Thread: Mark Titus Power Rankings

Default Mark Titus Power Rankings

Gonzaga is number 1. Tennessee is 7.

LINK
    Bring back the OCC

Thx 03. Liked his snap shot
    OK...LETS DO IT!..

I like his promotion/relegation concept! Three tiers - bottom half of MWC/WCC, top half o MWC/WCC, Pac-12. Rename them Conference of Champions, Divison 1, Division 2, and start soccer-style promotion/relegation!

I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comments on defense are obvious .
    Last edited by MDABE80; 12-07-2018 at 08:33 PM.

Default College Basketball Power Rankings 7 December

1. Gonzaga (9-0)
    Gonzaga has had more semi-close calls than a team this talented probably should, from Rui Hachimuraís last-second shot to beat Washington at home, to the Zags holding just a two-point lead over a horrible Illinois team at the under-four timeout in Maui a couple of weeks back. The uncomfortable truth is that if Gonzaga is going to contend for a national title, the Bulldogs defense needs some serious work between now and the start of the NCAA tournament. But thatís not fun to talk about, so letís focus instead on why this Gonzaga team is the stuff of nightmares.

And by that I mean letís focus on how when Killian Tillie comes back and (Iím assuming) bumps Corey Kispert out of the starting lineup, every single one of Gonzagaís starters will have the capacity to drop 30 on any given night. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. I mean, do you have any idea how terrifying it is that Josh Perkins is fourth on the team in field goal attempts? This is a man who hit 18 3s in a four-game stretch for the Zags last November and averaged 12.3 points per game a season ago Ö and heís going to be Gonzagaís fifth scoring option when Tillie gets healthy. Thatís bananas.

I canít imagine being the coach of some tiny-ass WCC school that might have to play these guys three times in the span of nine weeks, which is why Iíve said it before and Iíll say it again: The WCC and Mountain West need to combine their best basketball programs into one conference, send the likes of San Jose State and Portland packing, and partner with the Pac-12 to create the first promotion/relegation system in college basketball. Tell me with a straight face that you wouldnít stay up every night to watch Bill Walton call Pac-12 games if Gonzaga and Nevada replaced Washington State and Cal this year. You canít.

https://www.theringer.com/college-ba...-outflank-duke

I know I will get negative feedback on this (because I have before), but.....

This team harkens back to the days of Morrison, Ravio, and Batista. In other words, they are just gonna have to win by running up high scores. The other teams are going to get theirs.

Sure, Clarke provides much better rim protection than the fore mentioned legacy team, but you can bank on the fact that Clarke is going to only be available, on average, for about 20-30 minutes a game. This is fine. I don't want this man holding back on his aggressive play.

Sure, Batista could barely jump over a phone book and Rui will rebound much better to mitigate second chance points from the opposition, but we have seen opponents get high percentage shots inside when Clarke is not present.

Sure, this current team has much better overall length to make us dream of greater defensive potential, but the Zags are fielding a short rotation at the guard position and these guys are going to get tired from a high octane offensive philosophy.

We just have to acknowledge this going in. The Zags are vulnerable to disruptive defenses. They are vulnerable to exotic defenses. They are vulnerable to teams that take the air out of the ball. They are vulnerable to teams that find ways to get stops...….because such teams will get their points because of previous stated reasons.

The Zags can beat anyone because of their offensive prowess, but stats that reflect offensive efficiency: turnovers, field goal percentage, assists, and free throw shooting are going to determine this team's ultimate fate against top competition. This is why teams like Michigan, Virginia, Florida State, and Syracuse are going to be a real hurdle for this team to overcome.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    1. Gonzaga (9-0)
    Gonzaga has had more semi-close calls than a team this talented probably should, from Rui Hachimuraís last-second shot to beat Washington at home, to the Zags holding just a two-point lead over a horrible Illinois team at the under-four timeout in Maui a couple of weeks back. The uncomfortable truth is that if Gonzaga is going to contend for a national title, the Bulldogs defense needs some serious work between now and the start of the NCAA tournament. But thatís not fun to talk about, so letís focus instead on why this Gonzaga team is the stuff of nightmares.

And by that I mean letís focus on how when Killian Tillie comes back and (Iím assuming) bumps Corey Kispert out of the starting lineup, every single one of Gonzagaís starters will have the capacity to drop 30 on any given night. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. I mean, do you have any idea how terrifying it is that Josh Perkins is fourth on the team in field goal attempts? This is a man who hit 18 3s in a four-game stretch for the Zags last November and averaged 12.3 points per game a season ago Ö and heís going to be Gonzagaís fifth scoring option when Tillie gets healthy. Thatís bananas.

I canít imagine being the coach of some tiny-ass WCC school that might have to play these guys three times in the span of nine weeks, which is why Iíve said it before and Iíll say it again: The WCC and Mountain West need to combine their best basketball programs into one conference, send the likes of San Jose State and Portland packing, and partner with the Pac-12 to create the first promotion/relegation system in college basketball. Tell me with a straight face that you wouldnít stay up every night to watch Bill Walton call Pac-12 games if Gonzaga and Nevada replaced Washington State and Cal this year. You canít.

https://www.theringer.com/college-ba...-outflank-duke
    Thanks, was about to post the same thing. Seems like a good take on the Zaggies and he's not wrong that the defense really needs to improve and hopefully the return of Tillie and Crandell lets them be more assertive and less scared of fouling.

