Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Denver: Post-Game Thoughts

Default Gonzaga vs Denver: Post-Game Thoughts

Gonzaga 101
    Denver 40

Wow. I am really happy after watching a game last this. I wrote a thread this morning,"It's Game Day. The Best day of the week." And I talked about why watching the Zags was so much fun for me. Tonight the Zags really did show us all why I really lik the Zags. In my thread I talked about having two post players like Rui and Clarke and how I love to watch them dunk and block shots. I mentioned how I love to watch Rui grab a rebound, dribble down court and dunk the ball.I talked about the whole team, and maybe Ayayi the most. God I love watching him play, and he continues to show why I do. I don't mind watching the Zags win by 60, and especially if they play like they did tonight.

I also loved how the fans showed their appreciation for what the Zags were doing. This game slowing was becoming one of the best games in Zags history. This is so cool, and everyone played their part and contributed. I will be smiling the rest of the night.

I just want to say a little about the D. OMG!!! Did you see that defense? Best ever. I knew they had it in them because most of our guys played last year and know how to play Mark Few defense. They played all-out D at least until half, and I think Denver had around 20 points. There was one problem. Turnovers.

Game Day is the best Day of the week.

Go Zags
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Greatest margin of victory in GU basketball history tonight; 61.

Kind of quiet in the complaint department. Too bad that execution wasn't there in the two losses, but dang that was surreal. Crazy intense D and O. Well played gentlemen!
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Denver would probably finish in the middle of the pack in the WCC, so I think we may see similar results a few more times before seasons end.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Denver would probably finish in the middle of the pack in the WCC, so I think we may see similar results a few more times before seasons end.
    probably right...but that was a perfect storm. Denver was overmatched but we hit a lot of long and mid range shots at high clip. Record setting night to be exact.
    Usually I dislike cupcake games but this one was different. Funner

Using KenPom and Net as a guide, Denver would finish 10th of 11, edging out Portland.

I'm grateful we only play Portland once this year.

Petrusev is quietly one of my favorite players to watch, efficient, non flashy but great fundamentals. Once he gets stronger he will be a force.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Petrusev is quietly one of my favorite players to watch, efficient, non flashy but great fundamentals. Once he gets stronger he will be a force.
    Ditto.

He gets it.

Understands the opponent and gameplan which is huge for a Frosh

Smothering defense and the guys mostly kept it up till mid 2nd half. Great offense. We play defense like that and the guys really played hard, we'll see a FF. Finesse from the two bigs.not a muscled game where they push people off the block. I still think we need that one big. But the hard defense may well make up for it. Lightweight opponent but this type of defense would work against anyone given the mechanics we saw tonight. Hope we keep it up.

I love this stat:

Guard Josh Perkins leads the nation with 96 assists and the Zags lead the nation with 232 assists. ...
    Game story on espn.com
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=401083633
    GO ZAGS!!!

giving wayyyy too much credit to both gonzaga and denver...middle of the pack in the wcc this year is strong...two of these teams will finish 5th and 6th in the league this year: USF/SMC/BYU/USD/LMU -- winning by 20 should be considered a major blowout against any of these teams.
    Last edited by WallaWallaZag; 12-22-2018 at 02:48 AM.

I was unable to catch the game. How did Joel look tonight ?

Coaches obviously read this board and focused on D accordingly

Perfect gameplan, execution, effort and outcome heading into the Christmas break. Everyone played well; Jones, Petrusev, Ayayi, Foster w double digit minutes. My favorite stat line: Jones w 5 pts, 5 rbds, 5 assists in 18 minutes.

Saw that stat and agree w you too Sarenyon. Perkins leading nation in assists and Zags leading nation as a team in assists is awesome. What recruit wouldn’t love that stat...Zags clearly walking the talk of what I’m sure every coach likes to claim: we play team ball, we share the rock etc etc.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Seeing some real defensive effort was nice. BUT, this was, after all, Denver. The talent differential was immense. Do however, hope to see this upgraded defensive effort continue.

I described DU as a dumpster fire and now you see why. DU would be at the bottom of WCC. They were on their way to losing by 60 at Cal Irvine last week (down 40+ with 15 minutes to go) but Irvine started playing their walk-on's which allowed DU to"only" lose by 40 or so. Decent talent for their league, they just don't compete against good teams. especially on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags1993 View Post
    I was unable to catch the game. How did Joel look tonight ?
    I thought both him and Foster played well...in fact Joel played with Josh for a few minutes, which IMO is a good think...he switched and anticipated - played excellent "D" ...he still looks a bit giddy on offence but that could just be his comfort level...he made a couple of nice passes into Filip for scores but don't think he was credited with assists...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    The WCC will feel like the BIG EAST compared to these four end of the OOC cupcakes. Really piss poor scheduling.
    Jazz, I agree these four are not top level schools BUT I think they NOW serve a dual purposes:

1. Allows more time for Filip, Joel and Foster to get some needed court time as I believe it strengthens the TEAM and...

2. It allows the team to develop it's defensive identity, something that has been lacking in several previous games.

We are the best offensive scoring GU team in history and we now need our defence to step up...we have excellent athletes that need to believe they can play excellent "D"

Games at USF and USD are going to be really challenging as they will make every attempt to slow the tempo and our defence needs to be able to defend for 30 seconds as both schools will wait to late in the shot clock to initiate their offence.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Coaches obviously read this board and focused on D accordingly .
    We say this in jest, understandably so, yet I do know of one Asst Coach who checks this board from time to time.

Mostly in the off season, & mostly for downtime entertainment, but it was mentioned to me fairly recently.

Even Celebrities check on their own fan boards or IMDB commentary here and there, it's human nature.

Not sure about current players, yet we all know, first hand, several players' parents have lurked on this board over the years.

And numerous former players read this board, a few even post and have usernames.

Keep that in mind.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but did anyone else notice that Gonzaga had no offensive rebounds in the first 10 minutes? That's ZERO!

Wow! Just WOW.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    We say this in jest, understandably so, yet I do know of one Asst Coach who checks this board from time to time.

Mostly in the off season, & mostly for downtime entertainment, but it was mentioned to me fairly recently.

Even Celebrities check on their own fan boards or IMDB commentary here and there, it's human nature.

Not sure about current players, yet we all know, first hand, several players' parents have lurked on this board over the years.

And numerous former players read this board, some even post and have usernames.

Keep that in mind.
    I know of at least one former player, while he was playing, knew me by my name here in the forum.

So yes, the players DO read this forum, and I assume that current players still do.

Quote Originally Posted by PCZ_Frites View Post
    Using KenPom and Net as a guide, Denver would finish 10th of 11, edging out Portland.

I'm grateful we only play Portland once this year.
    I bet they are better than Pepperdine as well and probably Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    The WCC will feel like the BIG EAST compared to these four end of the OOC cupcakes. Really piss poor scheduling.
    You really can find a dark cloud in every silver lining. You were conspicuously absent from the game thread, were things going too well that you couldn't justify #####ing and moaning?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but did anyone else notice that Gonzaga had no offensive rebounds in the first 10 minutes? That's ZERO!

That could be a troubling stat except for the counterpoint that there were no offensive rebounds to be had! ZERO missed shots in the first 10 minutes.

Wow! Just WOW.
    You ruin the joke when you have to explain it. Just saying. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I know of at least one former player, while he was playing, knew me by my name here in the forum.

So yes, the players DO read this forum, and I assume that current players still do.
    Yep. Can't speak to current players, but I know for a fact one current coach, former players, & players' parents read these boards.

When I was a Gonzaga student (2001-2005), I sat right next to two Zag players in a Computer Systems class, and before every class they would read the GU boards iteration at the time (GUNation, or an earlier scout version).

I would find it entertaining when they would read one of my threads at the time (different username).

You ruin the joke when you have to explain it. Just saying. LOL
    You are right! I edited it out.