Thread: Drive & Finish at the Rim

Default Drive & Finish at the Rim

I haven't been a basketball fan for nearly as long as many here, nor do I pretend to know the game nearly as well.

That said, my question:

Do we have a surprisingly low ability/incidence of dribble penetration to the hoop for a basket? Is this part of the new positionless basketball or not a major worry among elite offenses?

(Given that we are rated the nation's #1 offense and have been among the top offenses in the country for each of the past several years, we are obviously doing an amazing job on offense overall)

I was rewatching the UW game and with about 12 minutes to go, the announcers mentioned that since UW had been forced into playing two of their defenders who each had 4 fouls, we should simply drive to the basket again and again. I realized that I don't remember ever seeing GU do that, and we didn't/couldn't do it to UW.

Honestly, everyone on Gonzaga just looked confused out there last night

None more than Jones, who was loitering, not playing. A big falloff from prior games. Only Petrol, Kispert and Rui looked into the game. Norvell was spaced out, Perkins did some great things but seemed floating and Clarke, well, nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Honestly, everyone on Gonzaga just looked confused out there last night

Perkins got into seams in the defense but didn’t look to score and appeared to have zero confidence shooting at any distance under 30 feet.

As beachballbum said in a previous thread, Washington's defense was designed to lure dribble drives so they could double team the penetration. The correct thing to do was precisely what the Zags did on the last play. Enter the ball into the high post and let Rui or Clarke go to work with either a shot or another pass. The announcers were correct in saying Gonzaga should attack the rim, but a dribble drive attack would have been suicide.

I think you're right. Our offense is not really geared toward getting a ton of penetration from dribble drives.

It depends on the season. Perkins is really the only one who consistently uses dribble drives to create open looks on the 3 point line. You saw how a complete lack of it makes attacking the 2/3 zone difficult when you can't pass the ball inside either.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

That was a dreadful game which I am trying to forget but can't for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    As beachballbum said in a previous thread, Washington's defense was designed to lure dribble drives so they could double team the penetration. The correct thing to do was precisely what the Zags did on the last play. Enter the ball into the high post and let Rui or Clarke go to work with either a shot or another pass. The announcers were correct in saying Gonzaga should attack the rim, but a dribble drive attack would have been suicide.
    Thanks for the explanation. I guess my anecdotal obersations about GU not being a drive-and-score offense wasn't really specific to last night, though it was highlighted by last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    I think you're right. Our offense is not really geared toward getting a ton of penetration from dribble drives.
    This is what I was getting at earlier in the thread when I said it felt like we'd been "scout'ed-up" some, though I know UW plays that weird Syracuse zone, so it might've just been their normal thing.

Still, it seems valid at this point that teams are going to try to make us uncomfortable with pressure. Duke sat back and let us work, Illinois didn't. UW didn't.

Someone here will know better than me, but that's what I sense
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

We gave up consistently driving the key last year. Norvell does occasionally but it's pretty rare with Josh. The one thing that's reduced penetration what I mentioned last season. 3 point shooting has taken over. As I recall about 50% of our shot were long distance. And the % success with threes has improved for most teams so the preponderance of points are from 3. Not so much this year with the bigs scoring so well down low. I'm not sure ( at least for GU this year) it's necessary to penetrate. What's necessary is the threat of key penetration. For other teams, stop and pop seems to be the order of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    As I recall about 50% of our shot were long distance.
    No, it's typically 33-37%. So far, it's 37.3% precisely. Few's teams are ALWAYS on the low end for 3-pt attempts. His philosophy has always been that twos win games. Hoop-Math.com is a great site for player/team fine details.

BTW, we have 3 players that are perfect from the three. Any guesses???

BRANDON CLARK ================== 2 of 2!
    JEREMY JONES ================== 4 of 4!!
    JACK BEACH ================== 1 of 1 !!!!!!!!!

Also, did you know, Jeremy Jones hasn't shot even ONE 2-pt jump shot in NINE games? Who knew? He needs to do that because no one will expect it. Surprise!

Jeremy is a solid guy off the bench and I'm certain he can score more than he's doing.

== cheers ==

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I haven't been a basketball fan for nearly as long as many here, nor do I pretend to know the game nearly as well.

That said, my question:

Do we have a surprisingly low ability/incidence of dribble penetration to the hoop for a basket? Is this part of the new positionless basketball or not a major worry among elite offenses?

(Given that we are rated the nation's #1 offense and have been among the top offenses in the country for each of the past several years, we are obviously doing an amazing job on offense overall)

I was rewatching the UW game and with about 12 minutes to go, the announcers mentioned that since UW had been forced into playing two of their defenders who each had 4 fouls, we should simply drive to the basket again and again. I realized that I don't remember ever seeing GU do that, and we didn't/couldn't do it to UW.
    I think your observation, broadly speaking, is related to talk here of the next level in continued evolution of Zags recruiting: landing elite, highest level U.S. guards. Guards w the skill, NBA athleticism and quickness to drive to the hoop and throw one down. Pargo is closest we’ve had to that imo. Norvell is sort of in the ballpark as is Perkins in terms of skill but neither has that next level athleticism. 2020 commit Dominic Harris may prove to be best example yet
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

"The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-