Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Post-Game Thoughts - Tennessee

Default Post-Game Thoughts - Tennessee

Heckuva game. Two very good teams. March Madness came early and the Vols were 3 points better today.

STATS: http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/....php?id=231732

Respect the Zags and each other in the post-mortem, please.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 12-09-2018 at 03:04 PM.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Thanks for the memories.

Hate losing to someone jawing as much as Admiral BANKfield was. Hurts.

Dude single handedly took it to us in the second half.

We still get Tillie and Crandall back, I like our chances against them come march.

Terrible coaching on the defensive end at the end. That’s what it comes down to. Clarke much better defender in that situation and proved it a few plays before. Have to know your own personnel.

Probably not going to hurt us much in the end. If we continue to take care of business, this loss may make us much better.

This loss demonstrates just how badly we need our full team. Rui was asked to do a little too much.

Scoring droughts at the ends of halves is starting to be a real issue.

Thought the guys battled pretty hard, Schofield is a player.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Great game, fun to watch. While it's hard to see a loss, it's to an extremely tough, hard nosed Top 10 (soon to be Top 5) team. This had the intensity of April written all over it. Schofield is a player and if he plays like that throughout the season, TN shouldn't lose again. Great game between two teams.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Straight on banked shot was a killer.
    I’m pretty sure Few took Rui out of the game when he picked up his 4th foul under 4’. Huge mistake. Tennessee got 5 quick points on bad D.
    Tennessee is good.
    Can’t win em all.

Poor defense by GU the last several minutes.

Do you think you'd have an outsized ego if your parents named you "General" or "Colonel"?
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Great game by two top level teams. Games like this tend to turn on a single play, and that play today was the banked-in 3 by Schofield.

Razor thin margin for error in games like these, would rather lose on a shot like that in December than in March/April.

Go ZAGS

Edit - Digging a little deeper, good job on TO's (11), not good enough from the FT line (63%). Too many missed bunnies in the first half, really like our toughness in the 2nd half to build that lead, kept the foot on the gas the whole game.

Sometimes you play well and still lose, Tennessee is good, so are we.

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by BearDownZags View Post
    Terrible coaching on the defensive end at the end. That’s what it comes down to. Clarke much better defender in that situation and proved it a few plays before. Have to know your own personnel.
    Why does there always need to be someone to blame? It's easy for someone watching on TV (armchair coaching) to see different things. TN is a very good team. This loss wasn't to an "Idaho State," it was to a now Top 5 team.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Congratulations to Tennessee...to the Admiral.....and especially to Coach Barnes …..

Rui didn't switch on the Admiral and the Admiral was on fire. Gotta know your opponent.

Lesson learned (I hope). With Grant Williams out, there was only one player that could beat them and he did. Zags lost their focus on defense. You can't let any player that is "feeling it", let alone Schofield, get free at crunch time.

Some good video for training purposes. This might make the team better. If they learn from it.

Congrats to a legitimate Tennessee team. Respect.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    Poor defense by GU the last several minutes.

Do you think you'd have an outsized ego if your parents named you "General" or "Colonel"?
    Yeah, except that he backed it up.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Maybe this outcome gives GU a sense of resolve heading to the Dean Dome on Saturday. . .I guess I'm looking for some lemonade in a barrel of lemons right now.

After the sluggish start, I was happy they were down by only a bucket at the half.

ZERO points from Josh today. Ouch.

Zags now 2 - 1 in nail biters. . .

Clarke was the best Zag on the floor today: 21 points, 9 rebs, 1 Asst, 2 Blocks, 3 steals, and ZERO turnovers

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Thanks for the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Rui didn't switch on the Admiral and the Admiral was on fire. Gotta know your opponent.

Lesson learned (I hope). With Grant Williams out, there was only one player that could beat them and he did. Zags lost their focus on defense. You can't let any player that is "feeling it", let alone Schofield, get free at crunch time.

Some good video for training purposes. This might make the team better. If they learn from it.
    Rui needs to improve vastly on D.

I hope someone asks Few his thoughts on taking Rui out.
    Never do something where the opponent says, “thank you”.
    I think it was Petrusev on the receiving end of that quick 5 point sequence. Not sure though.

As great of leader as Perkins is when he's not an offensive threat to the defence it makes running the sets late in a game more difficult. Great game and definitely not a bad loss. Tillie would have really helped out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

We play dumb defense as a team. Also, we are not good offensively when it matter most, at the end of games.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    We play dumb defense as a team. Also, we are not good offensively when it matter most, at the end of games.
    Overreaction?

Great game. So much fun to watch, such energy on both sides. Those games are so amazing to win, but really really hard to lose. Still...the Vols are a great team. Having your back broken by a banked 3 is....ugh. By no means a bad loss though.

It's very hard to go undefeated in College basketball, especially playing a schedule like we have with the injuries we have. They played their hearts out and barely beat us. This will let us grow and when we get back Crandal and Tillie we will be a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    The truth of the matter is that Rui is not a good defensive player. He has the tools, but not the instincts.

Play with fire too long and get burned. We lost by allowing three and a guy going off for a career high.

Zach had the opportunity to tie it up, but didn't. "Casey at the bat" type thing.

The thing is, I want him to take that shot every time. It just didn't go in....this time.
    I miss Mike Hart

A bit of a reality check today. Not withstanding the hype by ESPN announcers, Perkins is not Magic Johnson and Rui is not Tim Duncan.

It will be interesting to see what happens in North Carolina.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.