Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 85

Thread: Gonzaga vs Denver: Post-Game Thoughts

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    881

    Default

    Good effort last night. Hard to play with intensity against an opponent as outmatched as that.

    The shooting was incredible no matter what. Difficult to shoot that percentage in warm ups.

    I'm good for about one game like this every once in a while. Four in a row?

    I know scheduling is hard and what they have played so far is about as good as it gets. I just don't think playing this type of game helps a whole lot. I don't think the advantages offered, i.e. regaining confidence, working on deficiencies, etc. outweigh the sheer lack of competitive minutes.

    If it were at all possible, I would prefer games with more regional opponents that would offer more of a challenge.

    Utah State. Fresno State. UC Irvine. These programs are all in the top 100 kenpom and are pretty consistently there year after year. At least recently. They would definitely offer more resistance but would be a game that should result in a win. Sure, there might be an odd loss from time to time but the Zags would get better in the long run.


    Anywho. It is what it is for this year. Glad I'm not paying for tickets to these next few games. I'll see them in SF. That might be their first competitive game in a month.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,407

    Default

    Was it me or did they get 3 or 4 shot clock violations in a row at one point in the first half? Holy cow... what a game. Yeah... cupcake... but defensively... they took the cupcake to the woodshed.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,058

    Default

    Same old broken record...if you are going to play games like this play local and regional teams....at least there would be some support for the visiting teams and some..... hopefully...... good natured kidding between fans...

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Yep. Can't speak to current players, but I know for a fact one current coach, former players, & players' parents read these boards.

    When I was a Gonzaga student (2001-2005), I sat right next to two Zag players in a Computer Systems class, and before every class they would read the GU boards iteration at the time (GUNation, or an earlier scout version).

    I would find it entertaining when they would read one of my threads at the time (different username).
    The coaches, they're grown men, respected around the country, nothing to prove or apologize for. Doesn't seem to me to be anything good or bad.

    Players? I would recommend to every one of them to just stay away from all fan boards, and even some news articles. Listen to the coaches, they're the only opinions that matter, and we as fans go through swings where we're at our collective worst (and best) and there's not all that much to gain in it.

    Fantastic effort last night, when the team could even be forgiven for coming out a little flat, all things considered. They seem to be buying into the challenges from the staff.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post

    Fantastic effort last night, when the team could even be forgiven for coming out a little flat, all things considered. They seem to be buying into the challenges from the staff.
    This.

    First time all season I've seen us expand our perimeter defense, save the 2nd half vs Creighton.

    I have a feeling the Coaches keep saying it, and the players aren't doing it.

    It looks like they don't trust themselves vs better teams. Almost as if they start to execute it, then slowly sag back, which allowed so many open shots vs UNC & Tennessee. A couple inexcusable missed switches were an issue too, but those have looked much improved since UT Arlington game.

    Amazingly, Corey Kispert still getting lost time and time again even vs borderline D2 teams. If he didn't hit open 3pt shots and was a tough nosed rebounder, he wouldn't see a minute on the floor. His defense makes no sense, effort/hustle/heart is actually his downfall, believe it or not, because there is no reason to lose your man as easy as he does. But I notice he helps on every player along the way to tracking his man. His intentions are good, but unnecessary. I firmly believe he would be better suited relaxing a bit, and focusing on ONE thing on defense. He tries too hard, even his emotions and reactions to missed plays or wide open shots are too serious.

    Never want to ask a kid to tone it down in bball but it's the only explanation of how bad his defense is...often times leading to 10 or 12 pt runs by the other team, or a domino effect of help defense on our end. This all started last year too.

    The only open shots Denver created were vs him, for the most part. Fortunately they missed the wide open looks or layup bunnies.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,983

    Default

    Was able to go to the game last night with my son and had a good time. Been a few years. I thought Foster showed promise. However Ayayi looks very hesitant/unsure/lost/ etc. He did hit a pull up three at the end that he shot with confidence but when the ball is in his hands it seems he cant get rid of it quick enough.
    Also he is so small he gets pushed around so so easy. I didn't notice it as much from this game but its something I have noticed in other games a lot.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,075

    Default

    Kispert footspeed and anticipation are completely absent on defense.

    Gotta be brutal to sit through video sessions for the kid. Needs complete retooling imo.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Kispert footspeed and anticipation are completely absent on defense.

    Gotta be brutal to sit through video sessions for the kid. Needs complete retooling imo.
    Not to be argumentative but you seem hyper focused on Kisperts defense.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NEC26 View Post
    Not to be argumentative but you seem hyper focused on Kisperts defense.
    gonna have to help me...what point does opinion cross over from focused to hyper focussed?

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,983

    Default

    I just noticed you comment on Kisperts defense a lot. I mean there are a few guys on this team who are not great at defense. One of whom is in your avatar. Rui is a great player but his defense is pretty lacking as well.

