Thread: VIVA LA DIFFERENCE

Default VIVA LA DIFFERENCE

Taking a small space in the season to enter a thought. Zag Dad, a prolific poster on the GU women's board, went to the Men's side to solicit support for the Lady Zags, noting their sterling record thus far: A single (closer than the final score) loss to the then #1 ranked team, 17th AP rated, best start in GU history, fun to watch girls' BB team (they, as well as the male team, I'm ready to dispute, are still girls and boys, almost all of them of minority age). His overture met with, I'd have to say, considering the number of posters on that board, a limited, you-go-girls, passive response. Why, I wondered?

It's, sorry to echo what Gino Auriemma has said, ". . . not men's basketball. We're not playing above the rim." Absolutely right, it's an entirely separate, but not totally different, game. But, and here's the fun thing for viewers of the women's game, it's a version that's maintained disciplined skill levels of passing, pick & roll screening, match-up defense, box out rebounding fundamentals, adept three point and FT shooting, that, in IMHO, has been largely left behind in the men's college game. Gonzaga's men's team, way more than many others, still executes many of these fundamentals, but in most of the top men's programs, the coaching emphasis is on recruiting individuals who are superior athletes to overpower the opposition, mostly one on one (see Duke's RJ Barrett in the game's last seconds in Maui).

There's no question, five years from now, the NC2A women's championship team will have not just one, but perhaps two youngsters who can dunk the ball, the inevitable result of nutrition and genetics. At that point, the wonderful game we're enjoying so much now will have changed, morphed into a new dynamic. The UConn, ND and Gonzaga girls still won't be able to beat a quality HS boy's team, but the game were enjoying so much now, below the rim, will have begun moving into history. So, I guess what I'm saying, for now Gino, go ahead and bring in those HS boys to practice against your girls, toughen them up, but, in the end, let them be the best young women players they can be. Be themselves. And for us, the fans, Viva la Difference.

Thank You Upan8th.

Your opinion on the state of the Ladies game is spot on IMO.

Just for your reference, Stanford has just signed the #1 high school recruit for next year who has already dunk'd numerous times in her HS games. Videos of her dunking are readily available on YouTube.

Change is coming, maybe faster than we think (or want).

ZagDad

dunking is still worth 2 points....

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Thank You Upan8th.

Your opinion on the state of the Ladies game is spot on IMO.

Just for your reference, Stanford has just signed the #1 high school recruit for next year who has already dunk'd numerous times in her HS games. Videos of her dunking are readily available on YouTube.

Change is coming, maybe faster than we think (or want).

ZagDad
    The #1 player they signed is Haley Jones from the Bay Area. The dunking phenom is more of a raw talent at this point, Fran Belibi from Colorado. Her dunks are legit, she has some power on them. None of this barely rolling the ball over the rim stuff. She's not tall like Britney Griner either. I still think women dunking in games is going to be a rarity.

I hear the "more fundamentally sound, better teamwork" points put forth about why some enjoy women's college hoops more. For me a huge factor is that players stick around for 4 years (well unless they transfer, which is on the rise). You get to watch them develop and feel like you get to know their personalities somewhat. So many one and doners or two years at most for the majority of the really talented men's players. That and various scandals. It's really the off the court stuff that has kind of turned me off to men's hoops and redirected me more to the women's side.