Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: 2019 - Brock Ravet Commit

West Valley's Rubright and Kittitas' Ravet cap careers with Athletes of the Year

https://www.yakimaherald.com/news/ne..._medium=social

Whoa! Did anyone else see this Ravet comment? I cannot imagine it but . . . “It's a little weird not playing on a summer team like I have for so many years," he said. "I'm excited for fall practice to get started. I'm hoping to make an impact right off, but if I redshirt I'm OK with that. Whatever they want I'll be ready."

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Whoa! Did anyone else see this Ravet comment? I cannot imagine it but . . . “It's a little weird not playing on a summer team like I have for so many years," he said. "I'm excited for fall practice to get started. I'm hoping to make an impact right off, but if I redshirt I'm OK with that. Whatever they want I'll be ready."
    If he redshirts, that means we likely don't need him, so that would be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    If he redshirts, that means we likely don't need him, so that would be fantastic.
    How could we not need him this year though? Unless we’re bringing in 2 guard grad transfers and Ayayi has finally stepped up.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    How could we not need him this year though? Unless we’re bringing in 2 guard grad transfers and Ayayi has finally stepped up.
    Great to hear Few and staff have at least reached out to Blackshear. This staff is aggressive, and wants a title.

Why not reach out to Pritchard too? By NCAA compliant measures of course I'm sure there are a few other grad transfers the staff has their eye on. You can bet that as soon as any guard puts their name in the portal, GU will be linked to them....maybe even following a Thornton commit.

These players signing on know they can come to GU and compete for a national championship....even in a "rebuilding" year. The grad transfer rule has allowed GU to skip the rebuilds.

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoZag View Post
    Great to hear Few and staff have at least reached out to Blackshear. This staff is aggressive, and wants a title.

Why not reach out to Pritchard too? By NCAA compliant measures of course I'm sure there are a few other grad transfers the staff has their eye on. You can bet that as soon as any guard puts their name in the portal, GU will be linked to them....maybe even following a Thornton commit.

These players signing on know they can come to GU and compete for a national championship....even in a "rebuilding" year. The grad transfer rule has allowed GU to skip the rebuilds.
    I like to call it a "reloading" year.

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoZag View Post
    Why not reach out to Pritchard too? By NCAA compliant measures of course
    if you're talking about peyton, i think there are two main problems:
    1) there is no NCAA compliant measure for doing so, and
    2) he's almost certainly not going anywhere. he just led them to the s16 and his childhood friend/high school teammate just transferred in from new mexico.

no harm in the thought, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    if you're talking about peyton, i think there are two main problems:
    1) there is no NCAA compliant measure for doing so, and
    2) he's almost certainly not going anywhere. he just led them to the s16 and his childhood friend/high school teammate just transferred in from new mexico.

no harm in the thought, of course.

Ah, I didn’t realize Mathis had already committed to the Ducks. Yeah, that would make it unlikely then.

Of course, following the Greg Foster plans, Mathis could change course, and him and Peyton could roll out to Spokane instead. Despite little information following Thornton’s visit, I would think he is still coming to GU. That being said, the GU staff has proven recently that they are seeking the highest level talent...so if they think they can do better than Thornton, they will tell Derrick sorry, and move on to the next.

As of right now though, Blackshear may be the only more talented player than Thornton. You can bet that other student athletes are still contemplating the grad transfer option though. They can probably still make that decision in August if they wanted to.

Kudos to Ravet for proclaiming himself a team first guy. Skip the tea leaves, just a good kid.

Mathis lived w/ Pritchard's family since 6th grade, and they consider themselves brothers. And it sounds like though he can shoot the 3, he's not really a Zag caliber player. W/ all the grads/defections/guys turning pro. UO needs to fill out the roster and is recruiting at a lower level to do so. Mathis gives them 7 scholly players.

