Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Foo Celebrity Dead Pool Thread

Former Congressman John Conyers has died at age 90

Former Senator Kay Hagan, 66.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/r...er-1203385589/

Robert Evans, the Paramount executive who produced “Chinatown” and “Urban Cowboy” and whose life became as melodramatic and jaw-dropping as any of his films, died on Saturday night. He was 89.

Even though Hollywood history is filled with colorful characters, few can match the tale of Evans, whose life would seem far-fetched if it were fiction. With his matinee-idol looks but little acting talent, Evans was given starring roles in a few movies and then, with no studio experience, was handed the production reins at Paramount in the 1960s. When he left the exec ranks, his first film as a producer was the classic “Chinatown,” and he followed with other hits, like “Marathon Man” and “Urban Cowboy.” Eventually, his distinctive look and speaking style turned him into a cult figure, and he had the distinction of being the only film executive who starred in his own animated TV series.

His life was a continuous roller-coaster. Amid the successes, Ali MacGraw left him for Steve McQueen, her costar in the 1972 “The Getaway,” a love triangle that got huge media attention. (MacGraw was the third of Evans’ seven wives.) In 1980, Evans was arrested for cocaine possession and a few years later, was involved in an even bigger scandal: the murder of would-be Hollywood player Roy Radin during the production of “The Cotton Club.” Due to his association with Radin, Evans became a material witness in the execution-style slaying, though no proof of Evans’ knowledge of or connection to the murder was ever established.

Paul Barrere, guitarist-singer for Little Feat, dies at 71

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...es-71-66567256
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Ron Fairly — 3x World Series champion with the Dodgers, and the only player to represent both Canadian teams in the All Star Game (Expos in 1973, Blue Jays in 1977.) He was 81.

During the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, which struck 30 years ago this month and interrupted the A’s-Giants World Series, Fairly was in the Giants’ booth. He was with the Mariners when a 1996 quake interrupted a game at Seattle’s Kingdome.

“I should be in Ripley’s Believe It or Not,” Fairly said in a 1996 SF Chronicle interview. “I’m the only announcer who was on the air at the time of two earthquakes that postponed games.”

https://www.sfchronicle.com/giants/a...s-14582913.php

Gert Boyle, a German-born businesswoman who built the billion-dollar Columbia Sportswear Company and starred in its ads as “One Tough Mother,” died on Sunday in Portland, Ore. She was 95.

Robert C. Norris, a rancher known for his role as the Marlboro Man in television commercials for the cigarette brand, died on Nov. 3 in Colorado Springs. He was 90.

His death, at Pikes Peak Hospice & Palliative Care, was announced on his Tee Cross Ranches website. No cause was given.

Mr. Norris, portrayed in Marlboro advertisements with a cigarette in his hand or mouth, was the face of the Marlboro brand for more than a decade.

He was first approached on his ranch after ad executives spotted him in a photo with the actor John Wayne, who was a close friend, his son Bobby Norris told KKTV in Colorado Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Robert C. Norris, a rancher known for his role as the Marlboro Man in television commercials for the cigarette brand, died on Nov. 3 in Colorado Springs. He was 90.

His death, at Pikes Peak Hospice & Palliative Care, was announced on his Tee Cross Ranches website. No cause was given.

Mr. Norris, portrayed in Marlboro advertisements with a cigarette in his hand or mouth, was the face of the Marlboro brand for more than a decade.

He was first approached on his ranch after ad executives spotted him in a photo with the actor John Wayne, who was a close friend, his son Bobby Norris told KKTV in Colorado Springs.
    CBS Sunday Morning said he never actually smoked (outside of the ad campaign)

Jake Burton Carpenter, the pioneer who brought snowboarding to the masses and helped turn the sport into a billion-dollar business and Olympic showpiece, has died at 65.

He died Wednesday night in Burlington, Vermont, according to an email sent to the staff of the company he founded. Carpenter had emailed his staff this month saying, “You will not believe this, but my cancer has come back.” He had been diagnosed with testicular cancer in 2011 but after several months of therapy had been given a clean bill of health.

Carpenter quit his job in New York in 1977 to form the company now known simply as Burton. His goal was to advance the rudimentary snowboard, then called a “Snurfer,” which had been invented by Sherman Poppen a dozen years earlier.

Pillsbury Doughboy passes away at age 71

Sad, sad day today. A beloved American icon, Poppin' Fresh the Pillsbury Doughboy passed away last night. Here's his obituary:

"The Pillsbury Doughboy died yesterday of a yeast infection and trauma complications from repeated pokes in the belly. He was 71.

Doughboy was buried in a lightly greased coffin. Dozens of celebrities turned out to pay their respects, including Mrs. Butterworth, Hungry Jack, the California Raisins, Betty Crocker, the Hostess Twinkies, and Captain Crunch. The gravesite was piled high with flours.

Aunt Jemima delivered the eulogy and lovingly described Doughboy as a man who never knew how much he was kneaded.

Born and bread in Minnesota , Doughboy rose quickly in show business, but his later life was filled with turnovers. He was not considered a very smart cookie, wasting much of his dough on half- baked schemes. Despite being a little flaky at times, he still was a crusty old man and was considered a positive roll model for millions.

