X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LongIslandZagFan
    • Feb 2007

GU vs North Carolina - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

End of finals week... how will our boys react to the loss... the stresses of finals???

What are your thought? What do you hope to see? Expect to See? Predictions?

Have at it boys and girls!
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death
  • willandi
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

85-73 Zags
    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• ZagzKrak
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Apr 2016

93-76 Zags!

Comment

• TheZagPhish
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

(Holy crap, this thread!)

92-89 Zags
        Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• Outraged
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Feb 2007

I expect that Clark won't start and the NC refs won't put two fouls on him in the first two possessions. Our foul shooting won't matter because we won't get any. Foster will have a career day. Ayayi will get his minutes. We will implant more full court press. Hachi will have a career night in assists. Perks will layup at will right down the middle. There will be no problems inbounding the ball. There will be no phantom player to pass to. zags 122 NC 106 DOT.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Zags 97
            Heels 88

This was my TN score prediction, but I ignored the fact Vols pride themselves on D. UNC does not.
            Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• raise the zag
              Zag for Life
              • May 2011

If this game were on neutral court, I think we win by 15.

I expect home cooking by refs and crowd. Heck, even the NCAA cow tows to UNC.

I have to assume the Tarheels will zone. Who wouldn't? Only 2 team have been able to contain our offense, and both employed zone defense.

In the preseason, I expected this team to be the ultimate zone killer. That hasn't been the case. It will be up to our guards, or should I say guard, to try and penetrate or shoot over that zone. Can't rely on the high post every time. Or use baseline action.

They have their own Admiral at small forward as well. We don't have the personel to defend Nassir Little when he is onnthe court. Norvell and Kispert are both tough and fighters but can get lit up defensively, tough match up as Little plays a couple positions. Just another reason Tillie so important, it allows Clarke or Killian to move out & defend a bigger SF vs teams like Tennessee, UNC, et al.

I was much more fearful of Tennessee before and during this season.

I think we match up much better vs UNC.

I sincerely worry about foul issues in Chapel Hill. Roy Williams, combined with blue blood lineage, and UNC history, well, the refs fall for it as well. We might not be allowed to defend them.

Given the home cooking, we will have to win the shoot out.

UNC is Top 5 in points scored too.

If they limit their zone D, and refs don't hound our guys' aggressive post defense, I say...

ZAGS WIN.

besides the one tall awkward ref, they allowed a ton of physical defense and contact in Phoenix. That amazing block by Brandon is a foul in Chapel Hill. Keep that in mind.

Comment

• gueastcoast
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Zags 90
                Heels 80
                Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Comment

• GrizZAG
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2009

Luke May Rui/Clarke will be interesting.
                  Zags make the clutch shots this time
                  Zags 86
                  UNC 82
                  One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• Zaga
                    Bleeds GU Blue
                    • Nov 2010

85-75 Zags

Comment

• stevet75
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Feb 2007

89 - 85 Zags
                      “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

Comment

• Zagger
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2008

Zags 95
                        UNC 75

What do I want to see .... Perkins w/ 20+ points. Same goes for Snax.
                        I believe the Zags want a statement win for Christmas.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                          Zag for Life
                          • Dec 2007

What I'd like to see...

We must find a way to keep Rui's minutes to around ~30.

He played all 40 vs UW, and 35 vs Tennessee.

He has to fight all game long to get open, gain post position, rebound, box out, run the floor, etc.

Of anyone, he has shown he's good for 30-32 minutes, but nothing left in the tank under 2 mins to go. In both the last two games, he has been winded, walking, gassed at the end.

Even if its at the expense of losing some ground for a 5 or 10 minutes at the middle of both halves. Gotta find a way to keep Rui fresh at the end of the game. It made a difference vs Tennessee. He was literally fast walking down the court on those defensive possessions.

He is our PF and C, can't play your bigs 40 mins. Guards or finesse players can get away with it, yet your bigs are constantly fighting/physical/energy at all times -- with or without the ball.

Comment

• MontanaCoyote
                            Zag for Life
                            • Dec 2015

No injuries. Tighter, improved D, especially on 3 ball. Fewer empty possessions.*

* Offensive possessions with no shot (s).

Comment

• theman.themyth.thelegend
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Zagger View Post
                              I believe the Zags want a statement win for Christmas.
                              The team must realize how much is at stake this game. Post season seeding, maintaining Top-5, being taken seriously and/or media perception is huge for recruiting, seeding, etc.

Someone mentioned there is no discernible difference b/w 1-4 seeds. That is bullpucky imho. Playing a #1 seed in Sweet 16, with 1 day prep, is a heckuva lot different than playing a #1 seed in the Final 4, with a week's rest and prep. Not to mention, more difficult games to get the team warmed up and ready, and simply better probability/odds.

This is the biggest game of the year, given the timing, implications, and remaining schedule.

The time is now. I don't want to say its a must win, but pretty darn close given our aspirations and how much we are punished for Conference play. (moreso the better we are)

Comment

Working...
                              X