Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 77

Thread: Killian Tillie and Geno Crandall Return to Action

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chattaroy (20 mi N of GU)
    Posts
    3,737

    Default

    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...r-north-alaba/

    There’s an outside chance senior guard Geno Crandall could return Friday after missing just more than a month with a fractured bone in his right hand that didn’t require surgery. Joel Ayayi played 12 minutes in both of the last two blowouts while Greg Foster Jr. has logged at least 4 minutes in each of GU’s last four games.

    Junior forward Killian Tillie, who had surgery to repair a stress fracture in his ankle in late October, is able to do more at practice each week but probably won’t be back prior to conference play. Freshman forward Filip Petrusev has been a steady contributor off the bench with seven games in double figures (8.8 points per game) and nearly 15 minutes per outing.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,357

    Default

    Sweet! Let’s go Geno!

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    Certainly team chemistry on the floor is very important, but so is being in game shape. Even if Tillie can return mid-Jan, I don't see him physically being able to play at full game speed before early Feb (at best). It's not just a matter of a injury healing, but also a matter of building game speed endurance.
    I agree that Tillie will not return to play full-time. He'll return to play slowly. A little at a time. He'll definitely being a member of the bench for some time. I'd say 4 games. And then he'd be ready to start.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  4. #29

    Default

    I'd like to see Gonzaga platoon Tillie with Filip as a rotation like they did with Tillie an Collins. Maybe let Rui play outside for Kispert. What a challenging lineup to defend.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Spokane County, WA
    Posts
    234

    Default

    I finally watched an episode of the Mark Few Show this past weekend and he stated that there is no rush to bring these two back when asked about their status. I guess he figures that he's past the difficult part of his schedule so there is no need to take unnecessary risks with their recovery.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between pain and pleasure
    Posts
    3,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    I'd like to see Gonzaga platoon Tillie with Filip as a rotation like they did with Tillie an Collins. Maybe let Rui play outside for Kispert. What a challenging lineup to defend.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Yeah a line up of Perks, Snacks, Rui, BC and Filip/Tillie for a good 6-7 minutes would be very interesting. If the defense went man to man Rui would eat anyone up. So then if they double Rui any of the others would just feast.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

    Func FOO

    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.


  7. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a13coach View Post
    Yeah a line up of Perks, Snacks, Rui, BC and Filip/Tillie for a good 6-7 minutes would be very interesting. If the defense went man to man Rui would eat anyone up. So then if they double Rui any of the others would just feast.
    A line-up of Perkins, Snax, Rui, BC and Tillie would be without question the most "above the rim" high octane NBA-like five players we've ever put on the floor. Whether they could defend and rebound I have no idea, but my dog in heaven would the ball ever move up the floor.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,357

    Default

    https://www.google.com/amp/www.spoke...mp-content=amp

    12/31 for Geno and 1/5 for Tillie according to Jim Meehan...

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Posts
    628

    Default

    Tillie saying “It doesn’t feel strong enough”, in that report from Meehan, makes me think Jan. 5th might be a little optimistic.
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    A line-up of Perkins, Snax, Rui, BC and Tillie would be without question the most "above the rim" high octane NBA-like five players we've ever put on the floor. Whether they could defend and rebound I have no idea, but my dog in heaven would the ball ever move up the floor.
    Can’t wait

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Can’t wait
    Yeah.

    A lot riding on those two playing at their absolute best.

    If both get in a groove with the team, playing their best ball, it's the difference between a team that gets to the Sweet Sixteen and a team that has a very legitimate shot at the final four, puncher's chance at winning it all.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,366

    Default

    This team as is, is cranking out over 94 ppg. I doubt Tillie's addition would increase the offense. Same with Crandall. Both add what we need in terms of depth. We really need strong defense and rebounding. Geno's got good defense in his bag of tricks. Tillie has not been a stronger rebounder or defender as I recall anyway. There is no doubt Tillie and Geno will let the others take a breather and that may help with fresh legs on defense. That may be the biggest help
    I said from the beginning that Filip is surprisingly mature and plays better than most frosh do. Getting Tillie back gives up 2 6 11 kids and gets Few some nice options.

    Defense rebounding will get us to a FF. More offense won't since we're already scoring at the highest pace I can remember. Few will work it out.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    This team as is, is cranking out over 94 ppg. I doubt Tillie's addition would increase the offense. Same with Crandall. Both add what we need in terms of depth. We really need strong defense and rebounding. Geno's got good defense in his bag of tricks. Tillie has not been a stronger rebounder or defender as I recall anyway. There is no doubt Tillie and Geno will let the others take a breather and that may help with fresh legs on defense. That may be the biggest help
    I said from the beginning that Filip is surprisingly mature and plays better than most frosh do. Getting Tillie back gives up 2 6 11 kids and gets Few some nice options.