As to Pritchard, I tend to believe Raise's report that he was considering going to the Zags at midseason when the Ducks were terrible; Altman was publicly calling his players out for not buying in and doing what he asked. But he later complimented them for buying in at the end of the season. After starting on the final 4 team as a fr, PP had to be frustrated, but from seeing him interviewed w/ Altman after getting to the sweet 16, it sure looked like they were close.

I tend to think that on the offensive end, Ravet is capable of having as good a fr year as PP did for the Ducks. Probably won't get the pt due to the transfer(s), but I too love the attitude jazz refers to. He'll be a foundational player for 4-5 years, a guy who leads the future short termer pro prospects as an upperclassman. I see him as similar to CK in that sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Kudos to Ravet for proclaiming himself a team first guy. Skip the tea leaves, just a good kid.
    Anybody else find it strange the staff said he would’ve received minutes on last year’s top 3 team but he’s now talking of a potential redshirt on not as good a team? Something isn’t adding up.

Anybody else find it strange the staff said he would’ve received minutes on last year’s top 3 team but he’s now talking of a potential redshirt on not as good a team? Something isn’t adding up.
    don't think it's that deep, cgg. i think he's just sending the signal that he's 100% in, regardless of what that means role-wise. wouldn't take it to mean anyone is leaning that direction, if for no other reason than we simply wouldn't have the bodies (tho i don't think that's the only reason).

I wouldn't make much of it, since it wasn't said by the coaches. Just him saying he's willing to do whatever's asked of him, is what it looked like to me.

That is my read also -- he is saying he is 100% on board with whatever the teams needs from him.

Great addition to the team.

I hope he plays. I don’t think I can handle another year of people who have never seen him play in an actual game sharing their personal wisdom about his shortcomings. I’d like to see him play and show us what he’s got so I can judge for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I hope he plays. I don’t think I can handle another year of people who have never seen him play in an actual game sharing their personal wisdom about his shortcomings. I’d like to see him play and show us what he’s got so I can judge for myself.
    I have seen him in the state B tournament... I've also stated on this board that the assist record could be in jeopardy as he can pass the rock and the quality of offensive players coming to GU surpasses the offensive talent Josh had to work with... he may become the best facilitator to ever wear a Zag uniform... only time will tell... he is a gym rat baller and when his game does make the jump from HS to D1 our opponents will have to try to take the ball out of his hands... not for his scoring but for his passing... his ability to put the ball in the basket is the cherry on top of his game.... again only time will tell... but he has the tools and the IQ to go with them... and as all who have read his words can see he is a TEAM first player...

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    I have seen him in the state B tournament... I've also stated on this board that the assist record could be in jeopardy as he can pass the rock and the quality of offensive players coming to GU surpasses the offensive talent Josh had to work with... he may become the best facilitator to ever wear a Zag uniform... only time will tell... he is a gym rat baller and when his game does make the jump from HS to D1 our opponents will have to try to take the ball out of his hands... not for his scoring but for his passing... his ability to put the ball in the basket is the cherry on top of his game.... again only time will tell... but he has the tools and the IQ to go with them... and as all who have read his words can see he is a TEAM first player...

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!
    I saw him v 4a Kentlake and agree with your thoughts, except I think it will be hard for him to match Josh's assist totals due to the other guys who will be sharing the ball, and his position. Kind of like how the year Josh played w/ NWG, he only averaged a little over 3 apg. I haven't seen Harris, for one, but it sounds like he'll have a substantial share of the playmaking duties.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I saw him v 4a Kentlake and agree with your thoughts, except I think it will be hard for him to match Josh's assist totals due to the other guys who will be sharing the ball, and his position. Kind of like how the year Josh played w/ NWG, he only averaged a little over 3 apg. I haven't seen Harris, for one, but it sounds like he'll have a substantial share of the playmaking duties.
    In my mind when he is on the floor I see him feeding Harris, Suggs etc... and I expect him to average double digit assists his last two years at GU.... he is that good of a facilitator and the offensive talent is going to get even better... Gonzaga is becoming a destination place to become a better player in a winning environment.... this could just be wishful thinking on my part but it's not out of the realm of possibility.... Sloot had over 1000 assists because of her ability and the talent around her... Brock will have better talent to feed the ball too...