What he writes about Tennessee:
    7. Tennessee (6-1)
    Do you know how to talk to your kids about the possibility of Grant Williams winning national player of the year? Itís something you might want to think about now, folks, because I have some startling news: Williams is currently the best player in college basketball not named Zion Williamson. Through seven games, heís averaging 20.4 points, 8.9 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 1.6 blocks, and 1.0 steals while shooting 45.5 percent from the 3-point line and 59.3 percent from the field. If you arenít great with numbers, trust me when I say that what the reigning SEC player of the year is doing is absolutely bonkers. Iím not dumb enough to expect him to keep this pace up for the rest of the season, especially since the SEC is kind of loaded. But as every ounce of attention seems to find its way toward Williamson, itís worth pointing out that thereís a guy in Knoxville who can also do whatever he wants on a basketball court.

But wait, thereís more! As great as Williams has been, heís far from a one-man show. Admiral Schofield is basically a clone of Williams and is also putting up incredible numbers, while Jordan Bone is the perfect point guard for what the Vols need (although, it would certainly help if he starting making some 3s). Five Tennessee players are averaging 10 or more points, and the Volsí only loss came in overtime against Kansas in a game they let slip through their fingers once Williams fouled out. There is a lot to love about this Tennessee team, which is why I suggest clearing your schedule Sunday, parking your ass in your recliner, and watching the Vols play Gonzaga in a game that promises to make talking heads say, ďThis has an Elite Eight or Final Four feel to it.Ē
    ďWeíre not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

I love Mark Titus, his One Shining Podcast is hysterical and insightful.

"Freedom of movement" has changed how teams "should" play defense.

I dislike defenses like Illinois Washington west virgina....totally disrupts the enjoyment of watching basketball...ugly. Refs should call every grab push or touch to stop this type of play IMO. How many noticed that blatant push by Washington guard on Perk? Just shoved him right in front of the ref top of key extended just dribbling ...not a touch a push. Get rid of aggressive play by fouling it out of existence please.

NBA lacks this style for a reason....not entertaining.
    Last edited by Zagceo; 12-07-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    OK...LETS DO IT!..

Titus is the best. I will never ever understand why some people don't like him. I laugh out loud more to his power rankings than just about anything else.

Agreed, Mark Titus is my favorite college basketball writer. The guy is hilarious.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by IMADEYOUREADTHIS View Post
    I love Mark Titus, his One Shining Podcast is hysterical and insightful.
    My favorite podcast - Tate and Titus talking about the FBI stuff, throwing in subtle South Park references, had me laughing so much. This can get somewhat embarrassing because I'm usually listening while riding the train too and from work.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    I know I will get negative feedback on this (because I have before), but.....

This team harkens back to the days of Morrison, Ravio, and Batista. In other words, they are just gonna have to win by running up high scores. The other teams are going to get theirs.

Sure, Clarke provides much better rim protection than the fore mentioned legacy team, but you can bank on the fact that Clarke is going to only be available, on average, for about 20-30 minutes a game. This is fine. I don't want this man holding back on his aggressive play.

Sure, Batista could barely jump over a phone book and Rui will rebound much better to mitigate second chance points from the opposition, but we have seen opponents get high percentage shots inside when Clarke is not present.

Sure, this current team has much better overall length to make us dream of greater defensive potential, but the Zags are fielding a short rotation at the guard position and these guys are going to get tired from a high octane offensive philosophy.

We just have to acknowledge this going in. The Zags are vulnerable to disruptive defenses. They are vulnerable to exotic defenses. They are vulnerable to teams that take the air out of the ball. They are vulnerable to teams that find ways to get stops...….because such teams will get their points because of previous stated reasons.

The Zags can beat anyone because of their offensive prowess, but stats that reflect offensive efficiency: turnovers, field goal percentage, assists, and free throw shooting are going to determine this team's ultimate fate against top competition. This is why teams like Michigan, Virginia, Florida State, and Syracuse are going to be a real hurdle for this team to overcome.
    We can only hope that the defense improves when Tillie and Crandall are fully healthy. This team will never defend as well as the NWG/Karnowski crew, but they need to play better than they have.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    "Freedom of movement" has changed how teams "should" play defense.

I dislike defenses like Illinois Washington west virgina....totally disrupts the enjoyment of watching basketball...ugly. Refs should call every grab push or touch to stop this type of play IMO. How many noticed that blatant push by Washington guard on Perk? Just shoved him right in front of the ref top of key extended just dribbling ...not a touch a push. Get rid of aggressive play by fouling it out of existence please.

NBA lacks this style for a reason....not entertaining.
    And call flops as Technical fouls. The one on Clarke, when he spun, and the guy fell before he got hit...no that was ANOTHER one when Clarke drove.

There are 2 of the fouls against Clarke, called on flops. Make them 2 shots plus the ball, and reviewable. Coaches would tell the players to stop it.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I watched several North Carolina games. They have a guard #2 Colby White. He's the king of flopping. BYU can learn from this kid. When he's shooting a three ball it's like someone has tased him. Lifeless fall to the floor. When he "takes a charge" he throws his head back and it's emphasized with his hair and body flying back. He's really got this move down. Something to watch when the Zags play them. I agree T them up and this will slow a bit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk