Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zags vs NC Post Game thoughts.

Default Zags vs NC Post Game thoughts.

NC 103
    Zags 90

Um......Embarrassing on the court on the defensive side and rebounding. We need a defensive game plan.

Yuck. The defense was atrocious and the defensive game plan was poor. Im not shocked when we lose from a opponent going off from three. The only year was with karno in the middle during title run. The defensive rotation was pretty bad as well.

Rui was poor vs another athletic team that has speed and power like him. He seems to struggle vs them. Rui also didnt crash the boards with any physical play consistently and is lazy at rebounding. Players like his stature and speed hurt him on boards. He is very good but until he shows up consistently verse these type of teams its what it is. (He is a lotto pick) Rui got points when game was done.

Zach is cold too much to start games and wasnt on today. He missed some lay ins as well. He did some unforced turnovers. Somehow, Zags need to get him some chippies to start the game. I feel this will make him go.

However the main, main and main issue was this. Overall the team and Few had zero defense and didnt rebound tonight. I mean we scored 85+ and lost. It is what it is. We need tillie and crandall back. Bad.

STATS: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=234565
    Last edited by RenoZag; 12-16-2018 at 07:08 AM.
    Love the zags for life

neither clarke or rui are good rebounders...they depend too much on their athleticism so when they are matched up with similar athletes they often get exposed...players with better fundamentals will always outrebound them. luke maye alone had 16 in the game...rui had 7 and clarke only 3.

No tough shots of the opponent, no rebounds, no reason for winning
    Japanese fan

UNC Shot the lights out. When you shoot the lights out, the other team can't get rebounds. The only problem with the rebounding is the number of offensive rebounds given up.

When a team shoots 13 of 25 from 3, and most contested (not all, but most), it's extremely difficult to win.

Given the situation, at UNC, just finished finals, traveled across the country, UNC shoots the lights out.....and only lose by 13? It's disappointing to lose, but with everything, it could have, or should have been much worse. GU never quit!

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Mistakes everytime the Zags made a run

Poor coaching

Lack of hustle and play from the bigs

Great play by UNC all game

Not a great combination. Hopefully they are embarrassed and urged to learn from this.

Zags score 90 and lost by double digits.

Let that sink in.
    Love the zags for life

3 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    UNC Shot the lights out. When you shoot the lights out, the other team can't get rebounds. The only problem with the rebounding is the number of offensive rebounds given up.

When a team shoots 13 of 25 from 3, and most contested (not all, but most), it's extremely difficult to win.

Given the situation, at UNC, just finished finals, traveled across the country, UNC shoots the lights out.....and only lose by 13? It's disappointing to lose, but with everything, it could have, or should have been much worse. GU never quit!
    Stop being so reasonable. The sky is falling!!!

Are we really doing consolation prizes for that performance? lol

My question is this: Why can't Rui, Petrusev, and Clarke play at the same time when we are getting beat that bad on the boards? Not like our guards are defending the 3 point line....

Quickest I've ever hit erase on the DVR. IMO, we handled our OOC pretty damn well...we'll be there in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    NC 103
    Zags 90

Um......Embarrassing on the court on the defensive side and rebounding. We need a defensive game plan.

Yuck. The defense was atrocious and the defensive game plan was poor. Im not shocked when we lose from a opponent going off from three. The only year was with karno in the middle during title run. The defensive rotation was pretty bad as well.

Rui was poor vs another athletic team that has speed and power like him. He seems to struggle vs them. Rui also didnt crash the boards with any physical play consistently and is lazy at rebounding. Players like his stature and speed hurt him on boards. He is very good but until he shows up consistently verse these type of teams its what it is. (He is a lotto pick) Rui got points when game was done.

Zach is cold too much to start games and wasnt on today. He missed some lay ins as well. He did some unforced turnovers. Somehow, Zags need to get him some chippies to start the game. I feel this will make him go.

However the main, main and main issue was this. Overall the team and Few had zero defense and didnt rebound tonight. I mean we scored 85+ and lost. It is what it is. We need tillie and crandall back. Bad.
    Pump the brakes Dr Doom. As you point out they are playing without 2 of their top 7. They are also coming off of finals week, which historically is a bad game for the Zags. I would like to see how much they actually practiced this week. They faced a team that had 10 days to prepare, who looked fresh and shot the ball at unreal clip tonight. Zags have plenty to work on and now is the time in the schedule to fix it.
    They will be fine and will not lose more than one game before March. They will be a 1 seed and set for a deep run, if they all get healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Stop being so reasonable. The sky is falling!!!
    haha! One thing that drives me nuts is when people all the sudden have the sky falling and know exactly what's wrong; coaching, effort, this play, that player, blah blah, etc. It's not falling, that's the point. People act like the world is ending, when it's not. People start questioning everything, because of course they know best! (/sarcasm).

Bottom line, if before the season you told me we could get through the nonconf 9-2 at full strength, I’d say pretty good.

9-2 with Tillie and Crandall out? Pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon_zag View Post

My question is this: Why can't Rui, Petrusev, and Clarke play at the same time when we are getting beat that bad on the boards? Not like our guards are defending the 3 point line....
    No consolation...just sensibility. Just being realistic.

Just changing lineups and going three bigs during a game situation like tonight isn't just about doing it because they're big and maybe we can get more rebounds. We don't know if they've actually practiced that rotation in practice. Big games aren't the place for experimenting with new lineups. That could actually cause more problems and confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon_zag View Post

Because the lack your internet warrior toughness. That being said no consolation prizes. But 1 team had 10 days to get ready, the other requires their players to attend class and had to fly across the country to play the game. It does take a toll and was pretty evident in the game. Zags looked tired and that allowed a good team to be great.

Bottom line, if before the season you told me we could get through the nonconf 9-2 at full strength, I’d say pretty good.

What If i told you we were 9-2 after you knew we started 9-0? lol

You mentioned everything I was thinking.

+1

This sums it up. Nobody on this board would have had a bad thing to say in September about 9-2 at this point without Tillie and Crandall.

No consolation...just sensibility. Just being realistic.

Just changing lineups and going three bigs during a game situation like tonight isn't just about doing it because they're big and maybe we can get more rebounds. We don't know if they've actually practiced that rotation in practice. Big games aren't the place for experimenting with new lineups. That could actually cause more problems and confusion.
    and the 2nd half isn't for anyone outside of your top 5 rotation players apparently. That could bite ya

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    Pump the brakes Dr Doom. As you point out they are playing without 2 of their top 7. They are also coming off of finals week, which historically is a bad game for the Zags. I would like to see how much they actually practiced this week. They faced a team that had 10 days to prepare, who looked fresh and shot the ball at unreal clip tonight. Zags have plenty to work on and now is the time in the schedule to fix it.
    They will be fine and will not lose more than one game before March. They will be a 1 seed and set for a deep run, if they all get healthy.
    Dr doom? Vandal i missed you! I agree on all your points.

However, we are speaking on this game. We scored 90 and lost by double digits. We allowed 100+. That is poor defense and poor defensive coaching. A team got hot by 3 and beat us. That isnt a shocker when we lose this way. Few is a great coach but isnt a good defensive game planner.

Rui has issues vs teams like this and honestly he is lazy at crashing the boards and closing out at times. Im more annoyed at the lack of crashing the boards with that size and athleticism.

Please dont come at me as I know your a few can do no wrong type.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    Because the lack your internet warrior toughness. That being said no consolation prizes. But 1 team had 10 days to get ready, the other requires their players to attend class and had to fly across the country to play the game. It does take a toll and was pretty evident in the game. Zags looked tired and that allowed a good team to be great.
    Should have been a post about this before the game so I didn't have to listen to Puke Vitale for 2 hours like that while we took a dump on the court. I didnt know we had no shot at this one because of finals and they had 4 more days off than us :P

No warrior here that was just frustratingly bad, no? Or we are good with teams dropping over 100 on us and putting the walk-ons in? lol

OR 6vs15!
    Japanese fan

haha! One thing that drives me nuts is when people all the sudden have the sky falling and know exactly what's wrong; coaching, effort, this play, that player, blah blah, etc. It's not falling, that's the point. People act like the world is ending, when it's not. People start questioning everything, because of course they know best! (/sarcasm).

Serious question since your one end of the spectrum.

Do you think this was a great defensive effort? Great defensive game plan by few? If so, is 100+ points allowed reasonable?

How about rui? Do you think him standing underneath the basket and allowing numerous second chance points are reasonable as well?

Lastly if as fans we are only able to point out the positive, then when they lose what do we do?

Thanks
    Love the zags for life

- yes embarrassing.............because of the lack of rebounding....dare I say effort? I didn't see any fight for rebounds. unc is not particularly strong or tall, yet.
    - unc could of shot 70% from 3, and we win the game easy, if rebounding was 32 a piece, instead of a 20 margin for unc.

- good game josh, way to bounce back from your last game, give us consistency now, and we and you and coach all three are going to be pleased.

I think we are too easy to prepare for as shallow as we are.