Go!! Zags!!!

In my mind when he is on the floor I see him feeding Harris, Suggs etc... and I expect him to average double digit assists his last two years at GU.... he is that good of a facilitator and the offensive talent is going to get even better... Gonzaga is becoming a destination place to become a better player in a winning environment.... this could just be wishful thinking on my part but it's not out of the realm of possibility.... Sloot had over 1000 assists because of her ability and the talent around her... Brock will have better talent to feed the ball too...

Go!! Zags!!!
    Double digit assists may be overzealous. Only 2 players in the last 18 years have averaged double digits in division 1, both right at 10.0, and nobody under Few has even averaged 7 apg. I think a realistic goal would be 6 apg his junior and senior year. Also only 4 men have ever had 1000 career assists.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Double digit assists may be overzealous. Only 2 players in the last 18 years have averaged double digits in division 1, both right at 10.0, and nobody under Few has even averaged 7 apg. I think a realistic goal would be 6 apg his junior and senior year.
    Yeah, it's out there but assists have just as much to do with the guys putting the ball in the hole as the guy passing it... Ravet's passing skills are as good as I have seen from anyone his age... and IMO do resemble Sloot's... so as I wrote not out of the realm of possibility... records are made to be broken and Josh's record is not unattainable if Ravet lives up to his own expectations.... but double digits could be wishful thinking...

Go!! Zags!!!

Yeah, it's out there but assists have just as much to do with the guys putting the ball in the hole as the guy passing it... Ravet's passing skills are as good as I have seen from anyone his age... and IMO do resemble Sloot's... so as I wrote not out of the realm of possibility... records are made to be broken and Josh's record is not unattainable if Ravet lives up to his own expectations.... but double digits could be wishful thinking...

Go!! Zags!!!
    I don't think you can really compare the men's and women's games in terms of attainable stats. Sabrina Ionescu has 18 triple doubles with a year to go; she's likely to end up w/ around 25.

Usually, the guys who average close to dbl digit assists are lightning quick drive and dish guys who penetrate a lot and then kick out to shooters or feed an open big underneath when they draw help defense. I don't think Ravet fits that mold , though I do think that his passing abilities are on par w/ Stepp, Santangelo, Dickau, Perkins, imo the 4 best passers of the era.

The best individual seasons in the last two decades by Zags are Stepp's 6.9, Santangelo 6.4, Dickau and Perk 6.3, and Pargo and Stepp 6.0 per sports reference.com

Per ESPN, in the last 17 seasons, the Zags' leading assist guy has been over 5 apg five times, and under 4 apg three times. Over those 17 seasons, GU's team assist leader has averaged 4.7 apg.

I certainly agree that the other guys making shots is key; one interesting factoid that stood out in looking at this is that Raivio averaged 4.8 apg in Adam and Batista's last year, when both were off the charts effective in scoring efficiency, and 2.8 or less his other seasons.

Brock Ravet defense isn't D1 ready. Not even close.

Brock Ravet offense is D1 ready. Can hit shots immediately.

Hard worker, very skilled, will be a scorer at this level.

His defense may take years to be good enough, like it took Norvell almost 3 yrs to be solid.

Ravet is a stud in what he does well, but we dont want him as the end all, be all next season.

We are overthinking this. He needs time to defend at this level, heck, even at the HS level vs equal or better athletes.

Some give and take with him, but feel he's better suited to come along slowly and spot minutes this season.

I think Ravet needs to play next season. He needs game experience to assess where his defense is. We also might need his scoring from three.

I’ll trade deadeye three point shooting for D any time. Especially in the Dance.