Thread: Retired Jersy Numbers

Default Retired Jersy Numbers

From time to time, there has been discussion as to whether GU should retire CV's jersey. I don't think the question is "if" they should retire the jersey number but when they should retire it.

I see today that UConn has decided to retire Ray Allen and Rebecca Lobos jersey numbers. Despite all of the professional players combing out of UConn, these are the first jersey numbers retired by the school.

Rebecca Lobo played for Connecticut from 1991-1995. Lobo played for the US National team in the 1996 Olympics. She played in the inaugural WNBA season in 1997 and played in the WNBA until 2003 when she retired. In 2010 Lobo was elected to the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame. Today she is a reporter and color analyst for ESPN specializing on Women's college basketball and WNBA games.

So it has been 23 years since she left UConn, and 15 years since she retired from the WNBA and 8 years since she was inducted into the Hall of Fame before UConn retired her jersey number.

Have faith GU fans, I think CV's jersey will get retired, but it probably won't be until some time after she retires from the WNBA.

ZagDad

Funny, I was just wondering about this topic the other night. I hope you’re wrong ZagDad, i’d like to see it happen sooner rather than later.

John Stockton is the most recent jersey retirement.

As a point of reference, JS retired from the NBA in May, 2003 and was inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame in September, 2009. The Utah Jazz retired JS's jersey number in November, 2004 and Gonzaga followed suit retiring JS's number in February 2005.

So at first glance, it would be expected that Gonzaga would retire CV's jersey number shortly after she retires from the WNBA.

However, the largest difference between CV and JS was in their college careers. While JS had a very good college career, CV had a record setting college career.

JS was Gonzaga's first all-WCC player of the year (on a 4th place team), had a career of over 1,000 points & 500 assists. In his senior year, he averaged 20.9 pts per game while leading all of America in shooting at 57.7%. He lead the WCC in scoring, assists and steals in his senior year. His Senior year, Gonzaga finished 17-11, their best in 17 years. He was drafted in the first round by the Utah Jazz at #16. However, he was not an all-American and he never won an NCAA tournament game. While JS had a very good, even outstanding college career, JS earned his jersey number retirement based not on his college career, but based on his hall of fame exploits in the NBA.

During her college career at Gonzaga University, CV was named WCC newcomer of the year as a freshman and then she went on to become the only women's player in West Coast Conference history to be named the conference's player of the year three times. She is also the only player to be named MVP of the WCC Women's Conference Tournament three times. In her sophomore year, CV set the GU Wbb season assist record at 239 and she lead the conference with 7.3 assists per game. She was also 3rd in the WCC in scoring. In her junior year, she broke her school record for assists with 321. She lead all of D-1 Wbb teams with 9.4 assists per game. She also broke the WCC and GU records for career assists after her junior year. During her senior year CV lead the WCC in both scoring and assists. During her Gonzaga career, GU won the WCC championship 4 times and won the WCC tourney 3 times. Post season success was 2nd round of the WNIT, Sweet Sixteen twice and Elite Eight once. Courtney Vandersloot is also the first Division I player, male or female, to have accumulated 2,000 points and 1,000 assists in a career. At the conclusion of her senior year CV won the Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award as the top NCAA Division I women's player no taller than 5'8" and Nancy Lieberman Award as the top player at her position in Division I women's basketball. She was drafted in the first round at #3 by the Chicago Sky.

It can argued (successfully in my opinion) that CV more than deserves to have her jersey number retired based solely on her college career successes even though her WNBA successes are only adding to her accolades. Hence, IMO, CV and the GU fans should not have to wait until after her professional career is over to be recognized.

However, keep in mind that Ammo had an unbelievable, record setting junior season and GU has not retired his number.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 12-08-2018 at 04:41 PM.

I remember when she checked in at her first exhibition game and then how she made a few brilliant plays shortly thereafter. My husband and I had a conversation after the game and we wondered how long it would take for her to start. Was it 4 or 5 games? Whenever it was she took control and never looked back. Her name needs to be in the rafters.