    Defense rebounding will get us to a FF. More offense won't since we're already scoring at the highest pace I can remember. Few will work it out.
    I agree defense is much more reliable. I can see Tillie and Petrusev subbing in tandem for Rui and Clarke. This would allow them to play a little more intensely without worrying as much about fouls. I don't think there would be a drop off in production

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Fat City
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outraged View Post
    I agree defense is much more reliable. I can see Tillie and Petrusev subbing in tandem for Rui and Clarke. This would allow them to play a little more intensely without worrying as much about fouls. I don't think there would be a drop off in production
    Shouldn't Tillie be getting significantly more minutes than Petrusev though? I think he will. Maybe twice as many.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    9,039

    Default

    Dont think Tillie will be in perfect game shape from day 1 -- so Petrusev should continue to get minutes.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,357

    Default

    Tillie and Geno will lessen the load for the starters who have been playing an insane amounts of minutes for any starting 5 this season. When you rely on your starters 85% of the time, then you end up seeing a team visibly not as sharp on offense or defense as the other team’s. I’m not worried about defense and rebounding especially with the display of domination a well rested group just showed themselves capable of playing. There’s certainly holes on the Zags, but offensively this team is truly special. The defense will only get better as guys won’t have to compete for 35-40 a game against guys who only have to play 25-30.

  17. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    This team as is, is cranking out over 94 ppg. I doubt Tillie's addition would increase the offense. Same with Crandall. Both add what we need in terms of depth. We really need strong defense and rebounding. Geno's got good defense in his bag of tricks. Tillie has not been a stronger rebounder or defender as I recall anyway. There is no doubt Tillie and Geno will let the others take a breather and that may help with fresh legs on defense. That may be the biggest help
    I said from the beginning that Filip is surprisingly mature and plays better than most frosh do. Getting Tillie back gives up 2 6 11 kids and gets Few some nice options.

    Defense rebounding will get us to a FF. More offense won't since we're already scoring at the highest pace I can remember. Few will work it out.
    How can I say this without being thrown under the bus? Offensively I think the numbers are missleading. We may have put up 94 ppg averaging in several games against cupcakes but just over 88 ppg against the top 8 teams we have played. With Tillie and Crandall I think we will be able to put up the 94+ points against the top teams. Our offense will be better along with a better D. I'm sure our ppg would be higher if Few wasn't so gracious as a host by putting bench players in early. These cupcake games enable the bench to be evaluated and brought along.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,366

    Default

    88 ppg against the high end opponents is still way off scale. What we need is a mid 60's defensive record.I think we can do that but only id=f we have fresher legs as Mal indicates. And I do think Tillie and FIlip will both be playing simultaneously as well as subbing for each other. As good as Rui and Clarke are, we need a bigger presence in the middle. Of course this depends on who we're playing and who their personnel might be.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Yeah.

    A lot riding on those two playing at their absolute best.

    If both get in a groove with the team, playing their best ball, it's the difference between a team that gets to the Sweet Sixteen and a team that has a very legitimate shot at the final four, puncher's chance at winning it all.
    We all know what Killie is capable of with the shooting. I’m looking forward to the high-low game returning, with Tillie passing down to the block. I think our defensive rotations should get better, and swapping out Kispert for Rui’s length at the 3 is very intriguing.

    It was a shame when Geno got injured because he was just starting to look like he was getting into the flow.

    Just getting to play without worrying about fouls is huge. I think the best performance was Sebonis and Wiltjer in this regard, but this year was a close second.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    800

    Default

    The title of #1 on defense goes to Tillie based on last years performance. He may not block quite as many shots as Clark, but his defense is stellar. Tillie has the whole package. If he can work back to 100% as good as he was in the dance last year, we're livin'.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    How can I say this without being thrown under the bus? Offensively I think the numbers are missleading. We may have put up 94 ppg averaging in several games against cupcakes but just over 88 ppg against the top 8 teams we have played. With Tillie and Crandall I think we will be able to put up the 94+ points against the top teams. Our offense will be better along with a better D. I'm sure our ppg would be higher if Few wasn't so gracious as a host by putting bench players in early. These cupcake games enable the bench to be evaluated and brought along.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    When I think of Tillie healthy and playing this year, I think of Few’s description of him: “Killian is a problem solver for us.” Zags offense will absolutely improve w Killian..especially vs zones. He has always struck me as a very good defensive player, certainly capable of blocking shots and switching on D.

    Integrating 100% healthy Crandall and Tillie into this team makes me very very excited...assuming everyone maintains a genuine team-first attitude.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Edgewood, WA
    Posts
    1,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    The title of #1 on defense goes to Tillie based on last years performance. He may not block quite as many shots as Clark, but his defense is stellar. Tillie has the whole package. If he can work back to 100% as good as he was in the dance last year, we're livin'.
    Tillie was a better defender than Clark last year only because Clark wasn’t allowed to play. Tillie is a good defender. Clark averages three times as many blocks and twice as many steals and is a national defensive player of the year candidate while holding back because he has to stay in the game due to lack of depth.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,357

    Default

    Was there any word on Geno mentioned during the game?

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,975

    Default

    Said Geno was cleared to play....Dan/Fox opined he would not play in this game because the defense was to physical for his first game back...

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Liberty Lake
    Posts
    1,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Said Geno was cleared to play....Dan/Fox opined he would not play in this game because the defense was to physical for his first game back...
    Yes, that's what I heard them say also. It made sense to me to hold Geno out of this one as there was a lot of contact and players on the floor as a result of the pressing defenses.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •