Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 151 to 172 of 172

Thread: Zags vs NC Post Game thoughts.

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,958

    Default

    In this thread the problem has been identified. Few knows it too. All media knows it. Few will do something. We'll win the WCC and this team has a full 2/3rds of the season left to figure out defense and buy into the schema. Go Zags! W
    There's always redemption.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    I agree with this too...dont give me the "finals week" speech, its weak and overplayed
    Good lord. Talk about overreacting on a board. Y’all really need to get s grip. They lost a neutral site game and a road game versus top ten teams (more or less). They did this while missing two of their top seven players. Sure there are things to work on but it’s December...too much attacking of players, coaches, and posters.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Good lord. Talk about overreacting on a board. Y’all really need to get s grip. They lost a neutral site game and a road game versus top ten teams (more or less). They did this while missing two of their top seven players. Sure there are things to work on but it’s December...too much attacking of players, coaches, and posters.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Huh?....I think we agree and you quoted the wrong person
    I am working on being a more all around square.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    With yesterday's loss, the Zags plummeted all the way down to #6 in KenPom.

    Seems some don't remember the committee DOES factor in losses with key players injured (I'd say Tillie .... Top 50 Wooden Watch/Top 20 Jabbar candidate) and 5th year Senior Crandall qualify as "key" players).

    The nice thing about the WCC being the #7 conference in the nation (1st outside of the big 6) is that there will be 10+ games in the upcoming schedule against Top 80 teams in the nation.

    Sure hate to throw cold water on all the "The Sky is Falling !!!" "The Sky is Falling !!! folks (i.e. you, Jazz) but all is not as gloomy as it may appear.
    Drop the mic...this is a winner
    I am working on being a more all around square.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    Huh?....I think we agree and you quoted the wrong person
    Yeah. I wasn’t trying to quote anyone and once posted I couldn’t edit in phone app


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    In this thread the problem has been identified. Few knows it too. All media knows it. Few will do something. We'll win the WCC and this team has a full 2/3rds of the season left to figure out defense and buy into the schema. Go Zags! W
    There's always redemption.
    +1

  7. #157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Karno also didn't get tons of boards but cleared the path. Clarke did the same but Rui didnt capitalize on a lot.
    clarke did the same as karno??? please...clarke is very similar to rui...depends on his athleticism to get rebounds. he gets his boards by flying into the paint, not from blocking out. karno was a space eater...clarke is a slim jim who only grabbed 3 boards. rui didn't play great by any means, but he was better on the glass than clarke.

    and for all the free petrusev folks...i agree he needs more time, but in this game he played 11 minutes and didn't grab a single rebound, which was the number one reason the zags lost. he also can't guards bigs who play on the perimeter.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,536

    Default

    Perkins said,

    “And we have to fix this rebounding thing, too. They were plus 20, which is unacceptable. That’s a collective effort one through five.”
    per Meehan article.

    Getting beat by +22 on the boards is embarrassing, and subsequently hurting our defense, in transition points or shots..

    Several of Vols & Tarheel 3's were taken in wide open transition opportunities.

    Whiffed rebounds lead to fast break 3's.

    Most of them simply effort related, watching the shot and not boxing out.

    Rui a good leaper but rarely finds a man and boxes out. Kispert does, and occasionally Clarke. Rui almost never. You can see how excited he gets at the chance of getting the ball on offense again. Almost invites the opponent to shoot, goes through the motions on defense, kinda like his phantom screens.

    Scoring mentality, as this teams has, but this must change.

    Or else we will be toast come Tourney time.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    624

    Default

    To all the folks calling out Rui or Clarke or Kispert for poor boxouts and positioning, can you point to any specific plays?

    Here's a condensed version of the game.

    I saw a sloppy game all around, with UNC giving up a ton of TOs and Gonzaga losing badly on the boards and second chance points. But I didn't see 40 minutes of domination or one team dictating things for the entire time. In terms of actual game flow and the score, the game was basically played dead even from 10 minutes onward. At that point UNC already had gained a 10 point lead, and they kept a ~10pt lead for the remaining 3/4th of the game.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    This is your exact quote: Josh was thoroughly outplayed by white.....a freshman.....thoroughly.

    Unless you're under the impression that the word "thoroughly" means worse than you were wrong. Just admit that you wrote that out of emotion and made a mistake instead of trying to defend it. I'm the king of making absurd, emotional posts, I know from whence I speak.
    I thought Perkins played great. Twice he had two quick baskets to get GU back in the game. He just had no one else to help him out and he was trying to do too much by himself which lead to some poor turnovers.

    Bad defense, even worse rebounding. That was the problem, not Perkins.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kettle Falls
    Posts
    683

    Default

    I have to think that Rue and Clarke played knowing the team could not afford for them to foul out of the game. Crashing the boards for rebounds often leads to ticky-tac fouls that can go either way, and they played defensively with that in mind.
    "Neck-ties are just maxi pads for your throat." - Ted Williams

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Posts
    1,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robzagnut View Post
    I thought Perkins played great. Twice he had two quick baskets to get GU back in the game. He just had no one else to help him out and he was trying to do too much by himself which lead to some poor turnovers.

    Bad defense, even worse rebounding. That was the problem, not Perkins.
    I was at the game and people were commenting how good Perks looked. He had some great moves with the ball and had more than one fan tap me and say “damn, that kid is good” or words to that effect. I thought he kept us in the game and had a couple of big shots to quiet the crowd when they were pulling away. God that place was loud!!

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    I was at the game and people were commenting how good Perks looked. He had some great moves with the ball and had more than one fan tap me and say “damn, that kid is good” or words to that effect. I thought he kept us in the game and had a couple of big shots to quiet the crowd when they were pulling away. God that place was loud!!


    Agreed - Josh looked great apart from a couple sloppy TOs. I'm sure it was a really tense environment and at some point he must have realized that he'd need to shoulder a larger part of the load to get his team back into it, so even those couple TOs are understandable.

    Before the game I thought if Josh scored 10+ then we'd win. He score 20 and we weren't really even close.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    To all the folks calling out Rui or Clarke or Kispert for poor boxouts and positioning, can you point to any specific plays?

    Here's a condensed version of the game.

    I saw a sloppy game all around, with UNC giving up a ton of TOs and Gonzaga losing badly on the boards and second chance points. But I didn't see 40 minutes of domination or one team dictating things for the entire time. In terms of actual game flow and the score, the game was basically played dead even from 10 minutes onward. At that point UNC already had gained a 10 point lead, and they kept a ~10pt lead for the remaining 3/4th of the game.

    Kispert boxes out. Rui does not. Clarke does sometimes but still relies on his leaping more and that hurts him against teams like UNC. Hard to point out in the condensed game because that shows mostly all the makes. If you want to see the first of many backbreaking posessions as we tried to fight back go to 6:40 of the video. Perkins had just scored 8 straight to cut it from 17 to 9 and we give up on offensive board then leave a guy that was already hot and had hit 4 from 3 point land wide open. I believe he also took the first shot that was rebounded that posession and was just as open.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,409

    Default

    You guys notice that all these defensive woes begin the moment Geno got hurt? You think the coaches began some form of lineup triage where the defense suffers to save fouls, but the upshot of that is we basically have to outscore opponents until we get our players back?
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

  16. #166
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    You guys notice that all these defensive woes begin the moment Geno got hurt? You think the coaches began some form of lineup triage where the defense suffers to save fouls, but the upshot of that is we basically have to outscore opponents until we get our players back?
    Geno a pesky defender. Can get overwhelmed by bigger guards yet quick hands, aggressive, creative, & and the only one who gets down in a defensive stance...not just shuffle side to side like some.

    Not to mention Geno a terrific communicator on the floor, esp defensively. Always calling out his movements, switches, & anticipating.

    Makes a difference.

    Our current group lacks the communication, they learned a lot from Geno's style and fundamental.

    He simply added to the rotation and depth as well, which translates to more aggressive defense, more risks, & less fatigue.

    All areas will improve once Geno returns. His 10-15 mins are so important, domino effect.

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,491

    Default

    YES! I agree about Gino's absence! With his absence the coaches have got the primary players functioning in a very tentative mode, particularly on D. There are many factors to our present situation as have been pointed out but I think that is the most important. Although he is a talented guy, its primarily just his absence that has everyone snakebit.

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,546

    Default

    One last thing on Rui, obviously had his worst game of the season so far, obviously needs serious work on defense.

    Absolutely positively not buying that he "plays terrible against big athletic players" because he played great against Duke, and they ain't a bunch of walk ons.

    One other thing, I have never ever seen a kid make more progress over such a short time. Basketball not being a super sport in Japan likely lead to some relatively weak coaching.

    What I'm trying to say is that there is every reason to believe that more focus coaching up his defensive ability is near guaranteed to lead to much improved defense even over the course of 2/3 of a season.

    This player is very very special in his commitment to the team concept and personal development and I just wince hearing some unmitigated bashing of him, despite the fact he obviously needs a lot of work on it.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    915

    Default

    ...the biggest thing I take away is that NONE of the current Zags are really ready for the NBA...Norvell, Clarke, and even Rui would be better served to work on their defense for another year to get ready for the next level!
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post
    ...the biggest thing I take away is that NONE of the current Zags are really ready for the NBA...Norvell, Clarke, and even Rui would be better served to work on their defense for another year to get ready for the next level!
    Rui's a lottery pick though, and Clarke would be a 24 yr old rookie if he stayed another year. Agree Norvell should come back and improve his decision making, i.e. what a good shot is.

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,036

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post
    ...the biggest thing I take away is that NONE of the current Zags are really ready for the NBA...Norvell, Clarke, and even Rui would be better served to work on their defense for another year to get ready for the next level!
    Good quote. It’s like Josh Billings said; “It’s not what people know that’s a problem, it’s what the know that ain’t so.”

    I wear this button; “Never have so many known so little about so much.”

    There you go.
    MC

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    182

    Default

    I am trying to put two and two together here. I was at the game in NYC where they got beat somewhat similarly by Villanova, who went on to win the NCAA's. It was a terrible game for us. We were listless and didn't play much defense. Sounds familiar. I, to a certain extent, attributed this to the fact that they had to cross three time zones and did not have time to adjust. This is always a problem since every team flies in the day before. The same thing with UNC. And as I recall we have had problems going all the way East when were in the Tourney (Davidson, Syracuse and who else???) This has not been a problem of recent vintage since we have been getting relatively high seeds and are closer to home. SOO. Lets not get demoralized over the loss and go on. They looked like a totally different team against Denver so maybe this is a good analysis. Happy New Years to all and of course Merry Christmas. We are down in South Florida now and its very strange sweating in shorts in late December. But I'll take it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •