Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU vs North Carolina - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Default GU vs North Carolina - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

End of finals week... how will our boys react to the loss... the stresses of finals???

What are your thought? What do you hope to see? Expect to See? Predictions?

Have at it boys and girls!
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

85-73 Zags
    It's not funny.

93-76 Zags!

(Holy crap, this thread!)

92-89 Zags
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I expect that Clark won't start and the NC refs won't put two fouls on him in the first two possessions. Our foul shooting won't matter because we won't get any. Foster will have a career day. Ayayi will get his minutes. We will implant more full court press. Hachi will have a career night in assists. Perks will layup at will right down the middle. There will be no problems inbounding the ball. There will be no phantom player to pass to. zags 122 NC 106 DOT.

Zags 97
    Heels 88

This was my TN score prediction, but I ignored the fact Vols pride themselves on D. UNC does not.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

If this game were on neutral court, I think we win by 15.

I expect home cooking by refs and crowd. Heck, even the NCAA cow tows to UNC.

I have to assume the Tarheels will zone. Who wouldn't? Only 2 team have been able to contain our offense, and both employed zone defense.

In the preseason, I expected this team to be the ultimate zone killer. That hasn't been the case. It will be up to our guards, or should I say guard, to try and penetrate or shoot over that zone. Can't rely on the high post every time. Or use baseline action.

They have their own Admiral at small forward as well. We don't have the personel to defend Nassir Little when he is onnthe court. Norvell and Kispert are both tough and fighters but can get lit up defensively, tough match up as Little plays a couple positions. Just another reason Tillie so important, it allows Clarke or Killian to move out & defend a bigger SF vs teams like Tennessee, UNC, et al.

I was much more fearful of Tennessee before and during this season.

I think we match up much better vs UNC.

I sincerely worry about foul issues in Chapel Hill. Roy Williams, combined with blue blood lineage, and UNC history, well, the refs fall for it as well. We might not be allowed to defend them.

Given the home cooking, we will have to win the shoot out.

UNC is Top 5 in points scored too.

If they limit their zone D, and refs don't hound our guys' aggressive post defense, I say...

ZAGS WIN.

besides the one tall awkward ref, they allowed a ton of physical defense and contact in Phoenix. That amazing block by Brandon is a foul in Chapel Hill. Keep that in mind.

Zags 90
    Heels 80
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Luke May Rui/Clarke will be interesting.
    Zags make the clutch shots this time
    Zags 86
    UNC 82
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

85-75 Zags

89 - 85 Zags
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

Zags 95
    UNC 75

What do I want to see .... Perkins w/ 20+ points. Same goes for Snax.
    I believe the Zags want a statement win for Christmas.

Default What I'd like to see...

We must find a way to keep Rui's minutes to around ~30.

He played all 40 vs UW, and 35 vs Tennessee.

He has to fight all game long to get open, gain post position, rebound, box out, run the floor, etc.

Of anyone, he has shown he's good for 30-32 minutes, but nothing left in the tank under 2 mins to go. In both the last two games, he has been winded, walking, gassed at the end.

Even if its at the expense of losing some ground for a 5 or 10 minutes at the middle of both halves. Gotta find a way to keep Rui fresh at the end of the game. It made a difference vs Tennessee. He was literally fast walking down the court on those defensive possessions.

He is our PF and C, can't play your bigs 40 mins. Guards or finesse players can get away with it, yet your bigs are constantly fighting/physical/energy at all times -- with or without the ball.

No injuries. Tighter, improved D, especially on 3 ball. Fewer empty possessions.*

* Offensive possessions with no shot (s).

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    I believe the Zags want a statement win for Christmas.
    The team must realize how much is at stake this game. Post season seeding, maintaining Top-5, being taken seriously and/or media perception is huge for recruiting, seeding, etc.

Someone mentioned there is no discernible difference b/w 1-4 seeds. That is bullpucky imho. Playing a #1 seed in Sweet 16, with 1 day prep, is a heckuva lot different than playing a #1 seed in the Final 4, with a week's rest and prep. Not to mention, more difficult games to get the team warmed up and ready, and simply better probability/odds.

This is the biggest game of the year, given the timing, implications, and remaining schedule.

The time is now. I don't want to say its a must win, but pretty darn close given our aspirations and how much we are punished for Conference play. (moreso the better we are)

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    If this game were on neutral court, I think we win by 15.

I expect home cooking by refs and crowd. Heck, even the NCAA cow tows to UNC.

I have to assume the Tarheels will zone. Who wouldn't? Only 2 team have been able to contain our offense, and both employed zone defense.

In the preseason, I expected this team to be the ultimate zone killer. That hasn't been the case. It will be up to our guards, or should I say guard, to try and penetrate or shoot over that zone. Can't rely on the high post every time. Or use baseline action.

They have their own Admiral at small forward as well. We don't have the personel to defend Nassir Little when he is onnthe court. Norvell and Kispert are both tough and fighters but can get lit up defensively, tough match up as Little plays a couple positions. Just another reason Tillie so important, it allows Clarke or Killian to move out & defend a bigger SF vs teams like Tennessee, UNC, et al.

I was much more fearful of Tennessee before and during this season.

I think we match up much better vs UNC.

I sincerely worry about foul issues in Chapel Hill. Roy Williams, combined with blue blood lineage, and UNC history, well, the refs fall for it as well. We might not be allowed to defend them.

Given the home cooking, we will have to win the shoot out.

UNC is Top 5 in points scored too.

If they limit their zone D, and refs don't hound our guys' aggressive post defense, I say...

ZAGS WIN.

besides the one tall awkward ref, they allowed a ton of physical defense and contact in Phoenix. That amazing block by Brandon is a foul in Chapel Hill. Keep that in mind.
    But the clean block by Rui won't be!
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by theman.themyth.thelegend View Post
    The team must realize how much is at stake this game. Post season seeding, maintaining Top-5, being taken seriously and/or media perception is huge for recruiting, seeding, etc.

Someone mentioned there is no discernible difference b/w 1-4 seeds. That is bullpucky imho. Playing a #1 seed in Sweet 16, with 1 day prep, is a heckuva lot different than playing a #1 seed in the Final 4, with a week's rest and prep. Not to mention, more difficult games to get the team warmed up and ready, and simply better probability/odds.

This is the biggest game of the year, given the timing, implications, and remaining schedule.

The time is now. I don't want to say its a must win, but pretty darn close given our aspirations and how much we are punished for Conference play. (moreso the better we are)
    Great post.

One thing I quibble with, so long as we look good, we will be respected IMO. We earned that with the win over Duke, a team previously thought unbeatable, and we dropped a tight tight one to Tenn, who will be top 5.

True road game is rare, and if we hang with them right up to the end, we will be respected as "Top 10" even in a loss.

A loss, however, means we'd have to run the table (IMO) to get a Number 1 seed, and even then it might be dicey.

Win, however, and we likely can afford a hiccup (which I think is far more likely than not).

It is a "must win" game to lock into the number one seed. One win here and the number one seed is ours to lose, and I agree it is vitally important.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

If losing to Gonzaga was good for Duke, then losing to Tennessee must be REALLY good for Gonzaga.

Zags - 88
    U of NC - 83
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

GU 92-83

that I am packing a jacket to wear because its been snowing in Chapel Hill
    Sporting all zag gear in the house of blue........
    Hoping others are going

Zags win 92-86
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Zags win 101-89

This is a tough one for me... the last couple of games have had some good spurts, but also some bad ones. I do think the amount of playing time to all the starters is starting to catch up to them and, this being in the Dean Dome:

Zags 80
    NC 90

Really hope I'm wrong. I agree with previous posters that this game has big implications on their seeding in the Big Dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    We must find a way to keep Rui's minutes to around ~30.

He played all 40 vs UW, and 35 vs Tennessee.

He has to fight all game long to get open, gain post position, rebound, box out, run the floor, etc.

Of anyone, he has shown he's good for 30-32 minutes, but nothing left in the tank under 2 mins to go. In both the last two games, he has been winded, walking, gassed at the end.

Even if its at the expense of losing some ground for a 5 or 10 minutes at the middle of both halves. Gotta find a way to keep Rui fresh at the end of the game. It made a difference vs Tennessee. He was literally fast walking down the court on those defensive possessions.

He is our PF and C, can't play your bigs 40 mins. Guards or finesse players can get away with it, yet your bigs are constantly fighting/physical/energy at all times -- with or without the ball.
    agree..if Few decides that can't be changed must use timeouts with respect to getting players like Rui/Clarke rest and not save them for end of game needs.

Winning on the road..... especially across the country..... is very difficult.... but Gonzaga is really really good offensively..... if they can make 7-11 threes they could win....it would be a very good win, but I don't see losing this game in Dec as a big deal....offense is fickled…..but.....here is hoping...

90-84 Gonzaga beats the cheaters....

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    agree..if Few decides that can't be changed must use timeouts with respect to getting players like Rui/Clarke rest and not save them for end of game needs.
    I thought Kansas did a nice job of this vs a really good NMSU team.

They were down 6 with 10 mins to go.

They sat their best big, Dedrick Lawson, for around 4 mins. He wasn't playing particularly well prior to that point but he is their most important player, rebounder, defender, scorer, etc.

He came back in the game re energized and fresh legs to the final buzzer.

He proceeded to score 11 straight points, and the game winning bucket to win the game. He was flying high at the end as he was given rest.

This was at the expense of losing a lead, even going down by a handful of points, to keep him fresh.

It paid off, paid dividends.

The entire game was close. NMSU even held the lead with 10 to go.

Lawson's back up is worse than Petrusev.

Coach Few would never have considered subbing if we were down with 10 to go, esp Rui. Not unless he had 4 fouls.

It's gotta change. We simply don't have the energy to close out games.

Obviously it will help once Tillie returns