Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: 2019 Foo Celebrity Dead Pool Thread

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Actor Danny Aiello, Age 86

https://pagesix.com/2019/12/13/danny...ce=twitter_app

Manhattan-born Aiello first rose to prominence playing Horse in the 1973 movie “Bang the Drum Slowly,” which co-starred Robert DeNiro, Michael Moriarty, Vincent Gardenia and Phil Foster. The next year, playing mobster Tony Rosato in “The Godfather: Part II,” he uttered the infamous line, “Michael Corleone says hello!” before putting Frankie Pentangeli (Michael V. Gazzo) in a choke-hold. In a 2014 interview with Charlie Rose, he said he is often asked whether the line was improvised — admitting it was. “I have no idea why I said what I said,” he recalled, adding that the short piece of dialogue stuck. “I thought I was in trouble with the director.”

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Bummer... loved him in The Professional.

Great actor.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Bummer... loved him in The Professional.

Great actor.
    The chiropractor angel in Jacob's Ladder.

Man. Rest in peace.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

William S. McFeely, a historian who won a Pulitzer Prize for his biography of Ulysses S. Grant but was also well known for advancing the field of black history, died on Wednesday in Sleepy Hollow, N.Y. He was 89.

His son, W. Drake McFeely, said the cause was idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, a lung disease.

Professor McFeely also wrote an acclaimed biography of Frederick Douglass as well as “Yankee Stepfather: General O.O. Howard and the Freedmen” (1968), a study of the Freedmen’s Bureau, set up by the government at the end of the Civil War to oversee the welfare of freed slaves, and the man who ran it.

These books and other writings established Professor McFeely as a leading interpreter of Reconstruction, the pivotal period after the Civil War.

NYT Obit: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/13/b...ies-at-89.html

Peter Snell, a middle-distance runner from New Zealand who set world records in five events and became a three-time Olympic gold medalist in the 1960s, died on Thursday at his home in Dallas. He was 80.

Snell was a virtual unknown on the international track scene when he surged in the stretch of the 800-meter race at the 1960 Rome Olympics to overtake Roger Moens of Belgium, who held the world record at the time.

Snell won both the 800 meters and the 1,500 meters at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, matching a record for gold in those events in a single Olympics that had been set by Albert Hill of Britain at the 1920 Antwerp Games. No one has achieved that feat since Snell’s double.

Hayden Fry, well-known Iowa football coach from 1979 - 98, passes at age 90.

His Coaching "Tree" included:

Bob Stoops: winningest coach at Oklahoma
    Kirk Ferentz: winningest coach at Iowa
    Bill Snyder: winningest coach at Kansas State
    Dan McCarney: winningest coach at Iowa State
    Barry Alavrez: winningest coach at Wisconsin
    Last edited by RenoZag; 12-27-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Default NASCAR Legend Junior Johnson

https://apnews.com/9da58736a573fc474...ign=SocialFlow

A native of North Wilkesboro, North Carolina, Johnson was named one of NASCAR’s greatest drivers in 1998 after a 14-year career that ended in 1966 and included a win in the 1960 Daytona 500. He honed his driving skills running moonshine through the North Carolina hills, a crime for which he received a federal conviction in 1956 and a full presidential pardon in 1986 from President Ronald Reagan.
    Mr. Johnson was 88

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Wearing a face mask in a pandemic isn't a political choice. It's an IQ test.

Edward Aschoff, a college football reporter for ESPN, died Tuesday on his 34th birthday, according to ESPN.

"We are very sorry to have to share the devastating news of the tragic passing of friend and ESPN colleague Edward Aschoff," ESPN said in a statement. "Our thoughts are with his loved ones, including his fiancée Katy."
    According to ESPN, Aschoff started working for ESPN.com as a reporter based in Atlanta. He moved to Los Angeles in 2017 to begin a more expanded national role that included television coverage.

Journalist William "Bill" Grieder, Age 83.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Greider

William Greider, a reporter, editor and popular author who examined the United States, its politics and its position in the world through an economic lens for four decades for The Washington Post, Rolling Stone, The Nation and other media outlets, died on Wednesday at his home in Washington. He was 83.

His son, Cameron, said the cause was complications of congestive heart failure.

Mr. Greider worked for 15 years at The Post, where he was a national correspondent, an assistant managing editor for national news and a columnist.

His writing then took a more polemical and leftward turn at Rolling Stone, where, as a columnist and national affairs editor from 1982 to 1999, he began investigating the defense establishment and challenging mainstream political and economic thought.

He joined The Nation in 1999 as the national affairs correspondent and was also a correspondent for six “Frontline” documentaries on PBS, including “Return to Beirut,” which won an Emmy in 1985.

Broadway Composer - Lyricist Jerry Herman, age 88.

He also made stage history as the first composer-lyricist to have three musicals run more than 1,500 consecutive performances on Broadway — “Hello, Dolly!” with 2,844, “Mame” with 1,508 and “La Cage” with 1,761 — and remains one of only two to achieve that feat. (Stephen Schwartz, with “Pippin,” “The Magic Show” and “Wicked,” is the second.) And “La Cage” (1983) was the only Broadway musical to win the Tony for best revival twice, for 2004 and 2010 productions.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/t...gtype=Homepage

Radio shock jock Don Imus, one of the early pioneers of his genre, died Friday less than two years after retiring, according to a family statement given to NBC New York.

He was 79.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncn...mpression=true
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerzag View Post
    Radio shock jock Don Imus, one of the early pioneers of his genre, died Friday less than two years after retiring, according to a family statement given to NBC New York.

He was 79.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncn...mpression=true
    He had health problems for quite some time, bad asthma or emphysema.

I was a huge fan and terribly disappointed with his statement about the Rutgers basketball team. I did like his response, but it was just a terrible thing to say.

Still, he was so observant, and so entertaining in his later years, when he got away from "shock jock" and more into news and interviews.

I was a regular fan of his MSNBC morning show when they did radio and TV together.

Morning Joe has morphed into a good show, mix of views, and fairly solid, all things considered, but I still loved Imus in the Morning.

RIP - Did a great job for kids with cancer at his ranch.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Lee Mendelson, the producer who changed the face of the holidays when he brought “A Charlie Brown Christmas” to television in 1965 and wrote the lyrics to its signature song, “Christmas Time Is Here,” died on Christmas day, his son said.

Mendelson, who won a dozen Emmys in his long career, died at his home in Hillsborough, California, of congestive heart failure at age 86 after a long struggle with lung cancer, son Jason Mendelson told The Associated Press.

Lee Mendelson headed a team that included “Peanuts” author Charles Schulz, director Bill Melendez, and pianist and composer Vince Guaraldi, whose music for the show, including the opening “Christmas Time Is Here,” has become as much a Christmas staple as the show itself.
    https://apnews.com/7103be1c49b800d7373a38c2cfdb19ce

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Didn't get the memo!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Nice job, Reno.

I had never heard of him, but now know his contribution, and amazing talent. The group associated with Peanuts, and Schultz, will likely never be topped or attempted again.

Only the Far Side approached the beloved nature of Peanuts. And the pressure hit Larson hard. Schultz must have been one tough dude, all of them.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Marine General Paul X. Kelley, Age 91

OBIT: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/31/u...lley-dead.html

On his path to becoming the 28th commandant of the corps, when he was a three-star lieutenant general, General Kelley became the first commander of the Rapid Deployment Joint Task Force in 1979. It was a novel command, comprising elements of each military service, that marked a new readiness to intervene militarily in the Persian Gulf and nearby regions.

The task force would eventually grow into the Central Command, which in later years would oversee the 1991 Persian Gulf war and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Reno, think we're gonna' need a new thread in a few hours. I'll start pickin' winners.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Yup.

Jazz great Jack Sheldon, passed on 12/27 at the age of 88:

While the charismatic and hilarious Sheldon boasted an impressive résumé that included serving as the music director and sidekick on The Merv Griffin Show for 18 years; releasing 23 albums as a bandleader between 1955 and 2007; heading his own 17-piece orchestra; working with everyone from Art Pepper, Gerry Mulligan, Benny Goodman, and Frank Sinatra to the Monkees and Tom Waits; and acting in various movies and TV shows, he is also lovingly remembered as the affable, lackadaisical crooner from the Schoolhouse Rock! cartoons of the 1970s, including "Conjunction Junction" and "I'm Just a Bill.”
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...192128260.html

Mark Evanier on Jack Sheldon: https://www.newsfromme.com/2019/12/3...sheldon-r-i-p/
    Last edited by RenoZag; 01-01-2020 at 03:16 PM.