portland.

More good tidings came from the conference, which for the second straight week named senior forward Zykera Rice as its player of the week. Greeted with the news after practice, coach Lisa Fortier smiled and tried to enjoy a moment that’s more fleeting in her profession than most others.

“I just hope the players are enjoying it a little bit,” Fortier said. “Coaches are always just looking to the next team and what we’re not doing well.”

In Saturday’s 88-65 win over Pacific, that included some poor perimeter defense, too many turnovers and “getting a little casual with our checkouts,” Fortier said. “We showed them on film where all five players were glancing at the basket, and didn’t look at the Pacific players running past us,” Fortier said.

If that sounds picky, that’s Fortier’s job. “When I look at film and some of the mistakes we’re making, we still have some room for growth,” Fortier said.

The players seemed to take Fortier’s words to heart during Monday’s practice.

“There’s always room for improvement, in every game, any little thing,” said guard Katie Campbell.

“The coaches are always talking to us, don’t look past anyone,” said sophomore Jill Townsend. “We really are trying to take it one game at a time.”

This week it really is just one game. That offers the Zags a chance to regroup, a halftime of sorts with 16 games down and exactly 16 to go if they make it to the WCC tournament title game in Las Vegas on March 12.

Fortier and her staff did just that, giving the players Sunday off after four games in eight days, with another off day later this week. That doesn’t mean they’re taking the Pilots (6-7 overall, 0-4 in the WCC) lightly. Fortier and her staff made sure of that, pointing out that Portland lost to Pacific by 10 and Saint Mary’s by eight.
    Article Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...-in-ap-top-25/

ZagDad

Yes, congratulations... well deserved. All of GU WBB deserves kudos... it starts from the top on down and CLF mentioned how much she appreciates all the support they get.

Last night she and Steve were discussing the fans and the difference between the crowds at the MAC verses the other schools. With the Wirth’s parents at the game, I would have liked to know their thoughts... being that they may have caught a few of the girls games down south.

Also listened to JW’s interview after the last game... she was asked about getting more time playing with her sister. She said it was fun and that they had played together in high school and knew where each other would be.

Last... as the team gets their well deserved recognition, there will more pressures and experiences to deal with...
    How they deal with them will show their weaknesses and strengths... I believe in this team and how they Cowgirl Up.

All the teams will be looking for their number starting with Portland...

Show them you’re BULLDOG STRONG!

Go Zags!!
    Last edited by SkipZag; 01-08-2019 at 10:43 AM.

ESPN's Charlie Crème still has the Lady Zags as a #4 seed hosting the first two rounds in Spokane in the Portland regional. Currently Charlie has the Lady Zags starting out against #13 Youngstown State out of the Horizon league with the winner facing the winner of the #4 California/#12 Northern Colorado (Big Sky).

Link: http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...l/bracketology

ZagDad

The coach's moved the Lady Zags up to #15 in the USA-Today coach's poll. The difference between the AP poll and the USA-Today poll is that the coach's have 3-loss Marquette one spot ahead of the Zags while the writers have Marquette one spot beneath the Zags.

Comparison Poll Link: http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

ZagDad

This is just amazing. If these ladies win out, they'll be Top 10 by March and primed for a Sweet Sixteen run. I'd have never thought this possible after JB left. It appears as though just the opposite is happening. Just amazing.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

JB had big shoes to fill but they were filled with lots of shoes....each player adding something to the mix...... but also , Katie in particular has added so much to both defense and offense and the Wirths seem to be relishing their increased playing time...don't get me started on what JT brings.....which is everything...

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    This is just amazing. If these ladies win out, they'll be Top 10 by March and primed for a Sweet Sixteen run. I'd have never thought this possible after JB left. It appears as though just the opposite is happening. Just amazing.
    In reality, I expected that this year's team had the ability to be as good offensively as we were last year and better defensively and gave a detailed explanation why I felt this was the case before the season started. Without going into great detail and regurgitating that post, this year we are scoring an average of 72.4 pts per game (last year 72.3 pts per game) and we are giving up 56.6 pts per game (last year 59.5 pts per game) which goes to support that we are as good offensively as last year's team and better defensively than last year's team. You can go into much greater detail if you like, but we are better in almost all aspects defensively than we were last year.

It is always easier to game plan to take away that one (1) superstar (no matter how good that superstar is) than to game plan to take away the entire team.

Nobody foresaw 15-1 and nobody predicted the Stanford victory, let alone me, but having a better, more complete, team, in all aspects of the game was not that difficult to project. I think the second half against Notre Dame gave this team the confidence that they could compete with anybody and they have played with that confidence ever since.

ZagDad

The one thing this years team has is their character... like I have said, they are gamers. I understand they work hard at practices to keep improving. Not only as a player but as a team. We have heard CLF comment how much fun it is to coach these players... this team.

Last years team depended a lot on JB... CLF commented on wanting JW to want the ball and to score. Something that wasn’t expected out of her last year when replacing ZR on the court... it was about JB.

This year doesn’t have “a” star.... it has a TEAM of stars.

I remember years ago watching the Brewster Bears boy’s team play... their team play was exceptional. I believe CS’s father was on that team as was her high school coach... wonder if that’s why CS is an exceptional team player...

Go Zags!!

not true in every case but so many of these really good bb players at least on our team seem to have strong father figures.....we've had a lot of players who's dads were bb coaches themselves...Keani,Shaq, among others.....I think JB as well...it starts with family....

ESPN has kept the Lady Zags at the top of their mid-major poll this week. Here is what ESPN pundit says about GU this week:

1. Gonzaga (15-1, 4-0 WCC)

A boxer generally can't be saved by the bell, but the buzzer to end the first quarter of Saturday's game against Pacific might have saved Gonzaga's No. 1 ranking. Already down seven points and struggling defensively, Gonzaga watched a half-court heave apparently extend Pacific's lead to double digits. Then video review determined that the shot came too late, and Gonzaga went on a 34-17 run and coasted to a 23-point win against a pretty good foe.

But as much as they caught a break on the clock, the Bulldogs benefitted from the spark point guard Jessie Loera provided off the bench in the first half. It was another example of how deep this team is. A starter until December, Loera has been even better off the bench. She had eight assists in the win against Pacific and has 27 assists in six games as a sub.

The game of the year in the WCC looms, as Gonzaga visits BYU next Thursday. (Last ranking: 1)
    Article Link: http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...p-mac-dominate

ZagDad

now this is crazy talk but some of us have to plan ahead for things..assuming the ladyzags stay in the top 16 , and get to play at the kennel, how will the tickets be allocated?....would being a sth mean anything?

Huge WBB game tonight with Zag implications: Louisville v Notre Dame.

I'd like to see Notre Dame win out, unless Rutgers can beat them.

The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Huge WBB game tonight with Zag implications: Louisville v Notre Dame.

I'd like to see Notre Dame win out, unless Rutgers can beat them.

A game today with maybe more immediate implications for the Lady Zags is #13 Tennessee playing #16 Kentucky but I admit, I will most likely be watching the ND-Louisville game unless it goes like last year's game went, a 30 Pt blow-out win by Louisville on ND's home court.

ZagDad