    Edit: To be clear I am in no way saying they are comparable players. Just pointing out that you seem really in tune to one players deficiencies.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NEC26 View Post
    Not to be argumentative but you seem hyper focused on Kisperts defense.
    To be fair, it does stick out like a sore thumb.

    Watch the game last night, the only open 3's taken were Kispert's man. Then watch Kispert, he is underneath the hoop defending another player he shouldn't or sprinting to the open shiifer he lost track of.

    I give him the benefit of the doubt one on one, as just his physical limitations, easy to forgive getting beat to the rim. Happens a lot too.

    However, losing track of your man after one offensive set time and time again is unacceptable.

    He is a tough player, hits open shots, but gives up way too many points on defensive end, esp open 3pt shots which good teams hit.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Roslyn, Washington
    Posts
    222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    To be fair, it does stick out like a sore thumb.

    Watch the game last night, the only open 3's taken were Kispert's man. Then watch Kispert, he is underneath the hoop defending another player he shouldn't or sprinting to the open shiifer he lost track of.

    I give him the benefit of the doubt one on one, as just his physical limitations, easy to forgive getting beat to the rim. Happens a lot too.

    However, losing track of your man after one offensive set time and time again is unacceptable.

    He is a tough player, hits open shots, but gives up way too many points on defensive end, esp open 3pt shots which good teams hit.
    Either you forgot to log out of your goshzagit username or you’ve logged in under rtz to echo your own sentiments already given under a different handle Either way you have made your point.
    gobroncsgozags: "Have a great day in the podunk, crap hole known as Roslyn."

  13. #38
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bing View Post
    Either you forgot to log out of your goshzagit username or you’ve logged in under rtz to echo your own sentiments already given under a different handle Either way you have made your point.
    Outside depth, fatigue, & occasional issues switching...by far this team's biggest weakness.

    It is what it is, but a valid point/concern, esp a player averaging the 3rd most minutes.

    Richard Fox spoke a few minutes expressing the same concern, "the effort is always there but the fundamentals are not".

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,289

    Default

    The more I watch Kispert play I realize he is a tweeter...not big enough to defend PF's and not quick enough to defend SF's or SG's...just my opinion. The kid has all the instincts and many physical attributes gut just not the size or speed. My guess is when Tillie is healthy, he will eventually be coming off the bench. Again jmho...

  15. #40
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    The more I watch Kispert play I realize he is a tweener...not big enough to defend PF's and not quick enough to defend SF's or SG's...just my opinion. The kid has all the instincts and many physical attributes gut just not the size or speed. My guess is when Tillie is healthy, he will eventually be coming off the bench. Again jmho...
    +1

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,058

    Default

    Kispert is emerging as this years whipping boy...

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,491

    Default

    I'm enjoying your ideas. And they make me think. That's dangerous,,,,hahahaha. I think everyone knows what kind of team Denver is. That's a given. The fact that Gonzaga crushed them is the fact that some of you here, for some reason, are blind to. The defense we saw was NOT in any way the kind of defense Gonzaga has been playing this year, and I think most fans really appreciate that. I know the fans in K2 did. There was real appreciation for The Zags did last night, and how they played in K2 by the fans. I think it's too bad that I don't see that kind of appreciation by many here. I think that some of you will never be able to appreciate the Zags and how awesome they are until the find a new conference on the East Coast.

    I don't understand why some of you don't just go and give your support to conferences like the ACC, Big East, Big 12 ect. I think you would be happier supporting a team like Duke or North Carolina. Like Gonzaga, they win a lot, but they are in a tougher conference.

    Regarding the debate on Kispert your idea that he is slow and gets lost sometimes is true. But your idea that the problem is that he needs to stay on his man is completely not true because Few's defense is all about switching the man your guarding on ever screen. Every player does this, and every player gets lost from time to time. ALL OF THEM. Few changed this kind of D two years ago I believe. Overall, it has made Gonzaga a better team, but it has to be played with the intensity that it played last night. IMO there's no reason to make Kispert a scapegoat. He may, once again, become a terrific bench player when Tille returns, but he will make Gonzaga even better coming off the bench.

    To the person asking about Ayayi, he played great last night. Yes GREAT. He is getting better every game. To those of you who call him weak and that he gets pushed around all the time by tougher and stronger players, I completely disagree with you. You need to rewatch the game and focus on him. I think he got 4 or 5 boards last night. He was clearly a fighter, and extremely tough. He helps run the offense, and does a good job. When he plays on the wing he moves the ball really well too, and passes with precision. And yes he scored 5 points last night and did hit a 3 pointer. It was a beautiful shot.

    Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  18. #43
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,531

    Default

    I've enjoyed Ayayi's subtle yet noticeable progress last two games.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I'm enjoying your ideas. And they make me think. That's dangerous,,,,hahahaha. I think everyone knows what kind of team Denver is. That's a given. The fact that Gonzaga crushed them is the fact that some of you here, for some reason, are blind to. The defense we saw was NOT in any way the kind of defense Gonzaga has been playing this year, and I think most fans really appreciate that. I know the fans in K2 did. There was real appreciation for The Zags did last night, and how they played in K2 by the fans. I think it's too bad that I don't see that kind of appreciation by many here. I think that some of you will never be able to appreciate the Zags and how awesome they are until the find a new conference on the East Coast.

    I don't understand why some of you don't just go and give your support to conferences like the ACC, Big East, Big 12 ect. I think you would be happier supporting a team like Duke or North Carolina. Like Gonzaga, they win a lot, but they are in a tougher conference.

    Regarding the debate on Kispert your idea that he is slow and gets lost sometimes is true. But your idea that the problem is that he needs to stay on his man is completely not true because Few's defense is all about switching the man your guarding on ever screen. Every player does this, and every player gets lost from time to time. ALL OF THEM. Few changed this kind of D two years ago I believe. Overall, it has made Gonzaga a better team, but it has to be played with the intensity that it played last night. IMO there's no reason to make Kispert a scapegoat. He may, once again, become a terrific bench player when Tille returns, but he will make Gonzaga even better coming off the bench.

    To the person asking about Ayayi, he played great last night. Yes GREAT. He is getting better every game. To those of you who call him weak and that he gets pushed around all the time by tougher and stronger players, I completely disagree with you. You need to rewatch the game and focus on him. I think he got 4 or 5 boards last night. He was clearly a fighter, and extremely tough. He helps run the offense, and does a good job. When he plays on the wing he moves the ball really well too, and passes with precision. And yes he scored 5 points last night and did hit a 3 pointer. It was a beautiful shot.

    Go Zags!!!
    Maybe the D was different but i still have my doubts that it has more to do with who we were playing. I mean 2 weeks ago we were giving up 100 to unc and letting them put the walk-ons in... Now our D is amazing because the coaches told them firmly to play defense please or because we were playing Denver? They should have asked them to play defense and rebound before the UNC game

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon_zag View Post
    Maybe the D was different but i still have my doubts that it has more to do with who we were playing. I mean 2 weeks ago we were giving up 100 to unc and letting them put the walk-ons in... Now our D is amazing because the coaches told them firmly to play defense please or because we were playing Denver? They should have asked them to play defense and rebound before the UNC game
    First Rui said in the interview after the game, that they have been working hard and focusing on their defense and rebouding, which leads me to believe that Few and his staff doing a lot more than just talking about it. Second. It's easy to see that played defense much harder in last night's game. It was very intense. Our players were right up into the chest of Denver's players.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,905

    Default

    O boards were awful 14-4 for the night. Our guys are not positioning properly. Seem untrained to get boards after our shots!
    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but did anyone else notice that Gonzaga had no offensive rebounds in the first 10 minutes? That's ZERO!



    Wow! Just WOW.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon_zag View Post
    Maybe the D was different but i still have my doubts that it has more to do with who we were playing. I mean 2 weeks ago we were giving up 100 to unc and letting them put the walk-ons in... Now our D is amazing because the coaches told them firmly to play defense please or because we were playing Denver? They should have asked them to play defense and rebound before the UNC game
    The Coaches apparently waited until after the UNC game to meet with the players to discuss areas of improvement, individual challenges, and what is absolutely imperative for each player & their respective contributions to overall team success.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    First Rui said in the interview after the game, that they have been working hard and focusing on their defense and rebouding, which leads me to believe that Few and his staff doing a lot more than just talking about it. Second. It's easy to see that played defense much harder in last night's game. It was very intense. Our players were right up into the chest of Denver's players.
    Agree it was visible. It's just easier to get up in the chest of guys you know aren't going to blow by and dunk on your head...

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    The Coaches apparently waited until after the UNC game to meet with the players to discuss areas of improvement, individual challenges, and what is absolutely imperative for each player & their respective contributions to overall team success.
    No. I'm not implying that. Maybe the players were ready to listen. I'm sure you realize that players do not always listen to the coaches.

    I also believe that in the early part of the season the coaches focused more on offense than defense. And it's not easy to to get the new players to understand and learn a new offensive system that is very difficult to learn. We need to understand that our losses came early in the season, and Few had very little time to prepare for a few of the best teams in the country. For example. UNC had 8 days to prepare. Gonzaga had 2 or 3..
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    13,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Same old broken record...if you are going to play games like this play local and regional teams....at least there would be some support for the visiting teams and some..... hopefully...... good natured kidding between fans...
    Or you could invite your very successful 5th year point guards hometown team (with many players that he plays with in the summer) to his current house.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •