Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark Few calls out NCAA over scandal

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Agree ...."Two of last 3" is pretty clear.
    I really am proud of Coach Few. The integrity of the college game has suffered immeasurably due to all this corruption. Makes you take a step back from the game in general at times. I hope we all can be proud of the stand Coach Few took here. COURAGE! I hate Emmert and his corrupt BS cartel of Power 5 school Presidents.

Great job Coach! Thx Jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta View Post
    I really am proud of Coach Few. The integrity of the college game has suffered immeasurably due to all this corruption. Makes you take a step back from the game in general at times. I hope we all can be proud of the stand Coach Few took here. COURAGE! I hate Emmert and his corrupt BS cartel of Power 5 school Presidents.

Great job Coach! Thx Jazz.
    when schools like ASU graduates 7800 in a fall ceremony...the cartel is getting stronger every semester.

spoke with a Vol Alum from Spokane at pre game function ...her graduating class was 6200

Few walked back that statement. Said UNC was as ethical as could be.

“North Carolina does it the right way. They’re as ethical as ethical can be.”
    OK we gonna get a walk back on this?

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...national-cham/

I wonder if some on this board will walk their statements back.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I wonder if some on this board will walk their statements back.
    I won't. UNC cheated academically for over 25 years, admitted it and challenged the NCAA to punish them.

Emmert backed down.

They both are cheats.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Not me.....if he was quoted correctly.... his inference that North Carolina was not doing it right was clear..... some reporter should follow up and ask him to comment on the participation of NC basketball players in the academic fraud....if that had happened at Gonzaga ….would he have participated in it ???

Reminds me of the expression that …..a gaff in Washington DC...is when someone tells the truth...

Apparently Few is approving what went on there...lost a lot of respect for him.
    Last edited by bartruff1; 12-11-2018 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I won't. UNC cheated academically for over 25 years, admitted it and challenged the NCAA to punish them.

Emmert backed down.

They both are cheats.
    Agreed.

Roy Williams wasn't buying recruits. There was an institutional academic problem at UNC that involved athletes as well as regular students. This was a wake up call to all programs to audit their independent study classes. I'm not saying there was a significant number of schools that had paper classes like UNC. What I am saying is that the type of problem at UNC could have happened at any large, public school with 30,000 students that has an army of academic advisers who are largely unsupervised by any academic or athletic oversight. They reported it after getting caught. NCAA did nothing. They should have had scholarships stripped, but I think it's completely unfair to paint Williams with the same brush as some of these other coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Roy Williams wasn't buying recruits. There was an institutional academic problem at UNC that involved athletes as well as regular students. This was a wake up call to all programs to audit their independent study classes. I'm not saying there was a significant number of schools that had paper classes like UNC. What I am saying is that the type of problem at UNC could have happened at any large, public school with 30,000 students that has an army of academic advisers who are largely unsupervised by any academic or athletic oversight. They reported it after getting caught. NCAA did nothing. They should have had scholarships stripped, but I think it's completely unfair to paint Williams with the same brush as some of these other coaches.
    While you may be right, please provide a link, other than his own words, to substantiate that Mr Williams was not aware of the situation.

I find it hard to believe that he was totally surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    While you may be right, please provide a link, other than his own words, to substantiate that Mr Williams was not aware of the situation.

I find it hard to believe that he was totally surprised.
    I don't have any insight on the information that head coaches of college programs receive about their players' academic records. My guess is they only hear about academics only if there's an athlete is at risk of not meeting NCAA standards or if someone gets a 4.0, in which case they might get a cake (subject to NCAA rules). My guess is that Roy Williams had the common sense to realize that an independent study class is an easier "A" or "B" or "C+" than freshman calculus. My guess is that Roy Williams and his coaching staff didn't realize that academic advisers were writing papers for students.

I also suspect that when he found out this was happening it was a "Goddammit" moment. My guess is that heads rolled within UNC after everything came to light. In my opinion, as the head of the snake, Williams bears some ceremonial responsibility. They should have had 2-3 scholarships stripped over a 4 year period. That seems fair. But to say that Williams is a crook like other head coaches because of this scandal is a severe overstatement. He recruits the right and legal way, which is what I care about.

In Norlander and Parrish's latest podcast they discuss Few's comments:

http://sports.cbsimg.net/swf/audio/A...=true&seekTo=0

One of the reasons why Few spoke more to Norlander about the subject is that he was worried that his comments would be misconstrued when he said, in essence, that "two out of the last 3 champs do it the right way." It was NOT a jab at UNC, and he reiterated than Roy Williams is one of his true friends and one of the best, hardest working coaches in college basketball.

Here is Norlander's article on Few and the NCAA:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-3-point-woes/

This article is fantastic. Particularly the notion that if Gonzaga loses to a cheating blue blood in the final 4, and then that team has their banner removed 4 years later, what good does that do Gonzaga?? Hence, the reason why the NCAA needs to act more quickly on these cases. Not every program has the chance to make the final four every season.

bs

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    In Norlander and Parrish's latest podcast they discuss Few's comments:

http://sports.cbsimg.net/swf/audio/A...=true&seekTo=0

One of the reasons why Few spoke more to Norlander about the subject is that he was worried that his comments would be misconstrued when he said, in essence, that "two out of the last 3 champs do it the right way." It was NOT a jab at UNC, and he reiterated than Roy Williams is one of his true friends and one of the best, hardest working coaches in college basketball.

Here is Norlander's article on Few and the NCAA:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-3-point-woes/

This article is fantastic. Particularly the notion that if Gonzaga loses to a cheating blue blood in the final 4, and then that team has their banner removed 4 years later, what good does that do Gonzaga?? Hence, the reason why the NCAA needs to act more quickly on these cases. Not every program has the chance to make the final four every season.
    The cbs guys did a great job of breaking it down. I would recommend the podcast to any college basketball fan. The last 10 minutes are about Few and his ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    I don't have any insight on the information that head coaches of college programs receive about their players' academic records. My guess is they only hear about academics only if there's an athlete is at risk of not meeting NCAA standards or if someone gets a 4.0, in which case they might get a cake (subject to NCAA rules). My guess is that Roy Williams had the common sense to realize that an independent study class is an easier "A" or "B" or "C+" than freshman calculus. My guess is that Roy Williams and his coaching staff didn't realize that academic advisers were writing papers for students.

I also suspect that when he found out this was happening it was a "Goddammit" moment. My guess is that heads rolled within UNC after everything came to light. In my opinion, as the head of the snake, Williams bears some ceremonial responsibility. They should have had 2-3 scholarships stripped over a 4 year period. That seems fair. But to say that Williams is a crook like other head coaches because of this scandal is a severe overstatement. He recruits the right and legal way, which is what I care about.
    Pitino claimed not to know.

If you are the FB coach and have 80+ players, yeah...maybe. If you have 13 scholarship players and you don't KNOW. You are crooked.

The Google will tell you all you need to know about how North Carolina cheated and how Wayne Walden, long time friend of Old Roy and former academic advisor who Roy brought from Kansas, facilitated the enrollment of basketball players in these classes.....

The New York times and the local paper investigated and reported extensively on the scandal and the hypocrisy of the University and the NCAA......

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    The Google will tell you all you need to know about how North Carolina cheated and how Wayne Walden, long time friend of Old Roy and former academic advisor who Roy brought from Kansas, facilitated the enrollment of basketball players in these classes.....

The New York times and the local paper investigated and reported extensively on the scandal and the hypocrisy of the University and the NCAA......
    So, basically you think Few is full of poop. Google can present any viewpoint you want to support any theory you want. I'll take Few's word for it.

So, basically you think Few is full of poop. Google can present any viewpoint you want to support any theory you want. I'll take Few's word for it.
    I believe that he is Few's friend and Mark wanted it to stay that way, so walked back his original statement.

I don't believe that Williams had no knowledge of what had been happening and what was happening. But, as I pointed out above, it was his job to know. If he didn't know, he failed right there. For the millions he is paid, it is his job to keep track of the 13 young men under his umbrella.

You'll take Few's word for it over people who actually investigated UNC and found that for decades they have been putting athletes in fake classes? I don't think Mark Few knows more about what actually happened at UNC than people who actually investigated it for years.

Basically

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post

This says it all. Glad Few is pals w Roy Williams but if you’re gonna publicly call out NCAA president and demand he take action on the programs that cheat, well, whatever moral authority you have to do so is completely undermined by singing Roy’s praises at the same time.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

The more Coach Few says on this subject, the deeper the "hole" gets. Isn't there something a little more pressing to talk about? Like beating the Tarheels on Saturday? Mark's timing opening up this 'can couldn't have been worse.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    The more Coach Few says on this subject, the deeper the "hole" gets. Isn't there something a little more pressing to talk about? Like beating the Tarheels on Saturday? Mark's timing opening up this 'can couldn't have been worse.
    Couldn’t disagree more
    Never a bad time to speak up from a leadership perspective on moral and ethical issues
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

The UNC thing was an academic problem not an athletic problem. UNC was punished by losing accreditation. The NCAA had no jurisdiction. Even lawyer Jay Bilas who is as hard on the NCAA as anyone said they couldn't do anything. Athletes taking weak classes with the rest of the student body isnt the same as paying students to come to your school. Roy Williams has built his program not with one and dones but with 4 year players much like GU. Roy has been a coach for a lot of years between Kansas and UNC and I can't recall off the top of my head anything besides the academic scandal, which happened with all the sports programs at UNC plus non athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    The UNC thing was an academic problem not an athletic problem. UNC was punished by losing accreditation. The NCAA had no jurisdiction. Even lawyer Jay Bilas who is as hard on the NCAA as anyone said they couldn't do anything. Athletes taking weak classes with the rest of the student body isnt the same as paying students to come to your school. Roy Williams has built his program not with one and dones but with 4 year players much like GU. Roy has been a coach for a lot of years between Kansas and UNC and I can't recall off the top of my head anything besides the academic scandal, which happened with all the sports programs at UNC plus non athletes.
    Players have to be academically approved to play. With athletes, it is hands and gloves. They are entwined. To say one doesn't encompass the other is the B.S. that UNC claimed and that Emmert caved into. If players don't have to qualify by going to classes, AND DOING THE WORK, than of what use is the NCAA?