• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thespywhozaggedme
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

Myron Medcalf calling out our porous defense

Since the team's win over Arizona in the Maui Invitational last month, Gonzaga has surrendered 82.8 points per game. North Carolina made 55 percent of its shots outside the paint on Saturday, per ESPN Stats & Info. The Bulldogs have a fleet of playmakers, but a Gonzaga team that started the day ranked first in adjusted offensive efficiency on KenPom.com has failed to play with the defensive discipline that fueled its predecessors.
    Gonzaga's rise from mid-major king to perennial national power is tied to its defensive ascent. The Bulldogs have finished within the top 30 in adjusted defensive efficiency on KenPom.com the past six seasons, a stretch that featured an Elite Eight run in 2015 and an appearance in the national title game in 2017.

They've lost that defensive mojo. Before Saturday, Gonzaga had not allowed 100-plus points in regulation since a 2007 road loss to Virginia.

This is unlike Mark Few's program. Yes, the eventual returns of Tillie and Crandall should help. But the team's defensive lapses have followed the Bulldogs all season. Those problems cost them a neutral-site win when they squandered a late lead against Tennessee last weekend in Phoenix, and they were never competitive Saturday against North Carolina, which made 52 percent of its 3-pointers.

Gonzaga won't compete for a national title unless the team addresses its defensive problems.
    The Bulldogs couldn't defend against North Carolina on Saturday. The Bruins and Orange were surprised at home.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 12-16-2018, 12:58 PM.
  • WBM
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Oct 2013

I read that this afternoon, too, and I thought it was pretty convincing. I have been more and more impressed with our defense these last several years, and it is the thing I believe is holding us back from reaching our potential (above injuries, obviously) right now.

I really didn't get to see much from Crandall, but I've seen other posters who are hopeful he can be a boon to our defense when he returns. Obviously Tillie will help, too. We have a lot of time to grow, but I do worry that we will be training against WCC opponents, most of whom are not high caliber teams.

Comment

• Zags11
      Banned
      • Mar 2008

Shhh you'll offend people.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Indeed. That sky is cracking wide open. Don’t look.

Originally posted by Zags11 View Post
        Shhh you'll offend people.

Comment

• willandi
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

Geno's being injured has hurt the perimeter defense.
          Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2008

Poor defense is in part due to lack of depth. I’m not worried.... yet. (Although I have thought since the pre-season that a lack of a Karnowski-like presence in the middle is keeping this from being a complete team).

Comment

• MontanaCoyote
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2015

OK, but nothing new! A quick look at posts on this board, game thread and post game, affirmed the lack of D, not only for the NC game but as a precursor for the season to come.

The question remains. Can the Zags get good enough on D to beat the Dukes, Tennessee’s, NC’s and Kansas’ of this world.
              That IS THE Question!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
                OK, but nothing new! A quick look at posts on this board, game thread and post game, affirmed the lack of D, not only for the NC game but as a precursor for the season to come.

The question remains. Can the Zags get good enough on D to beat the Dukes, Tennessee’s, NC’s and Kansas’ of this world.
                That IS THE Question!
                Not if our starters continue to average 30+ minutes a game. It's a long season, and fatigue leads to mental errors as the game gets down to crunch time. Getting Killian and Geno back soon will solidify the rotation.

Comment

• MontanaCoyote
                  Zag for Life
                  • Dec 2015

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                  Poor defense is in part due to lack of depth. I’m not worried.... yet. (Although I have thought since the pre-season that a lack of a Karnowski-like presence in the middle is keeping this from being a complete team).
                  So have I, and posted it as well. Nicknamed Karno “The Presence” simply because his presence, in, of and by itself changed
                  Everything. Remember the line, “You need taxi fare to get around him.” We do miss that........ a lot.

Comment

• MDABE80
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Zags yielding 78.8 Ppg.Ranked 305th in points allowed. This article was published earlier in the post game thoughts.

Comment

• bartruff1
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2010

duh

Comment

• raise the zag
                        Zag for Life
                        • May 2011

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                        Geno's being injured has hurt the perimeter defense.
                        As I've posted ad nauseum, Geno was instantly our best, most creative defender on the perimeter.

His ball handling is suspect, but he gets in a defensive stance and commits to plugging the lane.

He is a pretty good slasher too.

If his shooting comes around, will be such a difference maker by season's end.

Comment

• MontanaCoyote
                          Zag for Life
                          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by raise the zag View Post
                          As I've posted ad nauseum, Geno was instantly our best, most creative defender on the perimeter.

His ball handling is suspect, but he gets in a defensive stance and commits to plugging the lane.

He is a pretty good slasher too.

If his shooting comes around, will be such a difference maker by season's end.
                          I thought you said you were done posting until...........!? Welcome back!

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
                            So have I, and posted it as well. Nicknamed Karno “The Presence” simply because his presence, in, of and by itself changed
                            Everything. Remember the line, “You need taxi fare to get around him.” We do miss that........ a lot.
                            Agreed. Even JW3’s contributions would be welcome right now.

Comment

• Outraged
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Feb 2007

We just need to get in position under the basket. We need to get in front of the ball. We need to follow for 2nd chance opportunities. We need to communicate.

Comment

Working...
                              X