Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Myron Medcalf calling out our porous defense

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,534

    Default Myron Medcalf calling out our porous defense

    Since the team's win over Arizona in the Maui Invitational last month, Gonzaga has surrendered 82.8 points per game. North Carolina made 55 percent of its shots outside the paint on Saturday, per ESPN Stats & Info. The Bulldogs have a fleet of playmakers, but a Gonzaga team that started the day ranked first in adjusted offensive efficiency on KenPom.com has failed to play with the defensive discipline that fueled its predecessors.
    Gonzaga's rise from mid-major king to perennial national power is tied to its defensive ascent. The Bulldogs have finished within the top 30 in adjusted defensive efficiency on KenPom.com the past six seasons, a stretch that featured an Elite Eight run in 2015 and an appearance in the national title game in 2017.

    They've lost that defensive mojo. Before Saturday, Gonzaga had not allowed 100-plus points in regulation since a 2007 road loss to Virginia.

    This is unlike Mark Few's program. Yes, the eventual returns of Tillie and Crandall should help. But the team's defensive lapses have followed the Bulldogs all season. Those problems cost them a neutral-site win when they squandered a late lead against Tennessee last weekend in Phoenix, and they were never competitive Saturday against North Carolina, which made 52 percent of its 3-pointers.

    Gonzaga won't compete for a national title unless the team addresses its defensive problems.
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...cuse-concerned
    Last edited by RenoZag; 12-16-2018 at 12:58 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    519

    Default

    I read that this afternoon, too, and I thought it was pretty convincing. I have been more and more impressed with our defense these last several years, and it is the thing I believe is holding us back from reaching our potential (above injuries, obviously) right now.

    I really didn't get to see much from Crandall, but I've seen other posters who are hopeful he can be a boon to our defense when he returns. Obviously Tillie will help, too. We have a lot of time to grow, but I do worry that we will be training against WCC opponents, most of whom are not high caliber teams.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    5,753

    Default

    Shhh you'll offend people.
    Love the zags for life

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,638

    Default

    Indeed. That sky is cracking wide open. Don’t look.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Shhh you'll offend people.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,356

    Default

    Geno's being injured has hurt the perimeter defense.
    It's not funny.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,082

    Default

    Poor defense is in part due to lack of depth. I’m not worried.... yet. (Although I have thought since the pre-season that a lack of a Karnowski-like presence in the middle is keeping this from being a complete team).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    OK, but nothing new! A quick look at posts on this board, game thread and post game, affirmed the lack of D, not only for the NC game but as a precursor for the season to come.

    The question remains. Can the Zags get good enough on D to beat the Dukes, Tennessee’s, NC’s and Kansas’ of this world.
    That IS THE Question!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    OK, but nothing new! A quick look at posts on this board, game thread and post game, affirmed the lack of D, not only for the NC game but as a precursor for the season to come.

    The question remains. Can the Zags get good enough on D to beat the Dukes, Tennessee’s, NC’s and Kansas’ of this world.
    That IS THE Question!
    Not if our starters continue to average 30+ minutes a game. It's a long season, and fatigue leads to mental errors as the game gets down to crunch time. Getting Killian and Geno back soon will solidify the rotation.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Poor defense is in part due to lack of depth. I’m not worried.... yet. (Although I have thought since the pre-season that a lack of a Karnowski-like presence in the middle is keeping this from being a complete team).
    So have I, and posted it as well. Nicknamed Karno “The Presence” simply because his presence, in, of and by itself changed
    Everything. Remember the line, “You need taxi fare to get around him.” We do miss that........ a lot.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,631

    Default

    Zags yielding 78.8 Ppg.Ranked 305th in points allowed. This article was published earlier in the post game thoughts.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,300

    Default

    duh

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Geno's being injured has hurt the perimeter defense.
    As I've posted ad nauseum, Geno was instantly our best, most creative defender on the perimeter.

    His ball handling is suspect, but he gets in a defensive stance and commits to plugging the lane.

    He is a pretty good slasher too.

    If his shooting comes around, will be such a difference maker by season's end.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    As I've posted ad nauseum, Geno was instantly our best, most creative defender on the perimeter.

    His ball handling is suspect, but he gets in a defensive stance and commits to plugging the lane.