Doughboy is survived by his wife Play Dough, three children: John Dough, Jane Dough and Dosey Dough, plus they had one in the oven. He is also survived by his elderly father, Pop Tart.

The funeral was held at 3:50 for about 20 minutes."
    It's not funny.

Ouch.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Wataru Misaka passed away on Thursday at the age of 95.

�� Drafted in 1947 by the Knicks
    �� NCAA champion (Utah)
    �� First non-white player and Asian descent player to play in the NBA

He met Rui during last year's NCAA tournament, an encounter documented by Jim Meehan:

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...i-hachimura-a/

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...FSDj6U-gQSykXo

Malcom Young, AC/DC Guitarist & Co-Founder, Age 64

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...FSDj6U-gQSykXo

Malcom Young, AC/DC Guitarist & Co-Founder, Age 64
    RIP

My gateway band to serious headbanging.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

American author, cartoonist and illustrator Gahan Wilson died yesterday, according to his family’s GoFundMe page. He was 89. The notice reads, “The world has lost a legend. One of the very best cartoonists to ever pick up a pen and paper has passed on. He went peacefully – surrounded by those who loved him.”

Born in Evanston, Illinois, on February 18, 1930, Wilson’s dark, horror-inspired cartoons and prose stories regularly appeared in the pages of Playboy, Collier’s and The New Yorker. He also created the comic strip “Nuts,” a darker, more cynical answer to “Peanuts” which ran in National Lampoon magazine.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Michael J. Pollard, Character Actor in ‘Bonnie and Clyde,’ Dies at 80

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/22/m...lard-dead.html
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)

William D. Ruckelshaus, who resigned as deputy attorney general rather than carry out President Richard M. Nixon’s illegal order to fire the independent special Watergate prosecutor in the constitutional crisis of 1973 known as the “Saturday Night Massacre,” died on Wednesday at his home in Seattle. He was 87.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/27/u...core-ios-share

Seymour Siwoff, who brought statistical analysis to the sports world, chronicling feats from the epic to the arcane through seven decades as the head of the Elias Sports Bureau, died on Friday at his home in Manhattan. He was 99.

Until then, Mr. Siwoff had since 1952 been the president and chief executive of Elias, the official record-keeper for America’s major professional sports leagues. In recent years the bureau’s day-to-day operations had been overseen by Steve Hirdt, the executive director, but Mr. Siwoff remained a presence in its Manhattan office until just a few months ago.

When Mr. Siwoff took control of Elias, it was tallying basic baseball records for newspapers and wire services. At the time, the Brooklyn Dodgers were evidently the only team with its own statistician, Allan Roth, who tracked the performances of the Dodgers’ players.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/29/s...core-ios-share

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...was-82-1197320

Ron Leibman, the dependable actor known for his Tony Award-winning performance in Angels in America: Millennium Approaches and for his turns in such films as Where's Poppa?, Slaughterhouse-Five and Norma Rae, died Friday of pneumonia in New York City, two family reps told The Hollywood Reporter. He was 82.

Leibman, a native New Yorker who also played Rachel's (Jennifer Aniston) nasty, no-nonsense father on Friends, received an Emmy Award in 1979 for portraying a former car thief turned criminal attorney on the CBS series Kaz. Despite critical acclaim, the sophisticated drama, which he co-created, was canceled after only 23 episodes.

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Chicago-born rapper Juice WRLD died Sunday after suffering a medical emergency at Midway Airport, according to media reports.

The 21-year-old rapper, whose birth name is Jarad Anthony Higgins, died after suffering a seizure, according to TMZ.

Chicago police confirmed that a 21-year-old man suffered a medical emergency at the airport about 2 a.m. after getting off a private jet. He was taken to a local hospital and pronounced dead.

Juice WRLD rose to fame off the back of his 2018 album “Goodbye and Good Riddance,” which peaked at number 6 on the Billboard 200. The lead single “Lucid Dreams” peaked at number 2 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Caroll Spinney, Puppeteer Behind Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch, Dies at 85

Carroll Spinney, who gave Big Bird his warmth and Oscar the Grouch his growl for nearly 50 years on “Sesame Street,” died Sunday at the age of 85 at his home in Connecticut, according to the Sesame Workshop.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/car...ch-1203428981/

https://wtop.com/tv/2019/12/sesame-s...ies-at-age-85/

René Auberjonois, a prolific actor best known for his roles on the television shows “Benson” and “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” and his part in the 1970 film “M.A.S.H.” playing Father Mulcahy, has died. He was 79.

The actor died Sunday at his home in Los Angeles of metastatic lung cancer, his son Rèmy-Luc Auberjonois told The Associated Press.

René Auberjonois worked constantly as a character actor in several golden ages, from the dynamic theater of the 1960s to the cinema renaissance of the 1970s to the prime period of network television in the 1980s and 1990s — and each generation knew him for something different.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/201...berjonois.html

Former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker, who conquered the raging, double-digit inflation of the 1970s and championed tougher Wall Street regulation, has died at the age of 92.

Volcker, who led the central bank from 1979 to 1987, was a giant in the financial world, both figuratively and literally, standing at 6 feet, 7 inches. His legacy includes an eponymous regulation mandated by the landmark 2010 Dodd-Frank Act, the “Volcker rule,” which prevents banks from using customer deposits to make speculative short-term trades for their own profit.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...s-at-92-078829