Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Myron Medcalf calling out our porous defense

Default Myron Medcalf calling out our porous defense

Since the team's win over Arizona in the Maui Invitational last month, Gonzaga has surrendered 82.8 points per game. North Carolina made 55 percent of its shots outside the paint on Saturday, per ESPN Stats & Info. The Bulldogs have a fleet of playmakers, but a Gonzaga team that started the day ranked first in adjusted offensive efficiency on KenPom.com has failed to play with the defensive discipline that fueled its predecessors.
    Gonzaga's rise from mid-major king to perennial national power is tied to its defensive ascent. The Bulldogs have finished within the top 30 in adjusted defensive efficiency on KenPom.com the past six seasons, a stretch that featured an Elite Eight run in 2015 and an appearance in the national title game in 2017.

They've lost that defensive mojo. Before Saturday, Gonzaga had not allowed 100-plus points in regulation since a 2007 road loss to Virginia.

This is unlike Mark Few's program. Yes, the eventual returns of Tillie and Crandall should help. But the team's defensive lapses have followed the Bulldogs all season. Those problems cost them a neutral-site win when they squandered a late lead against Tennessee last weekend in Phoenix, and they were never competitive Saturday against North Carolina, which made 52 percent of its 3-pointers.

Gonzaga won't compete for a national title unless the team addresses its defensive problems.
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...cuse-concerned
    Last edited by RenoZag; 12-16-2018 at 12:58 PM.

I read that this afternoon, too, and I thought it was pretty convincing. I have been more and more impressed with our defense these last several years, and it is the thing I believe is holding us back from reaching our potential (above injuries, obviously) right now.

I really didn't get to see much from Crandall, but I've seen other posters who are hopeful he can be a boon to our defense when he returns. Obviously Tillie will help, too. We have a lot of time to grow, but I do worry that we will be training against WCC opponents, most of whom are not high caliber teams.

Shhh you'll offend people.
    Love the zags for life

Indeed. That sky is cracking wide open. Don’t look.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Shhh you'll offend people.

Geno's being injured has hurt the perimeter defense.
    It's not funny.

Poor defense is in part due to lack of depth. I’m not worried.... yet. (Although I have thought since the pre-season that a lack of a Karnowski-like presence in the middle is keeping this from being a complete team).

OK, but nothing new! A quick look at posts on this board, game thread and post game, affirmed the lack of D, not only for the NC game but as a precursor for the season to come.

The question remains. Can the Zags get good enough on D to beat the Dukes, Tennessee’s, NC’s and Kansas’ of this world.
    That IS THE Question!

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    OK, but nothing new! A quick look at posts on this board, game thread and post game, affirmed the lack of D, not only for the NC game but as a precursor for the season to come.

The question remains. Can the Zags get good enough on D to beat the Dukes, Tennessee’s, NC’s and Kansas’ of this world.
    That IS THE Question!
    Not if our starters continue to average 30+ minutes a game. It's a long season, and fatigue leads to mental errors as the game gets down to crunch time. Getting Killian and Geno back soon will solidify the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Poor defense is in part due to lack of depth. I’m not worried.... yet. (Although I have thought since the pre-season that a lack of a Karnowski-like presence in the middle is keeping this from being a complete team).
    So have I, and posted it as well. Nicknamed Karno “The Presence” simply because his presence, in, of and by itself changed
    Everything. Remember the line, “You need taxi fare to get around him.” We do miss that........ a lot.

Zags yielding 78.8 Ppg.Ranked 305th in points allowed. This article was published earlier in the post game thoughts.

duh

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Geno's being injured has hurt the perimeter defense.
    As I've posted ad nauseum, Geno was instantly our best, most creative defender on the perimeter.

His ball handling is suspect, but he gets in a defensive stance and commits to plugging the lane.

He is a pretty good slasher too.

If his shooting comes around, will be such a difference maker by season's end.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    As I've posted ad nauseum, Geno was instantly our best, most creative defender on the perimeter.

His ball handling is suspect, but he gets in a defensive stance and commits to plugging the lane.

He is a pretty good slasher too.

If his shooting comes around, will be such a difference maker by season's end.
    I thought you said you were done posting until...........!? Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    So have I, and posted it as well. Nicknamed Karno “The Presence” simply because his presence, in, of and by itself changed
    Everything. Remember the line, “You need taxi fare to get around him.” We do miss that........ a lot.
    Agreed. Even JW3’s contributions would be welcome right now.

We just need to get in position under the basket. We need to get in front of the ball. We need to follow for 2nd chance opportunities. We need to communicate.

Race horse basketball is a winning strategy, until it isn't. The power of prayer is apparently overestimated against the good three point shooting teams. I am glad I am in Italy and don't have to watch. Congrats on the Duke game incidentally.

And the Creighton game?

Quote Originally Posted by siliconzag View Post
    Race horse basketball is a winning strategy, until it isn't. The power of prayer is apparently overestimated against the good three point shooting teams. I am glad I am in Italy and don't have to watch. Congrats on the Duke game incidentally.

I'm not sure how much hope to place on Tillie and Crandall returning. When he has been healthy, Tillie has been a middling defender prone to great efforts and then lapsing into indifference at other times.

We haven't seen enough of Crandall to really know how to assess him-especially vs high level players.

Clarke is a high level defender and so is Josh. Rui is a work in progress and Kispert is mostly a defensive liability. Norvell can lock people down but needs to commit to it every possession.

One thing that is definitely true is that fewer minutes for starters with a healthy bench means everybody is fresher at the end of games. We looked gassed at the end of the Tennessee game. However, against UNC, we looked soft from the opening tip. Nice that we turned them over as much as we did but hard to tell if that was more about them being sloppy or us getting after them.

With the current level of defense we are a sweet 16 team. If Few can get them straightened out, we are as good as anybody out there.

ZZ

I’d like to see a lineup of Josh, Zach, Rui, Clarke and Petrusev get some run to see if a lineup like that would work when Tillie returns.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

He's not wrong. When was the last time an away put up 90 points at Chapel Hill and lost?

I understand being beaten in individual matchups from time to time but the poor defensive rotations and the collective lack of interest in playing up on the 3-point shooters is what has been so painful to watch. The good news is that those things should be correctable.

Agreed. Even JW3’s contributions would be welcome right now.
    Right! Both his attitude and his play.

Creighton is an inexperienced team with no inside presence Jazz. [Preseason Rating 8th in the Big East) Jays are just learning to play together. 1 junior and four sophomores. They also suffer from inconsistent defense. Not sure if they have a shot but with Nova down it looks to me they do and if so, assuming no more injuries they are potentially a threat March. Anyway, good to hear from you, even with the apparent snark. Buon Natale a te e Zitat la famiglia. Sili. PS I think Marquette may be BA big threat to Villanova this year.

Forza, Juve. No snark. So no Vinci Avalon this year? Buono Natale

Quote Originally Posted by siliconzag View Post
    Creighton is an inexperienced team with no inside presence Jazz. [Preseason Rating 8th in the Big East) Jays are just learning to play together. 1 junior and four sophomores. They also suffer from inconsistent defense. Not sure if they have a shot but with Nova down it looks to me they do and if so, assuming no more injuries they are potentially a threat March. Anyway, good to hear from you, even with the apparent snark. Buon Natale a te e Zitat la famiglia. Sili. PS I think Marquette may be BA big threat to Villanova this year.

I understand being beaten in individual matchups from time to time but the poor defensive rotations and the collective lack of interest in playing up on the 3-point shooters is what has been so painful to watch. The good news is that those things should be correctable.
    Correct. Sometimes (in my ignorance I suppose) I just can’t believe how far off our guys play D on perimeter shooters. Collapsing to the middle is one thing, but this “Long Distant D” will get us a return flight home from The Dance a lot sooner than I think any of us want to see.