Thread: New AP Top-25 Wbb Poll - 12/31/2018

Default New AP Top-25 Wbb Poll - 12/31/2018

The new AP Poll is out today and the Lady Zags are up to #17.

As expected, Michigan State jumped the Lady Zags by virtue of their win against #16 (last week) Iowa. However, Depaul, Arizona State, Iowa and California were all dropped behind the Lady Zags this week by the writers.

Coach's poll comes out tomorrow.

Great Job ladies, let's go get the Tigers today and continue our climb up the charts.

Link: http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...kings/_/poll/1

This week is starting off great as unranked Rutgers just knocked off #4 Maryland 73-65. Rutgers has not lost Vancouver. Our win against Rutgers is looking pretty good right now, helping the RPI.

As of today, there are no teams ahead of us with 3 or more losses in the poll and just three (3) teams with two (2) losses (Syracuse, Texas & Oregon State), so movement up the poll may be a bit slow in the next few weeks.

ZagDad

Another unbeaten goes down to defeat.

#12 Minnesota falls from the ranks of the undefeated after getting beat by Michigan 76-60 and that is after out-scoring Michigan by 8 points in the 4th quarter.

ZagDad

I don't care if we move up the polls slowly.....I just want those 2 home games when we hit the NCAA (if!)....our seeding killed us off early last season.......home advantage although not absolute is BIG.

exciting times.....

2 years ago was a neutral court game against an Oklahoma team that had to travel a lot further than GU did. The Zags were just lackluster in that game, and very few of their fans showed up. Of course hosting is ideal but playing in Seattle isn't bad at all and shouldn't be seen as a disadvantage. And Husky fans got behind GU and tried to pull them thru when their late rally came up short.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    2 years ago was a neutral court game against an Oklahoma team that had to travel a lot further than GU did. The Zags were just lackluster in that game, and very few of their fans showed up. Of course hosting is ideal but playing in Seattle isn't bad at all and shouldn't be seen as a disadvantage. And Husky fans got behind GU and tried to pull them thru when their late rally came up short.
    Nobody is saying that our lackluster play against Oklahoma in Seattle was due to having to travel. Our bigs basically got out-muscled (literally by Paris) and the rest of the team lacked energy. We played a much better game against Stanford at the farm last year but with the same result. However, you minimize the impact that getting a home seed means to every team including Gonzaga.

By playing at home in the first two (2) rounds you are playing on your court, with your rims, you sleep in your own beds, and eat your own food, play the game in your own time zone in addition to the elimination of the loss of time due to travel. Do not dismiss the changing of time zones. In every sport, it has been shown that the more time zones you cross, the less likely it is for the traveling team to win. It is harder going from West to East, but the teams from the East also feel the effects of traveling West.

Playing in the Kennel specifically and in Spokane in general is not just an advantage, it is a huge advantage for the Lady Zags. UCLA, Iowa and Miami made huge complaints to the NCAA after losing to the Zags in the NCAA tournament. They felt it was totally unfair to have to play Gonzaga (an obviously inferior team) on their home court. Complaints by higher ranked teams having to play at the home stadiums of lower seeded teams, in addition to poor attendance at first & second round games led to the NCAA to make the rule that 1st round games would be played at the home courts of the top 16 seeds. If playing on your home court was not such a big advantage and had the big, bad P-6 teams simply taken care of business, they would not have been complaining.

While GU is only about 13th (or so) in the nation in total attendance, their percentage of capacity is either #1 or #2 in the nation (behind only Notre Dame). While there are 12 other teams that average more than GU's 5500+ fans for home games you have to take into account the environment. So, while having 9,000+ fans or even 12,000 fans is great, when you put that number in a 18,000+ seat arena, it does not compare to the 5,500 fans in a 6,000 seat arena. There is a reason the Kennel is one of the most difficult places for an opposing team to play. Look at the winning percentages of the Lady Zags when they play in the kennel. Yes, Edith, there is definitely a large, home court advantage.

Finally, and more importantly, hosting the first and second round games means your team will be the highest seeded team for the first two rounds. Thus, the first two games would be played at home against lower seeded teams, instead of always playing a higher seeded team away from home.

So by being a top 16 seed, you play at home against lower seeded teams, seems like a very big advantage that is worth striving for but the Lady Zags have a long way to go.

So far the ladies have done what they need to do, but to get that Top 16 seed, they likely will have to win their remaining 16 league games (home and home against every team in the league) and then beat three (3) of these same teams for a 3rd time in the tournament. You know how hard it is to beat a team 3 times in a season? Yes the lady zags are good, even very good, but can they bring it every game for the next 19 games? Stay tuned to this channel and see.

ZagDad

I'm pretty sure Spokane is in the same time zone as Seattle and Palo Alto.

Of course hosting is preferable, I'm not saying otherwise. But good teams can overcome. A few years ago GU beat Oregon St. in Corvallis, and they rarely lose on their home floor. When UW went to the Final 4 they had to beat Maryland in College Park and Kentucky in Lexington.

edited--the previously mentioned OSU had to go to Knoxville last year and handed the Vols their first ever loss on their home floor in the NCAA Tournament

a lot of people spent their wad....meaning time off .....in vegas.....I should have gone but I didn't think I could get more time off....this year will be different, hopefully....

But good teams can overcome. A few years ago GU beat Oregon St. in Corvallis, and they rarely lose on their home floor. When UW went to the Final 4 they had to beat Maryland in College Park and Kentucky in Lexington.
    But it is much easier to overcome when you are playing at home against lower seeded teams, right?

I guess I am not understanding your point. Show me any team (P-6 or mid-major) that does not want to maximize any advantage that they can get if you want to advance in the NCAA tournament. Is not playing at home an advantage? Is playing lower seeded teams an advantage? It certainly does not guarentee you a win but it does improve your chances at victory, right? Don't you think Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State want to play at home in March?

Obviously the season is not lost if the Lady Zags do not get a Top 16 seed. Personally, I think this is the best overall "team" Gonzaga has put on the floor since the Vandersloot, Bowman, Standish, Redmon era. They certainly are capable of going to a West Coast site and winning a first and maybe a second round tournament game, but why would you not strive to be one of the Top 16 teams and get that home court advantage?

Those of us who support mid-major programs understand that they do not get multiple "oops" if they want to host one of the first two rounds. OSU, Oregon, Stanford, California and even Arizona State (from the Pac-12) can lose one, twice and maybe even 3 more times in conference and they still could be considered for a Top 16 seed. The mid-majors, no matter who you are (Gonzaga, Green Bay, South Dakota, Central Michigan, etc.) and who you beat in your OOC schedule, if you lose even one conference game, it all but eliminates you from consideration for a Top 16 seed. If Gonzaga wants to host, every game, from here on out, is a tournament game. They are not even permitted a single "oops".

That is why we mid-major supporters are already talking about NCAA tournament seeding. We know we can get into the NCAA tournament by winning the WCC tournament. Assuming we win the WCC championship, this year we would likely get an "at-large" invitation if we lost the WCC tourney assuming we do well during the year. However, it is very rare that a non-P6 conference team would get a chance to host (if your name is not UConn). This year we have the OOC wins (11-1), the signature victory (Stanford), the P-6 record (3-1), a single good loss (to then #1 Notre Dame) AND the poll numbers (#17 in December) that would all support a Top 16 seed. Contrary to the top 2-3 teams in the P6 conferences, this is uncharted territory for most mid-major teams.

This year the opportunity to host is within the grasp of the Lady Zags. ALL they have to due is win the next 19 games including each of the last 3 which would require beating the same team for a 3rd straight time this year.

In answer to your question, are we good enough to win on the road in March? Absolutely. But my question to you is wouldn't it be in Gonzaga's best interest and the Lady Zags preference to play those first two games at the kennel?

St. Mary's gets their chance on Thursday.

Go Zags

ZagDad

Agree with ZD that having the opportunity to play at home is a great benefit. Like CLF has said, league games are a grind. To run the table would be a great accomplishment, but thats a long way down the road. I believe also that the 1 and 2 seeds in the WCC tournment automatically go to the semi finals. That would mean only having to win 2 games in Vegas. Should be a fun game Thursday.

USAToday Coaches Poll Week 9 Link

Gonzaga moves up 3 places this week to #18...Just behind Marquette and Michigan State...

Go Lady Zags

We know it changes daily, but our RPI, as of 1/1/2019 is...……..

#9!!!!

Link: https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...basketball-rpi

Looking good ladies.

Big game this week.

Zag Up,

ZagDad

The latest version of ESPNs Bracketology is out and Charlie Crème has the Lady Zags as a #4 seed.

As things stand as of today, we would be hosting 1st and 2nd round games in the kennel (even if his bracket says we would play in Minneapolis, we wouldn't).

Here is the link: http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...l/bracketology

Just win baby, and the home court will be yours.

ZagDad

we're all excited for this team but its still sooo early......

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    And Husky fans got behind GU and tried to pull them thru when their late rally came up short.
    That is not the way I remember it. Many Husky fans, including the sea of purple which surrounded me, booed the Zags from the beginning and cheered hard for Oklahoma.

That is how jealousy shows itself.

You must've been in a different arena. I was there. The building was pulling hard for GU. BS with the jealousy.