Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gonzaga Returns Home to Host Saint Mary’s on Thursday at 6pm

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    st marys seemed to be large people.. one can see how having a large post...girth wise as well as tall....can alter a game....we are so going to appreciate Anna next season.....tonight was a tough match up for our finesse players....I hope Pacific isn't quite as physical.....as I remember them they are fast, pesky, quick....

but again, our team played to its strength...
    The ladies have played much more skilled post players than Megan McKay and played them much better than Megan. However, Ms. McKay has an exceptional talent for getting her position on the court and making 3 foot shots. She is not a "great" rebounding force, she can't extend the defenses but she does have a talent for using her lower extremities to establish position. She usually does not use her upper body (arms and shoulders) to guard or establish position thus she frequently does not get called for the arm checks or shoulder digs that our bigs frequently get called for.

I was surprised to hear that CLF planned to take away the 3-pt shot and was somewhat surprised by the impact McKay had inside. Any body who watched the game in the Kennel last year remembers how badly McKay and Raggio killed us inside. CLF kept saying that St. Mary's totally changed their offense this year, but what I saw against Pacific on Monday and against us last night was the same old Gaels. CLF thinks they figured out some things on how to stop them in the 4th quarter.

Anyway, on to Pacific who gets it done with an entirely different scheme but still is a great rounding team with lots of speed.

ZagDad

Stacey Clinesmith noted on the post game radio show last evening the lob pass into McKay that was so effective for a majority of the game last evening was something SMC had not showed earlier this year. Eventually she said they kind of got if figured out and played the lob a bit better. In fact, late in the game at the west end of the court in front of me I noted 4 GU players surrounding McKay attempting to prevent the lob. It was obvious they had gotten the defensive message.
    Every year Mark Few loses guys that you never heard of before they became a Zag and replaces them with guys you never heard of before they became a Zag. Jimmy Dykes-Maui Classic 2009

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    The ladies have played much more skilled post players than Megan McKay and played them much better than Megan. However, Ms. McKay has an exceptional talent for getting her position on the court and making 3 foot shots.

ZagDad
    Definitely Stanford's front court is much more talented. Smith is looking like one of the best players in the country as a Sr., and Fingall and Dodson are very athletic with good size. GU coaching staff had a great game plan going into the Stanford game. They better go back to the drawing board for Round 2 against SMC.

edited--I didn't see the game against Notre Dame but the Shepard/Turner combo is also a lot better than SMC's players. They combined for 31 points on 12-24 shooting. I'd say Shepard is equally physical as McKay. Don't know what the big problem was last night, they made her look like an All-American. The 5 spot is the biggest weakness for Oregon St. this year and against them McKay had 7 points on 2-9 shooting.

Thanks SeaCat and Section.

For a long time I questioned CLF and her staff about their apparent inability to make in-game adjustments. CLF has shown that she can set up a game plan with the best of them and this year she has shown marked improvement at making effective halftime adjustments.

Stacy may have made the comment about St. Mary's not showing the lob into McKay earlier this year, but then they obviously did not watch the Pacific game on Monday because they did it in that game and it certainly worked last year against us.

Don't know what the big problem was last night, they made her look like an All-American.

When this ^^^^^^^^^ happens to a Top-20 team, it was not a failure of the team but a failure of the coaching staff. I won't say they solved the issue in the 4th quarter, but it was better than the previous quarters. At least we did not let McKay beat us in the 4th quarter. Maybe the easiest solution is to not "front" McKay. She is definitely not fleet of foot and she can't drive around any of bigs. Offensively, Zee took her to the hoop anytime she wanted to.

As SeaCat noted above, CLF and her staff need to go back to the drawing board before Round 2 in Moraga.

Onward to Pacific, who also bangs the boards.

ZagDad

IMO, if you set up a game plan that took away Mckay and Raggio and made the rest of the team beat you, the victory would have been 20+ points. Obviously the Pac-12 teams figured out how to contain McKay and Raggio, maybe these are the game films CLF and staff should be watching.

ZagDad

if anyone really wants to know what this team is about, I'd suggest going back and watching two spots in the game...

first one, just into the 4th quarter, when LS knocks over JT....they were all laughing afterwards.....laughing...in a tight game.....they are ENJOYING themselves...

and then when the game was over and the team gathered on mid court....Leeanne must have made a big funny because they were all smiling and laughing as they left the floor....

this team is just different...

Congratulations ladies...you have to win the first one to win them all!

It is just too bad ESPN is IMO so sexist in not giving the ladies equal time...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Congratulations ladies...you have to win the first one to win them all!

It is just too bad ESPN is IMO so sexist in not giving the ladies equal time...
    Looking at TV listings for Sunday, there are 13 women's games being broadcast. 13! ESPN family of networks, ROOT, Fox Sports, CBSSN and Pac 12 Network. That is incredible. I've never seen that many games on the schedule in one day before. I'd say that's massive progress.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Looking at TV listings for Sunday, there are 13 women's games being broadcast. 13! ESPN family of networks, ROOT, Fox Sports, CBSSN and Pac 12 Network. That is incredible. I've never seen that many games on the schedule in one day before. I'd say that's massive progress.
    Please don't take any offence but I was an assistant women's coach at a D1 program in the old Sun Belt Conference before women's teams were rolled into the NCAA and yes, there has been "massive progress" - The men used to travel by plane and the women by vans and buses, only five scholarships for 15 players, almost no TV coverage; however, when you want to go check stats or box scores of mens' games you can find all of them BUT when you want to check up on a woman's team they are not there unless it's a top team in a P-5 conference. You can't find Lady Zags' stats unless you go to the NCAA Official Site (Thanks Zag Dad)...ESPN makes advertising money on showing the games but evidently, they have no desire to build on their NCAAW portion of ESPN online site, to include team stats on a TEAM's page...

Yes, Women's Bball has come a long way in the last 32 years but we should not just settle for what we have...anything less than equal won't do...just saying

Here, Here BozoZag.

There is a reason the NCAA Wbb is still using the RPI for the NCAA tournament selection process. The advanced metrics that the new "NET" (used for the Mbb team selection process) evaluation tool uses are not gathered or calculated for the women, hence they still use the totally worthless RPI.

That being said, unfortunately there is not the "demand" for this level of information on the women. Look at this board and the number of viewers and posters. Poster's who post information that applies to both Mbb and Wbb can't be bothered with posting on both boards. The WNBA would not exist if the NBA did not provide upwards of 60% of the revenue (directly and indirectly) to the WNBA teams. The first (2) rounds of the Wbb NCAA tournament are held at the home arena's of the top 16 seeds because of poor attendance at the pre-selected sites. It goes on and on. You can force the universities' (Title IX) to have an equal number of scholarships to men and women, but you can force the public to attend the women's events. If people don't show up to attend the women's games, don't watch women's sports on TV or the internet, don't purchase subscription or streaming service packages to watch women's sports, the advertising slots go unfilled and thus there is considerably less TV revenue available for all. If there is only a very limited audience for women's sports, the tv coverage simply won't be there and without TV revenue, it is very difficult for women's sports to expand.

The question, as always, is what comes first, the chicken or the egg? To grow demand for women's sports, they need more TV time to build their base but if there is limited demand for the women's sports, the TV channels have little desire to broadcast the said women's sports.

With the WNBA opting out of their CBA after this year (2019) it will be interesting to see how they revise the CBA to satisfy both the players and the teams, their is only so much pie to divide unless you can find a bigger pie.

ZagDad

Bogo, I guess I just don't expect equal treatment for the women's bb leagues...I'm okay with that....I have issues with the media especially local media, that should be covering local sports but instead gives a majority of print space to national sports, or the Zag men...I dearly love the Zag men, but I do wish that our lady Zags would get a third of the coverage that the men do.....just a third...

but I also wish that other local teams or personalities would get more coverage....including more HS sports, including local players at the college or professional level( I think Bri January was completely ignored).

the best sports writing locally is usually done by Steve Christilaw who focuses usually on local issues..

with increased media, perhaps more people would realize what a joy and pleasure it is to follow a good local womens college bb team...

Sylean, you are correct. The SR does not even have anybody watch the Wbb away games. They simply copy the Associated Press write-up and a line or two and say "gathered from AP press and staff reports". The #17 Wbb team in the country plays the #3, undefeated team in their conference at home and where does the SR put the report on the ladies?

Not the front page of the sports section as this was reserved for the EWU football team, Seahawks and the Gonzaga Mbb. O'K I can understand, that their is likely a greater proportion of their readers who would like to read about one of these three (3) stories. Page 2, nope this was held out for various summaries of national sports and small special interest stories. Page #3, nope that is the continuation of the EWU, Seahawk and Gonzaga Mbb articles started on the front page along with a couple of pictures to go with each story. Page #4, yes there we are top of the page, maybe 20% of the page and absolutely no pictures of this home game. They could not even be bothered to put photos from the Pacific game on their web site (they did for St. Mary's). This team is the highest ranked team "EVER" and is off to the best start "EVER" in the history of Gonzaga Wbb, yet the ladies get no respect from the local print media. Disappointing is the most polite thing I can say about the SR and their Lady Zag coverage.

Has anybody else notice this issue at the Kennel.

What about the "supposed" season ticket holders in the lower bowl, center court between the team benches, who, except for big games (Stanford, St. Mary's, etc.) simply don't frequently attend the Wbb games. The single worst attended (physically attended, not ticket sales) section is this section of the arena where I would estimate that this section of the court is usually only 60-75% full on any given Wbb home game.

If your buying tickets for the points, why not buy them in the upper bowl and let those who actually attend the majority of home games sit in the lower bowl. It sucks to have this big open portion of the stands when lots of people would like to sit there.

ZagDad

I've been watching more women's hoops than men's hoops the last several years. I think it was a long, gradual transition. But I am not the typical sports fan. You can ask for equality all you want, but ESPN website and various tv networks are catering to what the general sports fans want. I don't think it's going to change. I'm thankful for the progress that has been made.

A major issue with the coverage afforded the GU women has to do with the declining circulation of the newspaper, which, in turn has led to a smaller staff in all departments. The sports staff today has to decide where to put their resources, just as they always did. However the resources and the budget are smaller. The fact that the Review has Jim Allen covering home games should be viewed as a plus, and reflects the knowledge there is significant interest in this town for GU women's basketball. The bottom line, as always, is financial. In fact, as a sign of the times, see the link below. The Dallas Morning News, the largest newspaper in Texas just laid off 42 employees. https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...venue-declines. I don't believe it will happen in my lifetime, but I foresee a time when newspapers as we know them will cease to exist!
    Every year Mark Few loses guys that you never heard of before they became a Zag and replaces them with guys you never heard of before they became a Zag. Jimmy Dykes-Maui Classic 2009

Section 116:

I, as I am sure many posters on this board, are, if not fully aware at least somewhat aware of the current trials and tribulations of the print media as these have been on-going and getting worse over the last 10+ years. Many historic magazines and newspapers have gone by the wayside due to lack of readership. However, would it really cost the SR that much to have Jim Allen watch the away games on the internet (either live or on demand) and then write-up a report on the game? If they can afford having him and a photographer attend the Wbb home games, the least they could do is have him watch the away games on-line and then provide the paper with an actual report instead of re-publishing the AP report. You can bet the articles on the Mbb away games are not re-published AP articles.

It would not cost the SR any more money to put the Lady Zags on the front page or the second page of the Sports Section instead of burying the story on the 4th page. This team is now ranked in the Top-25 in the nation, do you not think it may deserve a picture or two to accompany the article for home games? They can find the space for lots of pictures of the Mbb on their games, should not they at least put in one or two pictures of the ladies?

Nobody expects equal coverage between the Gonzaga Mbb and Wbb teams, but we would like to be at least in the same zip code and not treated as an afterthought by our local paper.

ZagDad