    He is a pretty good slasher too.

    If his shooting comes around, will be such a difference maker by season's end.
    I thought you said you were done posting until...........!? Welcome back!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    So have I, and posted it as well. Nicknamed Karno “The Presence” simply because his presence, in, of and by itself changed
    Everything. Remember the line, “You need taxi fare to get around him.” We do miss that........ a lot.
    Agreed. Even JW3’s contributions would be welcome right now.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    536

    Default

    We just need to get in position under the basket. We need to get in front of the ball. We need to follow for 2nd chance opportunities. We need to communicate.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massaciuccoli, Italy
    Posts
    959

    Default

    Race horse basketball is a winning strategy, until it isn't. The power of prayer is apparently overestimated against the good three point shooting teams. I am glad I am in Italy and don't have to watch. Congrats on the Duke game incidentally.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,638

    Default

    And the Creighton game?

    Quote Originally Posted by siliconzag View Post
    Race horse basketball is a winning strategy, until it isn't. The power of prayer is apparently overestimated against the good three point shooting teams. I am glad I am in Italy and don't have to watch. Congrats on the Duke game incidentally.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,418

    Default

    I'm not sure how much hope to place on Tillie and Crandall returning. When he has been healthy, Tillie has been a middling defender prone to great efforts and then lapsing into indifference at other times.

    We haven't seen enough of Crandall to really know how to assess him-especially vs high level players.

    Clarke is a high level defender and so is Josh. Rui is a work in progress and Kispert is mostly a defensive liability. Norvell can lock people down but needs to commit to it every possession.

    One thing that is definitely true is that fewer minutes for starters with a healthy bench means everybody is fresher at the end of games. We looked gassed at the end of the Tennessee game. However, against UNC, we looked soft from the opening tip. Nice that we turned them over as much as we did but hard to tell if that was more about them being sloppy or us getting after them.

    With the current level of defense we are a sweet 16 team. If Few can get them straightened out, we are as good as anybody out there.

    ZZ

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Greenville, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    I’d like to see a lineup of Josh, Zach, Rui, Clarke and Petrusev get some run to see if a lineup like that would work when Tillie returns.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    766

    Default

    He's not wrong. When was the last time an away put up 90 points at Chapel Hill and lost?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,082

    Default

    I understand being beaten in individual matchups from time to time but the poor defensive rotations and the collective lack of interest in playing up on the 3-point shooters is what has been so painful to watch. The good news is that those things should be correctable.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Agreed. Even JW3’s contributions would be welcome right now.
    Right! Both his attitude and his play.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massaciuccoli, Italy
    Posts
    959

    Default

    Creighton is an inexperienced team with no inside presence Jazz. [Preseason Rating 8th in the Big East) Jays are just learning to play together. 1 junior and four sophomores. They also suffer from inconsistent defense. Not sure if they have a shot but with Nova down it looks to me they do and if so, assuming no more injuries they are potentially a threat March. Anyway, good to hear from you, even with the apparent snark. Buon Natale a te e Zitat la famiglia. Sili. PS I think Marquette may be BA big threat to Villanova this year.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,638

    Default

    Forza, Juve. No snark. So no Vinci Avalon this year? Buono Natale


    Quote Originally Posted by siliconzag View Post
    Creighton is an inexperienced team with no inside presence Jazz. [Preseason Rating 8th in the Big East) Jays are just learning to play together. 1 junior and four sophomores. They also suffer from inconsistent defense. Not sure if they have a shot but with Nova down it looks to me they do and if so, assuming no more injuries they are potentially a threat March. Anyway, good to hear from you, even with the apparent snark. Buon Natale a te e Zitat la famiglia. Sili. PS I think Marquette may be BA big threat to Villanova this year.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I understand being beaten in individual matchups from time to time but the poor defensive rotations and the collective lack of interest in playing up on the 3-point shooters is what has been so painful to watch. The good news is that those things should be correctable.
    Correct. Sometimes (in my ignorance I suppose) I just can’t believe how far off our guys play D on perimeter shooters. Collapsing to the middle is one thing, but this “Long Distant D” will get us a return flight home from The Dance a lot sooner than I think any of us want to see.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •